tho_mi

Small quiet fan for Labists case

Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:20 pm

Hey,

I finally got myself a starters kit last weekend. I bought the one from Labists that comes with a small fan (30mm x 30mm). Unfortunately the fan is annoyingly loud and this seems to be a common problem with that kit (according to the reviews on Amazon). I looked for recommendations for small fans. So far I mainly found ones for 40mm x 40mm fans. Are there any recommendations for smaller fans too or does it not really matter which one I buy?

Thanks!

Disclaimer: I also posted this question on Reddit, but it hasn't been approved yet.

LTolledo

Re: Small quiet fan for Labists case

Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:58 pm

with the kit's included fan powered on, and using a smartphone's sound meter app, distance set between the fan and the smartphone at 30mm....

can you tell us the db (decibel) reading that you are getting?
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

kerry_s

Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:07 pm

those fans are cheap mine went out after only a month, you can use the 3.3v connection to make it quieter or just go without and trust the heat sinks.
i been running mine with just the heat sinks since the fan started screaming one mourning. idle temp is now <45c, using temp is just a little above 50c for action packed 720p movies, nothing else i do actually strains it.

gordon77

Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:14 pm

Try a 12v fan run off 5v for quiet operation.

Or something like the fan shim and control it so it only works when the pi is very busy / hot.

tho_mi

Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:49 pm

LTolledo wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:58 pm
with the kit's included fan powered on, and using a smartphone's sound meter app, distance set between the fan and the smartphone at 30mm....

can you tell us the db (decibel) reading that you are getting?
About 2m away I got 35-40 db (and in that case I managed to make it "run smoothly").
kerry_s wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:07 pm
those fans are cheap mine went out after only a month, you can use the 3.3v connection to make it quieter or just go without and trust the heat sinks.
i been running mine with just the heat sinks since the fan started screaming one mourning. idle temp is now <45c, using temp is just a little above 50c for action packed 720p movies, nothing else i do actually strains it.
Right now the case is open and I'm downloading data via FileZilla. Temperate is around 55°. With the fan it was just a bit above 30° (according to measure_temp).

edit:
Temperature is a bit above 60°.

kerry_s

Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:10 pm

yeah, i forgot that case has no air flow, which is why replaced mine with a simple stand.
try turning the case on it's side, the heat gets trapped on the backside of the board.

PhatFil

Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:36 am

Noctua brand fans are the goto choice for 3d printer upgrades

but they are not cheap https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DC ... BBF&adurl=

tho_mi

Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:57 am

PhatFil wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:36 am
Noctua brand fans are the goto choice for 3d printer upgrades

but they are not cheap https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DC ... BBF&adurl=
Yeah, they were among those recommended. Problem is, I couldn't find any 30x30.

Tzarls
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:09 am

tho_mi wrote:

About 2m away I got 35-40 db (and in that case I managed to make it "run smoothly").
Those numbers mean nothing since we don't know background noise levek in you room, or your phone's microphone sensitivity... Just to give some meaning, tell us the dB readings with the fan on and then the fan off. The difference will tell us something more about how noisy it really is (but then it will be just a very general idea).

LTolledo

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:44 am

Fan test something like this:

ambient condition with the fan OFF:
same case with fan running on an RPi3B+ at the back of the monitor
and another case with same fan on an RPi4B-4G at the back of another bigger monitor just above the first small monitor.
and another AC fan for room heating is running (just 500mm below the table)
the sponge is used to dampen any other vibrations from the table that may be transferred to the phone's mic.

below is the setup: reading fluctuating between 19.6 to 21db
RPi Fan test OFF.jpg
RPi Fan test OFF.jpg (123.24 KiB) Viewed 1929 times

and here is the reading when the fan is turned ON (picture taken approx 10 seconds after turned ON)
RPi Fan test ON.jpg
RPi Fan test ON.jpg (112.62 KiB) Viewed 1929 times

i guess this is still very irritatingly noisy for somebody else.... :mrgreen:

Some people be like:

tho_mi

Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:33 pm

Tzarls wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:09 am
tho_mi wrote:

Those numbers mean nothing since we don't know background noise levek in you room, or your phone's microphone sensitivity... Just to give some meaning, tell us the dB readings with the fan on and then the fan off. The difference will tell us something more about how noisy it really is (but then it will be just a very general idea).
Touche, you're right that one needs something to compare. I will do that later.

Of course it was basically silent in the room and 40 db is definitely too loud. But of course I'm curious and also want to know how loud it is/was without the fan on.
LTolledo wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:44 am
Fan test something like this:

ambient condition with the fan OFF:
same case with fan running on an RPi3B+ at the back of the monitor
and another case with same fan on an RPi4B-4G at the back of another bigger monitor just above the first small monitor.
and another AC fan for room heating is running (just 500mm below the table)
the sponge is used to dampen any other vibrations from the table that may be transferred to the phone's mic.

below is the setup: reading fluctuating between 19.6 to 21db
RPi Fan test OFF.jpg

and here is the reading when the fan is turned ON (picture taken approx 10 seconds after turned ON)
RPi Fan test ON.jpg

i guess this is still very irritatingly noisy for somebody else.... :mrgreen:
The scientist in me is very proud of you :mrgreen: :ugeek:

tho_mi

Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:25 pm

Little update. Apparently I'm not satisfied with the volume of any fan, so I decided to get a Flirc case (https://flirc.tv/more/raspberry-pi-4-case). Works perfectly, Raspberry Pi never gets above 50° and no noises.

quodling

Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:45 am

I find the same - I have three Pi4s in the sexy eleduino cases - silent as can be, Got another in a labists case - annoying fan noise - I will be unplugging the fan while I look for a better fan or a good cheap case.

jahboater

Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:08 am

As a general thing with fans, small and quiet don't mix. Smaller fans must rev much higher for a decent airflow so tend to be more noisy.

Recently I accidentally knocked off the stick-on passive heatsink from my Pi4.
I am continuing to use it with a 2000MHz overclock, and it is quite happy!
It idles at around 40C and doesn't throttle with any normal workload.
Pi4 8GB running PIOS64 Lite

NimbUx

Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:09 pm

I had the same kit (Labists'). their so-called "silent fan" was too noisy for my taste while supplied 5 Volts from the Pi, acceptable when I switched to feeding it 3.3 volts only. It lasted for about 8 months, after which said fan started vibrating and making much noise even on 3 volts ! The merchant did send a replacement under guaranty... that one was noisy even out of its box :=)

I ended up ditching fans altogether, SOC temps stay under 55°C while viewing video in Chromium :
fans in my opinion are not needed for regular usage - even with medium overclocking. A couple small surface stickable radiators on the major chips are enough - if even that. And silence has no price !

LTolledo

Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:28 pm

I've always been able to silence most "noisy" fans that I have..
requires a cocktail of lubricants... and its good for at least another 8700-hour continuous quiet use. ;)

for those really noisy fans, due to unbalanced blade configuration.... those are "silenced permanently".... :mrgreen:

Some people be like:

NimbUx

Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:31 pm

LTolledo wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:28 pm
I've always been able to silence most "noisy" fans that I have..
requires a cocktail of lubricants... and its good for at least another 8700-hour continuous quiet use. ;)
What kind, oil, grease ...? Praytell...
(edited, to add:) looking now at the trashed 40 mm fan, there is no access hole to the bearings, under the sticked label or anywhere. The "silent fan" was greased for life, I would say - only its life expectancy is very short. Oh, well...
for those really noisy fans, due to unbalanced blade configuration.... those are "silenced permanently"....
Grin !
Last edited by NimbUx on Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperf3kt

Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:18 pm

Sitting here with four 120mm fans, one 130mm fan and a 90mm fan all running on my desktop PC less than a meter away, and the sound meter app on my phone reports an average of 35 decibels (barely louder than a whisper)
If I step outside, I get an average reading of 25 decibels.

Fans don't have to be noisy...
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Rose coloured glasses are difficult to see through.

NimbUx

Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:36 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:18 pm
Fans don't have to be noisy...
They don't, but silent, endurant, quality fans will cost - retailed - as much as your Pi's. All but.

davidcoton

Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:17 pm

I needed a case and cooling for a Pi that would run 24/7 with full load on all four CPU cores.
Running as a bare board, even with small heatsinks, it was hitting the thermal throttle.

I bought this.
I didn't expect much, indeed for the price I was expecting to scrap the fan and replace it with something better.
To my surprise the 20mm fan is whisper quiet even running at 5V and provides plenty of cooling.
I can sit right next to it watching TV without noticing it. It's barely audible in a quiet room.

I modded the kit to put the fan outside, blowing in, instead of the pictured inside, blowing out. This improved the cooling considerably.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

Return to “Beginners”