JT4

Audio output

Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:09 pm

Hello,
I am new to this but having trouble searching for my answer. I use Raspberry PI 3B+ in an arcade cabinet that doubles as a jukebox (so I want better than 2.0 audio). I plugged in some old computer speakers with sub-woofer but all I get is 2.0 audio no sub-woofer. I tried outputting from the PI 3.5mm jack and from HDMI to TV then out to speakers with 3.5mm jack and its louder now from TV but still just 2.0 audio no sub-woofer. I am debating if I could use the PI WiFi for audio to a set a Bluetooth computer speakers with sub-woofer? Now that I write this I guess it is more of a question on the Bluetooth speakers not the PI. Anyways has anyone done this and managed to get 2.1 audio? What speakers did you use?

Zwartoog

Re: Audio output

Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:11 pm

Not sure why the subwoofer does not work: this could be the problem of the speakers. Does it work when you connect these to another source (e.g. your computer)?

It can also be that the Pi does not output low audio frequencies. It seems generally accepted that if you want some decent audio output, you need a separate audio HAT. There are quite some available, from relatively cheap, to HiFi-oriented ones.

drgeoff

Re: Audio output

Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:53 pm

Whether via HDMI or the 3.5mm jack the RPi outputs two audio channels. A 2.1 speaker system will only give output from the woofer if the speaker system incorporates circuitry to take signals from the two inputs (typically left and right stereo) and feed the woofer. Obviously if the speaker system is expecting three input channels (left, right, LF) there will be no output from the woofer.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Return to “Beginners”