lojy8

FTP(S) Server with Raspberry Pi Zero

Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:16 pm

Hi there!

I am looking to buy a cheap Raspberry Pi and wanted to know wether the processing power of the Pi zero, is enough for hosting a FTP or FTPS Server on it.
I mean, it is surely possible, but how will the performance be? Will it be much different than from a, for example, Raspberry Pi 3 or even 4?
And how much more processing power would FTPS need? Is the difference to FTP noticeable? Will I be able to have at least 10Mb/s via the internet (not only local).s

I haven't found any infos on the internet, so I'm hoping that someone has already tried it here :)

Thanks a lot!
Lukas

topguy

Re: FTP(S) Server with Raspberry Pi Zero

Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:32 pm

And how much more processing power would FTPS need?
Less than you think. your bottleneck will probably be Wifi or Ethernet performance and maybe SD-card read speeds ( but probably not )
And how many concurrent clients do you expect to serve.

I would suggest a Pi3 or Pi4 just because they are so much more easier to work with. ( includes USB ports and ethernet. )

tpyo kingg

Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:45 pm

It would depend quite a bit more on the networking than on the Raspberry Pi. Though with microSD cards, writing will be slower than reading.

As for the protocol, I'd recommend staying with the built-in SFTP instead of either of the legacy protocols FTP or FTPS. It is available by turning on the SSH support in raspi-config. Many applications have built-in SFTP support and in contrast to FTP and FTPS it is easy to set up.

PhatFil

Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:51 pm

How many concurrent client requests do you expect? if a private server for your use and limited concurrent requests Its worth the time to test and confirm. my own limited lan testing of a pi-0-w would suggest that 10mb/s is a reasonable expectation

lojy8

Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:39 pm

PhatFil wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:51 pm
How many concurrent client requests do you expect?
It will only be used by myself for backups. I will report here how my project turned out!
But I didn't expect to receive so many answers, thank all of you, this community is really awesome ;)!

See you in a week or so!

Return to “Beginners”