I am trying to get a Rasp Pi Zero W up and running for a project that I'm working on. Here is what I've done so far:
1. Download Raspbian Lite from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/ . Leave the downlaoded ZIP file in the Downloads folder.
2. Obtain a micro-SD card. I used a 32GB card. Insert it into an SD to Micro-SD adapter and then into the desktop PC (running Windows 8.1).
3. Run Balena Etcher v1.5.63
4. Select the image file (which in my case was 2020-02-13-raspbian-buster-lite.zip).
5. Select the Micro-SD card.
6. Click Flash. It should write the image to the card. It apparently gave a verification error, which I ignored for now.
7. Remove the SD card from the PC, and plug it in again. This is necessary because Etcher ejects the card after flashing it.
8. Create a blank file containing a single space, and write it to the Boot partition on the card as file name ssh (no extension).
9. Create a file using Notepad++ containing the text:
10. After creating the file select Edit/EOL Conversion/Unix
11. Save the file to the Boot partition on the card as wpa_supplicant.conf
12. Eject the card from the PC, remove it, and plug it into the Rpi.
13. Power up the Rpi.
How do I know that the Pi has booted successfully? Does it flash a LED or something? If it doesn't do this by default, can I load a program that does this, just so I know it's alive?
How do I know its IP number or its WiFi MAC address so that I can connect to it? Does its MAC address start with a fixed 3 bytes representing the manufacturer? What are they?
Thanks for any help you can provide.