rowan.bradley

Trouble getting started

Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:43 pm

I am trying to get a Rasp Pi Zero W up and running for a project that I'm working on. Here is what I've done so far:
1. Download Raspbian Lite from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/ . Leave the downlaoded ZIP file in the Downloads folder.
2. Obtain a micro-SD card. I used a 32GB card. Insert it into an SD to Micro-SD adapter and then into the desktop PC (running Windows 8.1).
3. Run Balena Etcher v1.5.63
4. Select the image file (which in my case was 2020-02-13-raspbian-buster-lite.zip).
5. Select the Micro-SD card.
6. Click Flash. It should write the image to the card. It apparently gave a verification error, which I ignored for now.
7. Remove the SD card from the PC, and plug it in again. This is necessary because Etcher ejects the card after flashing it.
8. Create a blank file containing a single space, and write it to the Boot partition on the card as file name ssh (no extension).
9. Create a file using Notepad++ containing the text:
country=GB
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
ssid="Brightwell"
psk="MyNetworkKey"
}
10. After creating the file select Edit/EOL Conversion/Unix
11. Save the file to the Boot partition on the card as wpa_supplicant.conf
12. Eject the card from the PC, remove it, and plug it into the Rpi.
13. Power up the Rpi.

How do I know that the Pi has booted successfully? Does it flash a LED or something? If it doesn't do this by default, can I load a program that does this, just so I know it's alive?

How do I know its IP number or its WiFi MAC address so that I can connect to it? Does its MAC address start with a fixed 3 bytes representing the manufacturer? What are they?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Rowan

neilgl

Re: Trouble getting started

Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:47 pm

Have a look in your router (attached devices) or using fing on ipad/phone to look for the ip address of the pi.

B.Goode

Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:53 pm

rowan.bradley wrote:
Does its MAC address start with a fixed 3 bytes representing the manufacturer?

Most of what you have written looks broadly correct, apart from the verification failure...

Regarding that specific detail above

B8:27:EB:xx:xx:xx
DC:A6:32:xx:xx:xx

Your zero will be in the first range.

drgeoff

Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:07 pm

rowan.bradley wrote:
6. Click Flash. It should write the image to the card. It apparently gave a verification error, which I ignored for now.
Nuff sed!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

jbudd

Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:45 am

When you power up the Pi Zero you ought to see the green LED flickering.

Take a look at the SD card back in your PC. If it has ever booted, wpa_supplicant.conf will have disappeared from the boot partition. Same with ssh or ssh.txt if you created those.

This page describes how to tell if the board is alive https://learn.adafruit.com/raspberry-pi ... -zero-dead

fruitoftheloom

Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:40 am

rowan.bradley wrote:
I am trying to get a Rasp Pi Zero W up and running for a project that I'm working on. Here is what I've done so far:
1. Download Raspbian Lite from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/ . Leave the downlaoded ZIP file in the Downloads folder.
2. Obtain a micro-SD card. I used a 32GB card. Insert it into an SD to Micro-SD adapter and then into the desktop PC (running Windows 8.1).
3. Run Balena Etcher v1.5.63
4. Select the image file (which in my case was 2020-02-13-raspbian-buster-lite.zip).
5. Select the Micro-SD card.
7. Remove the SD card from the PC, and plug it in again. This is necessary because Etcher ejects the card after flashing it.
8. Create a blank file containing a single space, and write it to the Boot partition on the card as file name ssh (no extension).
9. Create a file using Notepad++ containing the text:
country=GB
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
ssid="Brightwell"
psk="MyNetworkKey"
}
10. After creating the file select Edit/EOL Conversion/Unix
11. Save the file to the Boot partition on the card as wpa_supplicant.conf
12. Eject the card from the PC, remove it, and plug it into the Rpi.
13. Power up the Rpi.

How do I know that the Pi has booted successfully? Does it flash a LED or something? If it doesn't do this by default, can I load a program that does this, just so I know it's alive?

How do I know its IP number or its WiFi MAC address so that I can connect to it? Does its MAC address start with a fixed 3 bytes representing the manufacturer? What are they?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Rowan

It apparently gave a verification error, which I ignored for now.

Do not ignore errors, that message is there for a reason !

I would suggest your SD Card Reader may not be SDHC / SDXC compliant, suggest spend a couple of ££ on a USB Card Reader.
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

peppe8o

Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:30 pm

Addictional check using Balena Etcher. In past, I sometimes experienced different results between running it as simple user and using it as Administrator. Try running Balena Etcher as administrator, maybe it solves the error

fruitoftheloom

Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:52 am

peppe8o wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:30 pm
Addictional check using Balena Etcher. In past, I sometimes experienced different results between running it as simple user and using it as Administrator. Try running Balena Etcher as administrator, maybe it solves the error

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=252758&start=100#p1616288
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

Return to “Beginners”