hanna

yet another noob wireless issue

Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:10 am

hey all - brand new user trying to get my Pi working with wifi, using the wheezy version. i'm trying to get an Encore ENUWI-G2 usb wireless dongle working. since i can see it in the WiFi config utility but cannot connect, i'm assuming i have a driver issue. (no encryption on my WiFi network, just mac address filtering, and since the dongle was previously working in another device, i know it's mac address is properly registered)

researching this subject is a little overwhelming - i've tried to determine the proper driver needed by using the usbutils command but the command doesn't work. if i knew what driver was needed, i don't think i know how to install it without an network connection. so i have several questions:
how do i know which driver i need? and then how do i install it? if there is a tutorial out there on this subject, please direct me to it. thanks!

edit: btw, on boot-up, my wifi dongle is recognized as a Realtek RTL 8187 device.

toxibunny

Re: yet another noob wireless issue

Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:18 am

I think if it's recognised and you can see it in wifi-config, that means the drivers are fine. I got mine working with the instructions here: http://www.megaleecher.net/Raspberry_Pi ... tion_Guide

It wasn't *too* much hassle, but that wpa_gui thing isn't the most intuitive piece of software ever...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

hanna

Re: yet another noob wireless issue

Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:09 pm

i tried that wpa_gui...initially, i could scan for it, see it, but not connect. then i got strung out on another tangent where i installed the Wicd manager, which also sees my network, attempts to connect, and gets a "Connection Failed: Unable to Get IP Address" message (and now the wpa_gui no longer sees my network - is it one or the other?).

Return to “Beginners”