klpeters305

Accessing School Wifi [solved]

Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:17 pm

Hi! I'm still learning so apologies if this is a dumb question, but I can't figure it out!

I'm an educator using the Pi with students in a public school. On a Mac or PC, when you access the school wifi and then open a browser window you are directed to a page where you have to accept the user agreement before you can get on the internet. On the Pi, I can't figure out how to get to this page. When I put in the wifi password on the Pi it says I have a connection, but then I can't get to any websites. The user agreement pops up automatically on Mac and PC, but doesn't come up on Pi, and I don't know how to make it appear manually.

Does anyone have any ideas for solutions to this? You help is much appreciated!
Last edited by klpeters305 on Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drgeoff

Re: Accessing School Wifi

Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:57 pm

Have you tried opening a browser and typing a URL in the address box?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

DougieLawson

Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:24 pm

klpeters305 wrote:
Hi! I'm still learning so apologies if this is a dumb question, but I can't figure it out!

I'm an educator using the Pi with students in a public school. On a Mac or PC, when you access the school wifi and then open a browser window you are directed to a page where you have to accept the user agreement before you can get on the internet. On the Pi, I can't figure out how to get to this page. When I put in the wifi password on the Pi it says I have a connection, but then I can't get to any websites. The user agreement pops up automatically on Mac and PC, but doesn't come up on Pi, and I don't know how to make it appear manually.

Windows and my Android phone attempt to connect to http://clients3.google.com/generate_204 or http://connectivitycheck.gstatic.com/generate_204 to see if they have connectivity to the public internet. A captive portal should use that address to trigger the user agreement stuff.
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:56 am

klpeters305 wrote:

I had that problem with (supposedly) publicly available WiFi in a hotel. I complained. The next time I was there, it worked. I suspect your problem is not the Pi. It is probably that the people that set up the network never anticipated anyone using Linux. Complain to the school network admins. It's their *job* to get their configuration right.

klpeters305

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:48 pm

Thank you so much everyone for the responses, and I'm sorry it took me a while to respond. I can't test your ideas out until I'm back in that building on Thursday. I will let you know what works.
drgeoff wrote: Have you tried opening a browser and typing a URL in the address box?
I'd have to check, but I believe the URL for the portal involved some really long string of letters and numbers. Maybe I could pull it up on a Windows laptop and copy it over to the Pi browser by hand.
DougieLawson wrote: Windows and my Android phone attempt to connect to http://clients3.google.com/generate_204 or http://connectivitycheck.gstatic.com/generate_204 to see if they have connectivity to the public internet. A captive portal should use that address to trigger the user agreement stuff.
I will try that, thank you!
W. H. Heydt wrote: I had that problem with (supposedly) publicly available WiFi in a hotel. I complained. The next time I was there, it worked. I suspect your problem is not the Pi. It is probably that the people that set up the network never anticipated anyone using Linux. Complain to the school network admins. It's their *job* to get their configuration right.
True. They haven't been super helpful with our work on the Pi so far, unfortunately; I think similar to your hotel situation, this is out of their usual lane. I'll keep working on them, though!

ejolson

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:25 pm

klpeters305 wrote:
Thank you so much everyone for the responses, and I'm sorry it took me a while to respond. I can't test your ideas out until I'm back in that building on Thursday. I will let you know what works.
drgeoff wrote: Have you tried opening a browser and typing a URL in the address box?
I'd have to check, but I believe the URL for the portal involved some really long string of letters and numbers. Maybe I could pull it up on a Windows laptop and copy it over to the Pi browser by hand.
DougieLawson wrote: Windows and my Android phone attempt to connect to http://clients3.google.com/generate_204 or http://connectivitycheck.gstatic.com/generate_204 to see if they have connectivity to the public internet. A captive portal should use that address to trigger the user agreement stuff.
I will try that, thank you!
W. H. Heydt wrote: I had that problem with (supposedly) publicly available WiFi in a hotel. I complained. The next time I was there, it worked. I suspect your problem is not the Pi. It is probably that the people that set up the network never anticipated anyone using Linux. Complain to the school network admins. It's their *job* to get their configuration right.
True. They haven't been super helpful with our work on the Pi so far, unfortunately; I think similar to your hotel situation, this is out of their usual lane. I'll keep working on them, though!
While theoretically IT support in schools is intended to support instruction, that is not often the way the administrative structure is setup. Generally IT support reports to some administrative body not directly accountable to the teaching staff. Thus, when a teacher says I'm having trouble the reply, after acting astonished that there even is an operating system called Linux, is to state "we only support Windows." It is, in fact, lucky if a new rule is not subsequently made that Linux is strictly prohibited.

Due to standardisation and the fact that Android is also Linux, connecting to a wireless network seems easier than in the past. My experience is that trying to open almost any non-https page will result in a redirect to the registration screen. In particular, either of the two http pages above would work.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:34 pm

klpeters305 wrote:
In your situation, it is doubly their job. One the one hand, their job is to support the educational goals of the schools and that's what you are trying to get them to do. On the other hand, doing the network job *right* includes being OS agnostic, and they aren't doing that. If the network admins aren't doing the job, talk with whoever they report to. (This probably won't win you any friends, but it is questionable that you have any in this matter so far, so relatively small loss.)

I would *not* suggest that you get your students interested in hacking their way in to make it work.

FYI...a potential alternative *may* be to set up a router with its WAN side connected to the school LAN, establish a connection from a PC or Mac. Then the LAN side of the router should permit the Pis to connect with no further intervention. Be sure to use a disjoint subdomain on the LAN side of the router. ("Double NATting" can cause...interesting...problems if you don't.)

routerromulan

Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:56 pm

In order to access the school Wi-Fi you need to know the Ip address of your school Wi-fi in the first hand. The IP address like 192.168.1.254 may be the access point of the router. So in order to access your school Wi-Fi you need to find the correct the router Ip first. Then proceed.

JohnsUPS

Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:28 am

routerromulan wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:56 pm
In order to access the school Wi-Fi you need to know the Ip address of your school Wi-fi in the first hand. The IP address like ] may be the access point of the router. So in order to access your school Wi-Fi you need to find the correct the router Ip first. Then proceed.
The above isn't correct. You do not need to know the IP address of the network.

The Pi will send out a broadcast, and the network will return, via DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), the IP addressing necessary to access that network. DHCP will automatically set the IP address on the Pi (unless one has previously been set statically first) along with the default gateway, subnet mask and DNS. Once that is done, then your device is on the network and some type of further authentication will probably take place (unless it is an open network), such as the entering of passwords or authentication keys.

Check to see if the Pi is receiving valid DNS server IP addressing. You could statically assign Googles DNS servers of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

The school network may have multiple SSID's that can be connected to. The wireless network that I work on (4500+ access points over 110 buildings) has five. Ask your IT people what would be the correct/most appropriate SSID to connect to. In my case, each SSID has different authentication characteristics depending on the type of client that it is intended to service. There are Pis that connect to our network, and we register the wireless MAC addresses in Active Directory so that they authenticate automatically - without the need for a web page dialog. The school's content filter may also be blocking you.

Xaccers

Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:05 am

As John says, check with your IT guys to see what WiFi networks are available for you.
I run the network of a secondary school and we use the same wireless network as our old iPads, which requires a WPA2 key and applies the default pupil level of proxy filtering so the little darlings can't access anything dodgy.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:55 am

Removed spam links from recent posts.
Banned the spammer routerromulan.

klpeters305

Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:47 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:24 pm

Windows and my Android phone attempt to connect to http://clients3.google.com/generate_204 or http://connectivitycheck.gstatic.com/generate_204 to see if they have connectivity to the public internet. A captive portal should use that address to trigger the user agreement stuff.
These links worked! Thank you DougieLawson! And thank you everyone else, too! It's good the answer was fairly simply because a lot of the networking stuff you guys are saying is going over my head, haha. But I also learned to not let the IT staff off the hook so that is additional useful information. ;) I'm going to study more and try to get to a point where I understand the rest of the suggestions given here.

Return to “Beginners”