kwhulch

Looking for a little assistance.

Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:40 am

I know this has probably been asked before, but I'm honestly not finding the answer anywhere. I'll start out by saying I have limited experience with Linux (stuck with windows so long because of my love of gaming) and I have recently purchased the Raspberry Pi 4B 4GB. I have a SIM7600A-H cellular hat that I am connecting via GPIO and using a UPS to provide power to the system. The setup is the basis for a few different projects I've had mulling around my head for a while, but the problem is I can't seem to get the cellular module to configure properly. I can see it listed with

Code: Select all

ls /dev/tty* 
followed the limited documentation available and using the few demo files from the manufacturer I can't seem to get it working at all. I run minicom and when attempting to give any AT commands I get no "OK" or any acknowledgement from the system indicating that it is working, even initializing the modem the status remains offline. I've attempted using USB to UART and running through ttyUSB1, running through ttyS0, as well as disabling bluetooth and running through ttyAMA0 and nothing seems to work. I know the hat is good because I am able to hook it up to my windows PC and query the carrier using usb connection, as well as pull GPS data. If anyone has any experience with this I'd appreciate any assistance. The hat is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078Y ... UTF8&psc=1

epoch1970

Re: Looking for a little assistance.

Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:39 pm

"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

kwhulch

Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:51 pm

I've been over that post a few times, as well as every other one on the site that I've been able to find (going back all the way to 2012). I've been trying for the past 3 weeks to get this working to no avail, so I thought I would ask and see if anyone was able to help me figure it out.

scruss

Re: Looking for a little assistance (SIM7100A 4G Development Board)

Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:24 pm

The seller's description might include a hint:
If you want to make it work over UART, please use one FT232 USB to Serial Adapter Module, not the uart port on this board
From the documentation link, the board has fairly hefty power requirements: powering this from a Raspberry Pi alone might not be an option.

The last time I used a 4G board with a Raspberry Pi I found that there were some that just wouldn't work with anything but Windows. The Windows driver issued a specific reset that caused the USB device (initially mass storage, containing a disk image of (very old) drivers) to re-connect and become a serial port. This option wasn't available under Linux at the time, and I don't know if it's been remedied.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

kwhulch

Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:59 pm

That would be my bad, that was another board I was looking at, the one I'm using is this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PL ... UTF8&psc=1

fruitoftheloom

Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:01 pm

kwhulch wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:59 pm
That would be my bad, that was another board I was looking at, the one I'm using is this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PL ... UTF8&psc=1

Waveshare provide comprehensive support for their products:

https://www.waveshare.com/
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines: ChromeBox
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32966393971.html
& Stone Desktop Intel CoreDuo circa 2010

kwhulch

Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:25 pm

I've already emailed them, still waiting for a response. I also have another question, since the Raspberry Pi 4 has 5 UART connections, is there a way to set which connection a hat connects through when it's seated on the GPIO? For example if I have multiple HATS connected using a GPIO expansion board (I.E. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WW ... UTF8&psc=1) is it possible to configure one to connect to say UART 5 through a configuration script (after enabling UART 5 of course) or would I have to use the jumper wires if I wanted to manually configure them?

rpdom

Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:43 pm

You can't have multiple HATs on the GPIO connector even with an expansion board like that. The only real HAT that can share with another HAT is the PoE one.

Boards that aren't HATs may be configurable, but as most of them were designed for earlier Pi versions than the 4B they are unlikely to support using the new UARTs - yet.
Unreadable squiggle

kwhulch

Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:29 pm

rpdom wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:43 pm
You can't have multiple HATs on the GPIO connector even with an expansion board like that. The only real HAT that can share with another HAT is the PoE one.

Boards that aren't HATs may be configurable, but as most of them were designed for earlier Pi versions than the 4B they are unlikely to support using the new UARTs - yet.
If that's the case then why is it that there are stacking hats and top hats? (Those with and without GPIO connectors on top such as the cellular hat I linked.) If only power pins were made available for devices such as active cooling fans, that I could see, but using all the extra material (no matter how cheap) to extend all 40 pins and make them available would be cost ineffective in the long run, in addition to the fact that there is documentation stating that hats can stack while connected to I2C (which uses UART 2) so long as each device is recognized and labeled accordingly. I was simply asking if there was a way to manually configure them through GPIO configuration files (I.E. using enable_uart=1 and dtoverlay=pi3-miniuart-bt to make bluetooth use miniuart) to ensure that they connect to a specific UART port instead of having it automatically assigned or having to use jumper wires to the individual UART pins in order to hardwire manual configuration.

rpdom

Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:00 pm

kwhulch wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:29 pm
If that's the case then why is it that there are stacking hats and top hats?
There aren't. They are not HATs. They do not meet the HAT specifications. They may be boards that can be connected to a Pi, but they should not be called HATs.
Unreadable squiggle

hippy

Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:36 pm

As far as I can tell the "SIM 7600X 4G HAT" is not a "HAT" as per RPF specification, is just an add-on board with pass-through. From a quick look at the schematic the only connections it has to the Pi are 5V, 0V, TX (GPIO14) and RX (GPIO14), Flight Mode (GPIO4), and Key (GPIO6) -

https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/SIM7600E-H_4G_HAT

So, it seems to me; plug it in, set the serial header jumpers, turn the Pi on, access it through the standard /dev/serial0 interface to GPIO14/15, having set GPIO4 and 6 as required to wake the board up etc.

If you wanted to route the serial to another Pi UART it would seem that all you would need to do is remove the serial header jumper links, link the correct header pins to the desired GPIO pins on the Waveshare board. Get it working with the standard connections first.

The pass through connector is so other HAT's or add-ons can be used, providing those do not use the GPIO pins used by the Waveshare board.

montegue85

Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:20 pm

I have the reverse. Almost the same setup, only I am using a Pi3B. I have the 4G part working great but can not get GPS for the life of me.
kwhulch wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:40 am
I know this has probably been asked before, but I'm honestly not finding the answer anywhere. I'll start out by saying I have limited experience with Linux (stuck with windows so long because of my love of gaming) and I have recently purchased the Raspberry Pi 4B 4GB. I have a SIM7600A-H cellular hat that I am connecting via GPIO and using a UPS to provide power to the system. The setup is the basis for a few different projects I've had mulling around my head for a while, but the problem is I can't seem to get the cellular module to configure properly. I can see it listed with

Code: Select all

ls /dev/tty* 
followed the limited documentation available and using the few demo files from the manufacturer I can't seem to get it working at all. I run minicom and when attempting to give any AT commands I get no "OK" or any acknowledgement from the system indicating that it is working, even initializing the modem the status remains offline. I've attempted using USB to UART and running through ttyUSB1, running through ttyS0, as well as disabling bluetooth and running through ttyAMA0 and nothing seems to work. I know the hat is good because I am able to hook it up to my windows PC and query the carrier using usb connection, as well as pull GPS data. If anyone has any experience with this I'd appreciate any assistance. The hat is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078Y ... UTF8&psc=1

Return to “Beginners”