Sirpzy

[HELP] Raspberry Pi 4 b 1gb not displaying (or booting?)

Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:31 am

So I bought a pi 4 from microcenter back in August, I got only the board because it was on clearance, just recently I decided to work on it, so I bought a starter kit with a microSD card and usb drive for it, a small plastic case, fan, and power switch with fan controller (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZC ... UTF8&psc=1)

So I built the case, got everything connected, I installed Raspbian on the SD card and created an 'ssh' folder inside the boot partition. I plugged the USB drive with SD card into the Pi and I get no display. The Pi turns on, (constant red LED indicator and blinking green LED), and I get no display. I try to ssh in and connect the pi up to ethernet but it doesn't come up in my connected devices to my router. If I type 'ping raspberripi.local' in my cmd all I get is network timeouts

I have next to zero experience with anything Linux and I need help with this, I don't know if theres something wrong with the boot or if there is something broken.

Thanks for any possible solutions

Frobbit2201

Re: [HELP] Raspberry Pi 4 b 1gb not displaying (or booting?)

Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:15 am

Hi,
I have the same issue with my Pi4 (4gb).
I tried several things

1. Tried the same SD Card on different Pi (pi zeroE, Pi3b) => everything is ok with display...
2. Other SD Cards (8gb, 16gb, 65gb) on Pi4 => Same Problem with display
3. After inserting the SD Card in my windows PC it said that there is any issue and the Card has to be checked. I ran the Win 10 disk check... and after that my Pi 4 is working without problems.
4. After ONE reboot the problem is there again... no display no splash screen no VNC
5. Inserted the “corrupt SD card” in my Pi3 => everything is fine and works correctly...

It seems that the PI will corrupt some files or the SD Card after reboot or power loss... but I don’t understand, that the older Pi’s have no problem with that and work all fine!

It drives my mad because I don’t know how to fix that.

Has anyone an idea what’s going on there?

Greetz Frobbit

Frobbit2201

Re: [HELP] Raspberry Pi 4 b 1gb not displaying (or booting?)

Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:25 am

Hi,

After searching and searching I found a solution that worked for me here:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8&t=258200

In this article “klricks” wrote:

On the RPi4 by default if no HDMI is connected at boot then no framebuffer is created so NOTHING that requires GUI will run.
HDMI can be forced on at boot by setting a resolution using sudo raspi-config or the GUI config tool. Choose any resolution you want but DO NOT choose the monitor default setting.

Other older RPi did not have this issue because they will revert to composite if no HDMI is connected. The RPi4 has composite disabled by default because of performance issues.

RealVNC in virtual mode does not require the GUI to be running so it will work regardless.

That worked perfectly for me....never thought that way.

Return to “Beginners”