I am trying to get started with Raspberry Pi for a project that I'm working on. Here is what I have tried so far:
1. Download and unzip NOOBS.
2. Buy a 32GB micro SD card and an SD to micro-SD adapter.
3. Download and install SD Card Formatter.
4. Plug the micro SD card in its adapter into the card slot on my desktop Windows 8.1 PC.
5. Use SD Card Formatter to quick-format it.
6. Copy all the contents of the NOOBS ZIP to the SD card.
7. Once the copy has finished, eject the disk.
8. Move the card to the Raspberry Pi.
9. Connect my monitor to the Pi via an HDMI cable.
10. Connect my keyboard to the Pi via USB.
11. Move the USB wireless adapter for my Logitech wireless mouse to the Pi.
12. Connect the PWR socket on the Pi to a USB power supply.
Having done this, as I understand it, the Pi is supposed to boot up, and show something on the screen. It does not. The screen stays completely blank. No LEDs come on on the Pi, and it shows no signs of life whatsoever.
I have tried this with a Raspberry Pi Zero W, and with an older Pi that looks like this:
Note that his shows (c) 2011.12, which is probably an indication of when this card dates from.
Of course, with the Pi Zero W, I had to add a powered USB hub to connect the keyboard and mouse. With the old PI, I believe that the PWR LED did come on (red).
Can anyone see what I am doing wrong? How do I get these things to start working? Is it maybe the wireless mouse, that maybe needs a driver that isn't there? Or do I need to slow-format the card (which takes many hours)? Or what?
Many thanks - Rowan