ibhlool7

Raspberry Pi Zero WH Adapter

Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:52 am

Hi everybody
I've just bought a Raspberry Pi Zero WH, and I have a question about its power supply.
Which of these phones are more appropriate for the following usage:
1. Using a USB Hub for keyboard and mouse
2.Using 1080p HDMI output
3. DHT11Tempreture sensor
https://pasteboard.co/IIBHZUg.jpg
or
https://pasteboard.co/IIBIoCY.jpg

thanks

B.Goode

Re: Raspberry Pi Zero WH Adapter

Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:29 am

Welcome to the Raspberry Pi forums.

ibhlool7 wrote:
Hi everybody
I've just bought a Raspberry Pi Zero WH, and I have a question about its power supply.
or

thanks

I would not want to describe any device sold as a mobile phone charger as appropriate for powering any model of Raspberry Pi board.

The Raspberry Pi Zero WH itself has quite low power requirements, and the 550ma version might be adequate if it performs reliably in accordance with its marking..

You haven't given power requirements for the additional connections that need to be powered from the board.

The 2amp version would be more likely to cope if it performs reliably in accordance with its marking..

Summary: too little detail to be able to provide a definite answer. A better solution would be to buy an approved Raspberry Pi power supply, not a charger for some other device. https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... er-supply/

HawaiianPi

Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:31 am

The first one from XIAOMI with 2A output.

Assuming it actually delivers 5V at up to 2A. Phone charging does not require precise voltage control, because most phones only need a little over 4.2V to charge, so it's not uncommon for phone chargers to deliver less than 5V under load (even relatively light loads).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

davidcoton

Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:34 am

Power requirements are listed in the RPi FAQs.
Clearly Adapter 2 is unsuitable.
Adapter 1 might work, or might bring you a world of pain.
As always, the recommended PSU is the official Raspberry Pi 5V1 2A5 unit.
Signature retired

ibhlool7

Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:25 am

davidcoton wrote:
What is that pain?
Unfortunately, I don't have access to this official PSU and I must use these or even using a laptop USB port!
what is your idea about a laptop USB port?

ibhlool7

Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:31 am

B.Goode wrote:

ibhlool7 wrote:
Hi everybody
or

thanks

I would not want to describe any device sold as a mobile phone charger as appropriate for powering any model of Raspberry Pi board.

The Raspberry Pi Zero WH itself has quite low power requirements, and the 550ma version might be adequate if it performs reliably in accordance with its marking..

You haven't given power requirements for the additional connections that need to be powered from the board.

The 2amp version would be more likely to cope if it performs reliably in accordance with its marking..

Summary: too little detail to be able to provide a definite answer. A better solution would be to buy an approved Raspberry Pi power supply, not a charger for some other device. https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... er-supply/
Do you mean, if I want to use only Raspberry Pi (SSH for example without any other device in connecting) I must use the 0.5A adapter?

ibhlool7

Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:36 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:31 am
The first one from XIAOMI with 2A output.

Assuming it actually delivers 5V at up to 2A. Phone charging does not require precise voltage control, because most phones only need a little over 4.2V to charge, so it's not uncommon for phone chargers to deliver less than 5V under load (even relatively light loads).
Excuse me, I'm a programmer and I don't really understand Electrical concept :oops:
So, if I choose the first adapter (2A) and my Raspberry doesn't have external devices in connection, will it hurt it?
Or use how many it wants?
thank you man

B.Goode

Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:39 am

ibhlool7 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:25 am
davidcoton wrote:
What is that pain?
Unfortunately, I don't have access to this official PSU and I must use these or even using a laptop USB port!
what is your idea about a laptop USB port?

The 'pain' is that it might not work at all, or may appear to work and then turn out to be unreliable and cause you confusion and frustration.

A laptop usb port will have a slightly lower output than the weaker of your two alternatives, so should be regarded as equally inadvisable.

B.Goode

Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:42 am

ibhlool7 wrote:
I choose the first adapter (2A) and my Raspberry doesn't have external devices in connection, will it hurt it?

The second of those choices.

(But damage to the files stored on the microSD card might still occur if the charger is unreliable when used in this way.)

ibhlool7

Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:48 am

B.Goode wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:42 am
ibhlool7 wrote:
I choose the first adapter (2A) and my Raspberry doesn't have external devices in connection, will it hurt it?

The second of those choices.

(But damage to the files stored on the microSD card might still occur if the charger is unreliable when used in this way.)
If it damages my SD-card files, it doesn't matter, I hope it doesn't damage my Raspberry :!:
thank you

LTolledo

Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:50 am

Normally I'd use a 5v 3.0A PSU for all my RPis (and that includes the RPiZero series)

at times I use this in case all my available 3.0A PSUs are being used.
AndriodPowerAdapterClone.jpg
AndriodPowerAdapterClone.jpg (54.77 KiB) Viewed 639 times
however, its always used exclusively for this setup only.
RPiZWpHATDACsetup.jpg
RPiZWpHATDACsetup.jpg (62.72 KiB) Viewed 639 times

at one time it powered the whole setup for 1 whole week (24hrs/7days)
running volumio as internet radio source... connected to a mini-HiFi deck.
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

ibhlool7

Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:51 am

LTolledo wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:50 am
Normally I'd use a 5v 3.0A PSU for all my RPis (and that includes the RPiZero series)

at times I use this in case all my available 3.0A PSUs are being used.
AndriodPowerAdapterClone.jpg

however, its always used exclusively for this setup only.
RPiZWpHATDACsetup.jpg

at one time it powered the whole setup for 1 whole week (24hrs/7days)
running volumio as internet radio source... connected to a mini-HiFi deck.
And which one is your suggestion?

LTolledo

Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:54 am

I cannot answer that question for I dont have similar items in my inventory.

I can only answer for those that I have, and have tested properly and extensively....

Still I'd go with the others here.... get the proper PSU (not charger) for your RPiZW.

or you may go gun-ho and bravely go where no one has gone before....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

pcmanbob

Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:20 pm

If I had to choose between the 2 chargers , I would use the 2A one , you have a better chance of it working but there are no guarantees.

As long as the voltage stays at 5v the pi will only draw the current it requires,

the DHT11 Temperature sensor will only add a few mA to the current draw so is unlikely to cause a problem, the USB hub keyboard and mouse might cause a problem if the charger does not supply 2A at 5v but rather 2A at some thing less than 5v.

if your keyboard and mouse are of the basic variety with no LED illumination then you stand a better chance of your setup working.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

B.Goode

Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:36 pm

ibhlool7 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:31 am
B.Goode wrote:

ibhlool7 wrote:
Hi everybody
or

thanks

Do you mean, if I want to use only Raspberry Pi (SSH for example without any other device in connecting) I must use the 0.5A adapter?

I missed this earlier in the noise...

Having said quite clearly "I would not want to describe any device sold as a mobile phone charger as appropriate for powering any model of Raspberry Pi board", I don't see how that can be interpreted as indicating that you 'must' do anything of the sort!

HawaiianPi

Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:26 am

Lots of drama in replies to this post. While it's true that some phone chargers won't maintain a stable 5V under load, the Pi Zero is a low power device that only consumes a few hundred milliamps when running hard.

While I agree with the sentiment of not recommending a phone charger for a Pi power supply (as indicated in my previous reply), the odds are very good that it will work fine. I'd still go with the 2A charger, since it will be lightly loaded and more likely to maintain 5V (or thereabouts).

I've had a variety of chargers over the years, and I have a constant current load tester to check them with. One "5V/2.4A" charger I had dropped well below 5V at only a 1A load. It charged my phone fine, but it was a lousy Pi PSU. On the other hand, I have a couple of chargers from RAV-power that work great as Pi power supplies, even for my SSD booted 3B+ at full load, while simultaneously quick-charging my phone.

The point is, some chargers work, others do not, and the only way to know for sure is to properly load test them, and most users don't have the know-how or equipment to do that. The charger might seem to work fine at first, with the PI not running any heavy tasks and nothing power hungry connected. Then down the road you try something different and your Pi starts to mysteriously crash or boot-loop.

When the Pi 3B and especially the 3B+ came out we had a lot of trouble posts from people who absolutely insisted their charger "PSU" was fine, because they had been using it for months. After much troubleshooting the charger/PSU would end up being the problem after all. So the helpful folks who have been around here for awhile are resistant to recommend using phone chargers as Pi power supplies.

However, in this case I suspect it will work okay. That's still not a recommendation, but if you already have the charger, go ahead and give it a try. The only way it would damage the Pi0 is if it's outputting significantly more than 5.25V, which would be considered defective for a 5V charger.

To improve your odds, use a good quality micro USB cable, preferably one rated for fast charging phones. And shorter cables are better than longer ones (less resistance and voltage loss).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

hippy

Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:41 am

davidcoton wrote:
For a Zero W it might be just fine. I run my Zero W from a similar 500mA charger with no problems, no under-voltage.

There seems to be an automatic presumption from some quarters on this forum that anything which can be termed a "charger" won't work when that is not necessarily so. A Pi Zero W typically draws only a few hundred mA under stress and many "chargers" will support that and maintain higher than under-voltage.

davidcoton

Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:02 pm

hippy wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:41 am
davidcoton wrote:
For a Zero W it might be just fine. I run my Zero W from a similar 500mA charger with no problems, no under-voltage.

There seems to be an automatic presumption from some quarters on this forum that anything which can be termed a "charger" won't work when that is not necessarily so. A Pi Zero W typically draws only a few hundred mA under stress and many "chargers" will support that and maintain higher than under-voltage.
Yes, I think I was being unduly pessimistic.
It might work.
It might not.
It might work sometimes.
It might start out working, and suddenly stop.

The only way to find out is to try it. But remember that odd "stopped working" problems might be due to the power supply. If in doubt, try another.
Signature retired

dustnbone

Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:18 pm

While I'm not suggesting anyone do it, especially if they value their SD card and it's contents, I've fed the ZeroWH some pretty craptastic power in the past and it's performed just fine.

As posted above some USB "chargers" do output lower voltages under load, as do many USB battery packs.

The Zero seems to be fine down as low as 4V in my experience, but I'd imagine getting much below that could cause problems because SD cards run at 3.3V and insufficient voltage there will almost certainly make it crap out, die and not get back up.

Return to “Beginners”