deepakdeshp

Cant start Sonic Pi

Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:54 am

Hello, I am running Raspbian and am not able to start the sonic pi. I only get the attached screen , and nothing else happens.

Please suggest.
Attachments
sonic.png
sonic.png (67.96 KiB) Viewed 514 times

DougieLawson

Re: Cant start Sonic Pi

Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:36 am

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

deepakdeshp

Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:48 pm

Sonic-pi is great . Pity Pi foundation doesnt support it.

buja

Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:06 pm

The screenshot shows Sonic Pi version 2.10, it looks like you are trying to run some old stuff.

Raspbian Buster has version 3.1.0 in the repository and installed by default.
And it runs, as I am typing this Monday Blues is playing (it's one of the examples).

deepakdeshp

Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:33 pm

buja wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:06 pm

And it runs, as I am typing this Monday Blues is playing (it's one of the examples).
Does the note play on Pi speakers? They must be tiny. Is the sound audible? My Pi doesn't have a BlueTooth hence I can't pair to an external speaker.

buja

Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:40 pm

Yes, I could hear the music playing through a set of PC speakers, connected to the Pi with a jack plug.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:30 am

deepakdeshp wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:48 pm
Sonic-pi is great . Pity Pi foundation doesnt support it.
We supported it for years, and spent a HUGE amount of money on it. Unfortunately, the direction it was moving in was not aligned with Foundation goals, so there was no point in continuing to spend that money.

It's an open source project though, so anyone can help out with it if they want. We do not have the resources to do everything, and won't be spending any more money. The developer could, if they wanted, continue to do the support, but they seem to not want to do that.

More information here https://github.com/RPi-Distro/repo/issues/139
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

B.Goode

Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:55 am

deepakdeshp wrote:
Hello, I am running Raspbian and am not able to start the sonic pi. I only get the attached screen , and nothing else happens.

Please suggest.

This third-party blog post from another user of SonicPi on Raspberry Pi hardware might provide a way to build a working version for yourself.

https://rbnrpi.wordpress.com/2019/10/31 ... -controls/

deepakdeshp

Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:49 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:55 am
deepakdeshp wrote:

Please suggest.

This third-party blog post from another user of SonicPi on Raspberry Pi hardware might provide a way to build a working version for yourself.

https://rbnrpi.wordpress.com/2019/10/31 ... -controls/
Thanks for the link.It will be useful once I am able to set up basic setup for Sonic-pi. I am still working on it.

someSven

Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:38 pm

It has been upgraded recently, because a lot of people had issues:
https://github.com/samaaron/sonic-pi/co ... f119ddb761

I'm looking forward to see the new version in the Raspian upgrade archive. Till then it's broken.

Botspot

Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:05 pm

I've decided to get to the bottom of this.
  • Flashed 32GB SanDisk card with latest Raspbian Buster NOT FULL.
  • Booted it on a Pi 4.
  • Set locale, sudo apt update & upgrade. No reboot.
  • sudo apt install -y sonic-pi
Sonic Pi worked! :D Now to see if it now works on my main SD card...
Introducing Pi-Power-Tools: The All-In-1 GUI Tool for Raspbian Images & SD Cards.
Boot in a VM, Flash directly from the Internet, Mount, Edit, Shrink, Expand, Repair, and much more.
https://github.com/Botspot/Pi-Power-Tools
PS. Want to download an Img ASAP? PPT's Download mode is 2x as fast as Chromium. :mrgreen:

Botspot

Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:13 pm

Botspot wrote: Now to see if it now works on my main SD card...
It does! I took note of all the packages the fresh Raspbian installed, so instead of typing sudo apt install sonic-pi, I ran this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install fonts-lato jackd jackd2 libaubio5 libboost-atomic1.67.0 libboost-filesystem1.67.0 libboost-system1.67.0 libboost-thread1.67.0 libgit2-27 libhttp-parser2.8 libmbedcrypto3 libmbedtls12 libmbedx509-0 libqscintilla2-qt5-13 libqscintilla2-qt5-l10n libqt5opengl5 libqwt-qt5-6 librtaudio6 librtmidi4 libruby2.5 libscsynth1 libstk-4.5.0 qjackctl rake ruby ruby-activesupport ruby-afm ruby-ascii85 ruby-atomic ruby-coderay ruby-concurrent ruby-did-you-mean ruby-ffi ruby-hamster ruby-hashery ruby-i18n ruby-kramdown ruby-memoist ruby-minitest ruby-multi-json ruby-net-telnet ruby-oj ruby-pdf-core ruby-pdf-reader ruby-power-assert ruby-prawn ruby-prawn-table ruby-rc4 ruby-rouge ruby-rugged ruby-stringex ruby-test-unit ruby-thread-safe ruby-ttfunk ruby-tzinfo ruby-wavefile ruby-xmlrpc ruby2.5 rubygems-integration sc3-plugins-server sonic-pi sonic-pi-samples sonic-pi-server supercollider-server zip
Not working for you? Try renaming the folder /home/pi/.sonic-pi to something like .sonic-pi.bak

It opens once, but won't open again? Try this:

Code: Select all

killall ruby sonic-pi jackd m2o o2m beam.smp scsynth ruby
Introducing Pi-Power-Tools: The All-In-1 GUI Tool for Raspbian Images & SD Cards.
Boot in a VM, Flash directly from the Internet, Mount, Edit, Shrink, Expand, Repair, and much more.
https://github.com/Botspot/Pi-Power-Tools
PS. Want to download an Img ASAP? PPT's Download mode is 2x as fast as Chromium. :mrgreen:

Return to “Beginners”