sharklasers

USB Display for Raspbian Lite

Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:20 pm

I have a pi 3+ running Raspbian Jessie Lite that I would like to connect a USB 2.0 DisplayLink adapter. I have installed the appropriate driver and all but I believe the problem resides in the fact that Raspbian does not have a GUI and thusly X11. So, my question is; what drives the output to HDMI and can I forward that to the USB display

B.Goode

Re: USB Display for Raspbian Lite

Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:31 pm

sharklasers wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:20 pm
I have a pi 3+ running Raspbian Jessie Lite that I would like to connect a USB 2.0 DisplayLink adapter. I have installed the appropriate driver and all but I believe the problem resides in the fact that Raspbian does not have a GUI and thusly X11. So, my question is; what drives the output to HDMI and can I forward that to the USB display

As a Troubleshooting/Diagnostic experiment, get a new or spare microSD card and install a fresh download of the full Desktop version of the current Raspbian Buster Operating System. Try booting your RPi 3 from that.

At the moment you have several potential problems: an Operating System that was superceded more than 2 years ago; a version of that Operating System that does not have support for X-Windows; and a third-party display.

My suggested test will help rule out the first two of those as causes for failure.

If you search these forums for 'DisplayLink' you will find many previous posts discussing the possibility. I didn't find one that reported a satisfactory outcome.

dustnbone

Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:44 pm

If you're unable to get the USB adapter working, and you're not using the HDMI port, there are HDMI to DisplayPort adapters available. They're generally active converters (require a power source), but should present themselves as an HDMI display to the Pi.

I'm guessing the performance and system load will be substantially better than a USB 2.0 based solution.

B.Goode

Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:05 pm

dustnbone wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:44 pm
If you're unable to get the USB adapter working, and you're not using the HDMI port, there are HDMI to DisplayPort adapters available. They're generally active converters (require a power source), but should present themselves as an HDMI display to the Pi.

I'm guessing the performance and system load will be substantially better than a USB 2.0 based solution.
I think a previous post on this topic pointed out that DisplayLink and DisplayPort are not the same thing. I don't know whether that is the case, but it might be worth keeping in mind.

dustnbone

Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:50 pm

You are correct, they are unrelated.

After reading this

https://support.displaylink.com/knowled ... spberry-pi

it does indeed appear that best case it only provides an X screen and not a virtual tty, and has several other limitations.

sharklasers

Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:33 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. The OS is good and I followed the instructions found on the DisplayLink website. So, what I'm trying to get to is; Is there a way to forward that virtual TTY to the USB display?

sharklasers

Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:19 pm

Better stated- Is there a way for me to install only some parts of X11 without a desktop? What is driving that virtual TTY output? Just like X11 something is creating that environment, and just like X11 shouldn't we be able to forward that frame buffer to another output?

again, thanks guys.

Return to “Beginners”