Law

My RP2 shows the video extremely slow while my RP4 shows it perfectly

Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:35 am

HI guys,
so i have 2 PI's at the moment.
I have a video looper with omxplayer.
My RP4 shows the showreel perfectly, while my RP2 B is super slow. Instead of the intended 40+sec it goes on for like 1+min to show the video which means its shows it with lags.
Now before u ask why i am not just using my RP4 its because i am dumb and did not check if the RP4 fits into Smarti ( which it does not ), so i have no choice but to use the RP2. Is it possible to show the Video in its normal speed or am i wasting my time here since its an older RP?

Thank you for your help

RaTTuS

Re: My RP2 shows the video extremely slow while my RP4 shows it perfectly

Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:44 am

what is the video - codec , size info etc..
give as much info as you can
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

dustnbone

Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:30 pm

If you run omxplayer -i <filename> it will give you a readout of information on the file.

Particularly the section labelled "Stream #0:0" will tell us the specific codec, bit depth, frame rate, bitrate, resolution, etc.

Botspot

Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:56 pm

The Pi 2 is significantly less powerful compared to the Pi 4. For that reason you have to be more mindful of the resolution and codec of what you're trying to play. For example, if your codec is heavily compressed, the Pi 4 can handle it, but the Pi 2 may struggle to keep up. Try converting whatever codec you're using to avi or mp4, and if that doesn't work, try reducing the resolution. Both can be done using online tools.
Introducing Pi-Power-Tools: The All-In-1 GUI Tool for Raspbian Images & SD Cards.
Boot in a VM, Flash directly from the Internet, Mount, Edit, Shrink, Expand, Repair, and much more.
https://github.com/Botspot/Pi-Power-Tools
PS. Want to download an Img ASAP? PPT's Download mode is 2x as fast as Chromium. :mrgreen:

gkreidl

Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:31 pm

Botspot wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:56 pm
The Pi 2 is significantly less powerful compared to the Pi 4. For that reason you have to be more mindful of the resolution and codec of what you're trying to play. For example, if your codec is heavily compressed, the Pi 4 can handle it, but the Pi 2 may struggle to keep up. Try converting whatever codec you're using to avi or mp4, and if that doesn't work, try reducing the resolution. Both can be done using online tools.
Sorry, but this is all wrong.
omxplayer uses the HW decoders built into the SOC (if codecs are available, there are some restrictions on the RPi 4). These are the same on all RPis (except for H265 on RPi 4, but this one cannot be used by omxplayer).
MP4 and AVI are container formats, not codecs.

In fact, I can play many more video formats (codecs) on my RPi 2/3s than on RPi 4 using omxplayer. And they are never "slower".
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Return to “Beginners”