jb63

Smart Home Automation - What are the options?

Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:51 pm

I did a bit of googling but nothing too conclusive.

I have several home automation devices (Wyze Cameras, Nest Thermostats, Smart Plugs, ...) together with a Raspberry 7" screen+enclosure.
I'd like to build a central hub where, for example I have multiple 'buttons' on the home screen and messages/alerts.

The large buttons would list the Cameras, and upon pressing any of such buttons, I'd get a live view of the camera ... These are just ideas for now.

Yes, there are few apps on both iOS and Google, but none really integrates devices from multiple vendors. The devices I have now are from WyzeLabs (Cameras + door switches + PIR sensors + smart bulbs), Nest Thermostats, Multiple sensors from TP-Link (HS100+HS150).

Now, any instructions out there to build a home automation hub based on all the above ?

Thanks
Last edited by jb63 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neilgl

Re: Smart Home Automation - What are the options?

Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:14 pm

Yes install openhab2 on your pi, then go from there.

Paul Webster

Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:21 pm

Home-Assistant is another alternative to experiment with.

jb63

Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:38 pm

Thank you gentlemen. Can the two solutions exist concurrently on the same system (for evaluating pros/cons) or would I need to build two completely separate systems ?

PhatFil

Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:45 pm

look at tasmota, easypeasy. and other off the shelf alternative firmwares that you can simply flash to off the shelf commercial smart products to liberate them from remote data mining server systems.. replacing the closed commercial system with your own mqtt enabled system will let you communicate with all sorts of devices

https://github.com/arendst/Tasmota/wiki

neilgl

Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:52 pm

Yes that Tasmota firmware on esp8266 devices (Sonoff, Teckin etc.) works well with openhab2. So does Alexa.

jb63

Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:17 am

In all honesty, I tried OpenHab and it's far from an easy setup ... I was able to install it on my RPI 3B+ ... but past that, none of the tutorials I found match what I see on the screen ... My first impression, it seems very powerful, but I do not want to spend all my time tweaking and playing with this. It appears to be a good package for hacking, not sure very stable though. Thoughts?

PhatFil

Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:14 am

I took one look at openhab and had similar thoughts..

To control the 30 plus smart switches and devices that i run mostly using the fantastic Tasmota project. (lots of sonoff/itead devices, and a few wemos D1 diy devices )
I use Node Red and mosquitto mqtt broker both hosted on my ras-Pi-0-W.

Node Red with its data flow centric approach is easy to get started with when using devices that publish and respond to Mqtt publications (messages). It has its own learning curve but its not as steep or high as that for openhab imho.

Time spent looking at openhad would not be wasted however as its yaml scripting format is being adopted by other systems too (perhaps it originated elsewhere?? I am far from an authority on this subject just a keen amatuer )

Paul Webster

Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:12 am

jb63 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:38 pm
Thank you gentlemen. Can the two solutions exist concurrently on the same system (for evaluating pros/cons) or would I need to build two completely separate systems ?
I did have them both installed on the same Pi for a while ... but I did not start them both at the same time.

If you use their ability to emulate Philips Hue so that extra things can become available to Alexa then things can become confusing.

Home-Assistant does some auto discovery of some devices but for things that it cannot find you end up editing a text-based configuration file.

Return to “Beginners”