FucaBala

Second Gigabit for PI 4B

Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:04 pm

Hello folks,

I'm starting a mini-project to use a PI4B as a firewall and hence I would like to have a second Gigabit port.

I noticed some hats that provide ethernet but they are 10Mb, so out of question.

Having a look at amazon I found a lot of USB devices that provides gigabit ethernet but my main question is which one should be compatible with Raspberry Pi 4. I might be saying something stupid but with the USB 3 should be enough bandwidth for a gigabit connection using an adapter.

The question I have is: Can the USB Type C on raspberry 4 be used for data or it is just a power connection?

In case of type C can be used for data as well, is there any adapters similar to the one below, but with:
- Type C connection
- Able to provide 3A as required by the PI 4
- Supports gigabit ethernet
- Works with Raspberrian Buster
https://store.google.com/product/ethern ... chromecast

I know is a lot of requirements but I simply wanted to avoid using adapters on top of adapters, so wanted to check if anybody knows something that would work.

Thanks a lot in advance.

William Oliverio

drgeoff

Re: Second Gigabit for PI 4B

Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:20 pm

The USB C connector can be used for data but is USB 2.

jj_0

Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:23 pm

The USB C port on the Pi 4 is strictly a client port (device-only) at USB 2.0 speed. So you can't use it to connect a USB device, you can only use it to connect to a USB host and let the Pi act as e.g. serial device, ethernet device, mass storage device, MTP device or a combination of those.
See https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... erview_pi4

rpdom

Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:54 pm

jj_0 wrote:
The USB C port on the Pi 4 is strictly a client port (device-only) at USB 2.0 speed
No, it can run in Host or Device mode.
That says that it is intended to run in Client mode. Not that it can only run in that mode.

It is limited to USB2 speeds, so it wouldn't be able to use the full bandwidth of a gigabit network adaptor.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:55 pm

FucaBala wrote:
Hello folks,

I'm starting a mini-project to use a PI4B as a firewall and hence I would like to have a second Gigabit port.

I noticed some hats that provide ethernet but they are 10Mb, so out of question.

Having a look at amazon I found a lot of USB devices that provides gigabit ethernet but my main question is which one should be compatible with Raspberry Pi 4. I might be saying something stupid but with the USB 3 should be enough bandwidth for a gigabit connection using an adapter.

The question I have is: Can the USB Type C on raspberry 4 be used for data or it is just a power connection?

In case of type C can be used for data as well, is there any adapters similar to the one below, but with:
- Type C connection

I know is a lot of requirements but I simply wanted to avoid using adapters on top of adapters, so wanted to check if anybody knows something that would work.

Thanks a lot in advance.

William Oliverio

Just buy a USB 3 Gigabit Networking Adaptor with a RTL8153 Chipset, which is supported under Linux.

Lots of various makes available, such as:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kaemma-Externa ... B07XXB6MWF
Retired disgracefully.....

jj_0

Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:56 pm

rpdom wrote:
jj_0 wrote:
The USB C port on the Pi 4 is strictly a client port (device-only) at USB 2.0 speed
That says that it is intended to run in Client mode. Not that it can only run in that mode.

It is limited to USB2 speeds, so it wouldn't be able to use the full bandwidth of a gigabit network adaptor.
Thanks for pointing that out. I just tried it and it works as you say. It's a bit difficult to provide enough power to the Pi, at least with my 5V 4A powered USB3 hub connected to the Pi 4's USB C port with a UBS A to USB C converter. Unfortunately my only USB C hub doesn't want to power the Pi 4. Maybe due to the issue with the Pi 4's USB C port wiring.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:38 pm

jj_0 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:56 pm
rpdom wrote:
jj_0 wrote:

Thanks for pointing that out. I just tried it and it works as you say. It's a bit difficult to provide enough power to the Pi, at least with my 5V 4A powered USB3 hub connected to the Pi 4's USB C port with a UBS A to USB C converter. Unfortunately my only USB C hub doesn't want to power the Pi 4. Maybe due to the issue with the Pi 4's USB C port wiring.
The common work around would be to power the Pi4 through the 5v GPIO pins. The usual caveats apply.

FucaBala

Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:31 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:55 pm
FucaBala wrote:
Hello folks,

- Type C connection

Thanks a lot in advance.

William Oliverio

Just buy a USB 3 Gigabit Networking Adaptor with a RTL8153 Chipset, which is supported under Linux.

Lots of various makes available, such as:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kaemma-Externa ... B07XXB6MWF
Thanks a lot for information on the USB adapter.

I was looking to get one but was not sure which one would be recognized on Linux.

Now, lets goto shopping.

Thanks a lot.

Return to “Beginners”