SyncBerry

[Pi4] What are config.txt sections ?

Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:08 am

Hi
I want to add the heartbeat led to my headless Rpi and found this is done through /boot/config.txt
When I open it I find undocumented format beside in-file explained comments (#) and effective settings (property=value), namely what I'd call [section]s.
Please, where do I find documentation (the official doesn't speak of this, neither google (at least I didn't find) nor /usr/share/doc/raspi-config/changelog.gz), so I don't know where to drop my setting.

Code: Select all

cat /boot/config.txt |grep -A5 "\["
[pi4]
# Enable DRM VC4 V3D driver on top of the dispmanx display stack
dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
max_framebuffers=2

[all]
#dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
start_x=0
enable_uart=0
Thank you
Last edited by SyncBerry on Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

fruitoftheloom

Re: [Pi4] What are config.txt sections ?

Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:29 am

SyncBerry wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:08 am
Hi
I want to add the heartbeat led and found this is done through /boot/config.txt
When I open it I find undocumented format beside in-file explained comments (#) and effective settings (property=value), namely what I'd call [section]s
Please, where do I find documentation (the official doesn't speak of this, neither google (at least I didn't find) nor /usr/share/doc/raspi-config/changelog.gz), so I don't know where to drop my setting.

cat /boot/config.txt |grep -A5 "\["
[pi4]
# Enable DRM VC4 V3D driver on top of the dispmanx display stack
dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
max_framebuffers=2

[all]
#dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
start_x=0
enable_uart=0
Thank you

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

SyncBerry

Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:18 am

Hi FotL

Thank you to directing me to the official config.txt doc again. The point is I didn't dig as deep as following the next to last link to elinux.org's RPiconfig : this is a wonderful source of info and disambiguation for what we find in our forum (there I found many things about config.txt and even cmdline.txt, and following links to external sites that I could eth link to my Pi with APIPA or even serial :) ). Very nice

Although I found nothing about square brackets sections in config.txt which is my question here.

davidcoton

Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:38 am

SyncBerry wrote:
Hi FotL

Thank you to directing me to the official config.txt doc again...

Although I found nothing about square brackets sections in config.txt which is my question here.
There's a link form FotL's link:
Conditional Filters
Signature retired

fruitoftheloom

Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:43 am

SyncBerry wrote:
Hi FotL

Thank you to directing me to the official config.txt doc again. The point is I didn't dig as deep as following the next to last link to elinux.org's RPiconfig : this is a wonderful source of info and disambiguation for what we find in our forum (there I found many things about config.txt and even cmdline.txt, and following links to external sites that I could eth link to my Pi with APIPA or even serial :) ). Very nice

Nice to know you would rather moan about FREE advice, and let someone else do your research :?
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

dgordon42

Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:55 pm

There is some good information in the file

/boot/overlays/README
on your Pi.

Hope this helps,
Dave.

SyncBerry

[Solved] [Pi4] What are config.txt sections... about activity led as heartbeat?

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:47 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:43 am
Nice to know you would rather moan about FREE advice, and let someone else do your research :?
Please FotL, do accept I apologize most sincerely and humbly :oops: . Although, I didn't moan: instead, as my 2 post above show I searched intensively (and missed nearly the same way as when I first read on my own) following the link you sent back to me, and even before), even reading the 3~4 first links in the page, but their titles convinced me all this stuff was very-specific-hardware-peripherals and I skipped. As the "File format" has its own chapter on top of the page, I thought it was all I could find here. But even at elinux.org I didn't find.
Maybe you could accept this suggestion to add a single short sentence in this very chapter (e.g. "See below in Conditional filters) for advanced formating") to point to the Conditional filters page, as I very well understand that the whole content can't fit here in this short chapter (didactic effectiveness pov for the main config.txt web page design).
When I went back I just aimed to ask if you advised to post the same question in elinux.org mailing list or just google once more, but I found your sarcastic* comment and the great answer from davidcoton (2 posts above this one) that really suits to my question.
Sorry and also excuse my verbosity because I'm not native English speaker so I want to make sure (I hope, actually) to make me understood.
* "FREE advice" do you say? Do you mean free as in "free software" (i.e. ~opensource) or that I'd be charged to get this info? I wish you'll feel FREE to help at least the ones that proved they already spent some time to search on their own, and as I did, MISSED the detail. Maybe you MISSED this.
Right, all this misunderstanding is all my fault as I let me diverted by this nearly cosmetic feature from my very initial aim to post here for a more important issue with /boot in SD and /rootfs in USB3... another proof that searching on my own is a way full of traps for me ;-).
Whatever, thank you for your fast first answer best effort... and triggering me to learn another English word.

PS : to walk a bit further to my initial goal beyond the topic title ([Pi4]...), I'll drop dtparam=act_led_trigger=heartbeat in [pi4] section filter regards to the great answer above (davidcoton's one, many thanks to him) and github raspberrypi who doesn't discourage anything about this parameter (but just in case of future change or new Pi models, although there is nearly 0 chance this sdcard drops in another model). Also, thanks to dgordon42 who showed me I had same info embedded within the Pi as I hardly found on github.

bjtheone

Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:50 pm

It certainly is harder is English is not your native language. However, the expectation is that folks will try and help themselves. There are a recurring set of questions that come up again and again, and you will tend to get answers that point you in how to solve things yourself rather than solving your exact issue. The hope behind this is that you will learn how to solve the next question rather than being reliant on someone else. Somewhat akin to teaching someone how to fish, rather than just giving them a fish each day.

Note: This is not intended as an attack on you, but rather an explanation of the the style of answers that many provide. If you had know that "conditional filters" made sense in the context of what you were trying to do, the link provided would have solved your issue in short order.

The other point is that some questioners get rather annoyed at those people that are trying to help them. The vast majority of folks on the forums are fellow enthusiasts rather than PI Engineers. Its not their job to answer questions, and most have other careers, and certainly have other hobbies. The posts demanding instant assistance to a poorly worded question may not be particularly well received.

SyncBerry

Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:40 am

bjtheone wrote:
...If you had know that "conditional filters" made sense in the context of what you were trying to do, the link provided would have solved your issue in short order.
Good night bjtheone
I fully agree, the difficult is not to find, it is to search: with the right keywords you have the answer instantly. Here the wrong was sections instead of the good filter.
[EDIT] and seaching here with "sections config.txt" I get 79 hits, and even 82 with "filters config.txt".
bjtheone wrote:
..The posts demanding instant assistance to a poorly worded question may not be particularly well received.
Agree again, I hope my wording was not so poor and I can't see I showed I was in a hurry.
Once I got the track I workedaround the "it doesn't work :-(" on my own, not boring anyone.
As I was afraid to break the conf I'm building (OK, I backup with rsync sometimes), it took me one hour to figure why: there is something not clear in the doc about the syntax. All examples everywhere and many lines in the file are given as parameter=value, which I tried first, but this one requires be prefixed with dtparam=parameter=value.
This is the story of newbs of my make.
ATM I'm trying to resolve a real issue, but I don't anymore dare to ask.

Bye

davidcoton

Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:45 am

SyncBerry,

I can understand why you didn't find what you wanted in the documentation -- you wanted to know what the [...] heading meant, but a successful search depends on knowing the answer :o Catch 22.

Don't be put off from asking questions, but try to ask them well. Keep the language simple, provide complete hardware and software information as briefly as possible (names, versions, location of the download if not this site). Give the context of what you are doing, what you want to happen, and what goes wrong. List the places you have looked for information. I'm NOT saying you got this wrong, everything important is there in the OP (except perhaps "Raspbian" and the version), just repeating the standard advice for others reading this thread. :)

Some people will misunderstand your question, you need to try to understand why from their point of view, and then bridge the gap. I'm still not sure why @fotl thought you were moaning about the free advice -- but we do sometimes see some people who expect a whole project to be done for them :roll:

Lastly, it sometimes helps if you fill in your location (at least country) in your profile, as some answers will be different for different places.
Signature retired

DougieLawson

Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:50 am

davidcoton wrote:
SyncBerry,

I can understand why you didn't find what you wanted in the documentation -- you wanted to know what the [...] heading meant, but a successful search depends on knowing the answer :o Catch 22.
They're often called "stanzas".

I use the serial number stanzas to have a single unified /boot/config.txt for all of my Raspberries. That stuff has been there for quite a while.

[0xc2355259]
# ** Odyssey    : 00000000c2355259 **
# ** Raspberry Pi Model B Rev 2
dtparam=audio=on
dtoverlay=lirc-rpi,gpio_in_pin=23,gpio_in_pull=high
gpu_mem=128
start_x=1
disable_camera_led=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=81

[0xdc2525db]
# ** Tranquility: 00000000dc2525db **
# ** Raspberry Pi Model 3B Rev 1.2
dtparam=audio=on
#hdmi_force_hotplug=1
#hdmi_group=1
#hdmi_mode=16
#start_x=1
lcd_rotate=2
gpu_mem=256
dtoverlay=rpi-tv
disable_splash=1
arm_64bit=1
#disable_overscan=1
#max_framebuffers=2
#framebuffer_priority=0

[0xcb95b0ba]
# ** Ulysses    : 00000000cb95b0ba **
# ** Raspberry Pi 3 Model A Plus Rev 1.0
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=16
dtoverlay=rpi-tv
arm_64bit=1
#kernel=kernel8.img

[0x5b592f7f]
# ** Viking     : 000000005b592f7f **
# ** Raspberry Pi Model A Plus Rev 1.1
dtparam=audio=on
gpu_mem=16
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=81

[all]
dtparam=spi=on
dtparam=i2c_arm=on
disable_splash=1
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

bjtheone

Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:08 pm

SyncBerry wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:40 am
Agree again, I hope my wording was not so poor and I can't see I showed I was in a hurry.
Once I got the track I workedaround the "it doesn't work :-(" on my own, not boring anyone.
As I was afraid to break the conf I'm building (OK, I backup with rsync sometimes), it took me one hour to figure why: there is something not clear in the doc about the syntax. All examples everywhere and many lines in the file are given as parameter=value, which I tried first, but this one requires be prefixed with dtparam=parameter=value.
This is the story of newbs of my make.
ATM I'm trying to resolve a real issue, but I don't anymore dare to ask.
The bit about "demanding answers" was not aimed at you. Was trying to explain that a fairly small number of folks answer a disproportional number of questions and they may not get around to a particular question for some time. Demanding an answer on a discussion forum, with a title like "help" or "urgent" is not going to magically produce instant help.

Please don't stop asking questions. However, some useful tips are:

* indicate english is not your mother tongue, if it is not
* update your profile to list country
* provide as much info as possible (model, os, version, hardware attached, what it is doing, what you tried, etc )

I suspect people are more inclined to invest their time in helping if they feel you are invested in solving your problem. Knowing there is a potential language issue is also important, as people are more inclined to give you the benefit of doubt rather than just writing off the question as poorly worded.

SyncBerry

Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:13 pm

davidcoton wrote:
...what the [...] heading meant, but a successful search depends on knowing the answer :o Catch 22
I would not have said this in such a radical way... until you gave me the idea:
Board index wrote: Search found 0 matches: [...]
Search found 0 matches: [ ]
Search found 0 matches: []
even [escaped|double|back]quoted ;)
and with the 2 yet in the file:
Board index wrote:Search found 6753 matches: [pi4]
:sick:
Board index wrote:Search found 278840 matches: [all]
:vomit:
davidcoton wrote:Real Human found THE match: Doc->Filters
Thanks man :ugeek: