Llarian

Sense Hat on RPi 4 ...

Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:25 pm

In anticipation of requiring active cooling on the RPi 4, I have a question about using addons with it, specifically the Sense Hat. Does anyone have any experience with this and can offer comment? Will the cooling unit interfere with access to the GPIO header?

Thnx in advance.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Sense Hat on RPi 4 ...

Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:36 pm

Why do you think you will require active cooling? What particular use case are you envisaging?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Llarian

Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:19 pm

Several articles that I have read have indicated that the Pi4 runs considerably hotter, experiencing thermal throttling, especially with the inclusion of accessories with increased power requirements.

TideMan

Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:30 am

I've been running the SenseHat on a Pi 4 for the last month with no problems.
Attached plot of temperature indicates a spike at 5 pm on some days, but other than that, it seems plausible.
Attachments
SHTemp.png
SHTemp.png (20.08 KiB) Viewed 234 times
If you wish in this world to advance, your merits you're bound to enhance.
You must stir it and stump it and blow your own trumpet, or trust me you haven't a chance.
Ruddigore, G&S

graphicw

Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:50 am

You could always place the Sense Hat in a separate connected to the Pi 4 via a ribbon cable. That will help keep the sense hat away from the board and it's heat while at the same time allowing you to pursue a cooling solution such as a fan shim.

Return to “Beginners”