Middleagedhusband

Pie 4 red led on, green led blinks once, 2 different RPie 4's

Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:32 pm

Hello all,

My son has bought a RPie 4 and has had an issue, so bought another unfortunately with same issue, any help please.

The RED led is permanently lit, GREEN led blinks once..... without SD card in, it flashes 4 times as expected, I can't find a description of what 1 flash on the Green act Led means ?

He has put Raspbian on 3 different cards 16gb, 32gb, 64gb all work OK in my Pie 2. My working 8gb card used in Pie 2 is the same in his Pie 4.

Obviously no display on HDMI.

He has reflashed bootloader.

He has had the same symptoms on 2 different RPise 4's from different suppliers on Amazon, any help, thoughts or suggestion please.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Pie 4 red led on, green led blinks once, 2 different RPie 4's

Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:52 pm

Since you have two showing the same symptoms it seems very unlike to be the Pi's so I would expect there is something wrong somewhere in setup. What power supply are you using, and have you tried different display devices and cables?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Andyroo

Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:53 pm

Obvious question - are you using the latest Buster or an old image from your local PC?

Not that I would EVER do that :lol:

Llarian

Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:33 pm

I experienced this when I purchased my Raspberry Pi 4. Since I use a dedicated SD card for each of my units, I had purchased a new SD card and installed the latest version of Raspbian Buster. Note: since it was a new SD card I did NOT format the card.

Removed the SD card. Formatted it, redownloaded Raspbian. Installed SD card and boot. Everything worked fine.

Might not be the same condition as you are experiencing, but for what it's worth ...

rbscebu

Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:36 am

Middleagedhusband, I had a very similar problem with my new Raspberry Pi 4B 4GB. Tried 3 different new 32GB SD cards (class 10) and with each one at boot the red power LED came on, the green ACT light flashed for about w2 to 3 seconds and then went out (with the red LED staying on. This was all with an official Raspberry Pi PSU.

The three SD cards were all newly loaded with the latest Raspian and worked perfectly in my RPi3B+. I ended up returning my RPi4B to the supplier who checked the board and found that it was faulty. Now waiting for my replacement RPi4B to arrive.
RPi4B 4GB with Raspian Buster
RPi3B+ with Raspian Buster
RPi0W with Raspian Buster

Middleagedhusband

Re: Pie 4 red led on, green led blinks once, 2 different RPie 4' SOLVEDs

Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:54 pm

Hello to all the guys that posted helpful replies to my issues.

After buying a new Genuine power supply and HDMI lead, it turned out that the HDMI was faulty, the replacement HDMI worked straight away, wish I'd had a micro HDMI cable to test originally.

I've now got spare HDMI leads and adapters, and spare power supply all ready for next time.

Thanks guys

Return to “Beginners”