margotpi

Just got my first Pi !

Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:31 am

Hi guys,

I just got my very first Pi 4 and have a couple of questions I couldn't find the answer to:

status: I cannot connect to a screen/monitor, sd came with noobs already flashed on it and I only can see the the RPI ip address (wired connection)

I imagine vnc has to be installed first, right ? (all I tried is connecting but no luck)

Can I ssh into it yet or noobs has to be configured before ? (it doesn't connect to, I am using "remote shell connection" built in on macos, tried with and without username but get "command not found on ip address")

I bought the kit with the original plastic case and it came with the little heatsinks that I haven't installed yet. I see a lot of controversy on this, is there an official stand on 'cooling' ? I mean the RPI has thermal throttling and everything but right after couple of minutes that it was on the cpu was hot to the touch where you couldn't hold your finger on it for more that few seconds.

What do you guys think ?

Thank you!

drgeoff

Re: Just got my first Pi !

Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:47 pm

At the top of every forum page is the word "Help". Click that and find the "Remote Access" icon.

pcmanbob

Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:58 pm

Hi.

If you are trying to set you new pi up without using a screen and keyboard then you can't use noobs to do it , as noobs is just an installer and requires interaction using a screen and keyboard.

Get yourself another SD card 16GB will be fine,

then using a desktop PC , download the raspbian image file from here.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

I would suggest Raspbian Buster with desktop and recommended software.

then download etcher from here and install it.

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

then using a usb card reader flash the image on to your SD card using etcher, once etcher has finished and before removing the SD card create a file called ssh.txt on the card , to enable ssh on the pi.

Then eject the SD card install it in the pi and with your wired LAN connection connected boot the pi , give it a couple of minutes as the pi will do a reboot to expand the OS on the card, once you can see an IP address for you pi , connect to it using ssh .

once connected via ssh run

Code: Select all

sudo raspi-config
from there you can set you location / language and enable VNC, then you just need the VNC viewer on your desktop PC and using the IP of your pi you should be able to connect to the desktop on the pi.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

margotpi

Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:46 pm

fantastic, thank you pcmanbob!

I'll try with raspbian and see what happens.

any takers on the cooling ? how do you guys keep your RPI ? case ? no case ? heatsinks ? aftermarkets with or without fans ?

Andyroo

Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:53 pm

Many many answers to the heat issue.

Have a look through https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8&t=243500

I’m seeing lots of https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/fan-shim being noted as working well.

This may interest you https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qa3YnWhzPsw - it’s also worth looking at the rest of the Man with the Swiss Accent videos. He is funny and very knowledgeable.

Definitely get a case - even if you only use the bottom it will save you shorting the Pi on a staple , knife etc.

lpsw

Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:56 pm

margotpi wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:46 pm
fantastic, thank you pcmanbob!

I'll try with raspbian and see what happens.

any takers on the cooling ? how do you guys keep your RPI ? case ? no case ? heatsinks ? aftermarkets with or without fans ?
It depends on what you're planning to use it for, and what you plan to connect to it:
Pi Camera (via CSI), display (via DSI), or GPIO?
Full desktop, or headless?
Playing HD video (Youtube, etc)...?
Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is - Isaac Asimov

margotpi

Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:27 pm

well I bought the RPI mainly to experiment with it and also to see if I can learn something from it

the idea is to use it remotely (vnc ssh) without a anything connected to it to learn some code; maybe Scratch or a little Python

also I read great things about the Sense Hat module but I wouldn't know what to do with it

another idea was to use it as a low power option to run cgminer with small asic processors connected to it

this is it for now, I guess you can say these are all the uses I am going to experiment with

margotpi

Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:06 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:53 pm
Many many answers to the heat issue.

Have a look through https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8&t=243500

I’m seeing lots of https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/fan-shim being noted as working well.

This may interest you https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qa3YnWhzPsw - it’s also worth looking at the rest of the Man with the Swiss Accent videos. He is funny and very knowledgeable.

Definitely get a case - even if you only use the bottom it will save you shorting the Pi on a staple , knife etc.

sorry I totally missed your post !

great video, I still have to go through all the posts on the pi 4 temp though

I did buy the Pi armor case with dual fan I wasn't sure I was going to use but after the video I am pretty much sold .. wow look at those temps !

Unless of course you guys would advice against that !

right now the pi is sitting in its original and very stylish original case .. I guess I am going to miss it ..

this is the one I got
Attachments
aa.jpg
aa.jpg (18.07 KiB) Viewed 696 times

LTolledo

Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:51 pm

This is my setup
RPi4B-4G_Armorcase.jpg
RPi4B-4G_Armorcase.jpg (195.05 KiB) Viewed 673 times
opening it up...
RPi4B-4G_Armorcase-open.jpg
RPi4B-4G_Armorcase-open.jpg (200.56 KiB) Viewed 673 times

below is my final desktop setup (shown together with its RPi3B+ predecessor)
the one on top is a DAC-Amp HAT (Suptronix X400 v3.0)
RPiDesktopSetups.jpg
RPiDesktopSetups.jpg (195.4 KiB) Viewed 673 times
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

margotpi

Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:23 am

nice !

I see you are using thermal tape with the armorcase, have you thought/tried switching to thermal paste ?

Where do you connect the power to the fans ? the cable goes underneath the pi ..

LTolledo

Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:53 am

thermal tape (or pad, or whatever its called) is only used as "thermal insulator" for the RAM and USB chip, the thin copper sheet is attached to the heatsink using thermal paste, while thermal grease is used on contact point between the thin copper sheet and the SoC. I get 7C to 9C difference compared with using the thermal tape/pad/whatever over the SoC.

my fan's power source is ....... an "open secret" :lol:.... however I can take your guesses (up to 3 allowed ;) )

also you'll notice that the fans are slightly elevated on the armor case... compared to your image.....

Some people be like:

margotpi

Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:19 am

you absolutely win ! awesome setup !

my guess (more like a shot in the dark) you connected to the usb-c power supply .. I honestly have no idea !

about the elevated fans you used spacers to improve the airflow .. I guess ..

LTolledo

Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:34 pm

margotpi wrote: my guess (more like a shot in the dark) you connected to the usb-c power supply .
got it on the first guess! congratulations! :D
yes I solder the wires of the connectors for the fan supply on the "test pads" or TP near the USB-C port, specifically TP1 and TP7 (you may check the schematic diagram to confirm this)
for all my fan-cooled RPis I use this same method. (there were some forum members who "felt offended" by this method, but that's their problem, not mine!).
Using this method clears the GPIO headers for more important use (usually I install an audio DAC or other 40-pin HATS)
margotpi wrote: about the elevated fans you used spacers to improve the airflow .. I guess ..
you're correct as well, I used spacers (actually 3mm resin nuts as spacers) to improve air flow, thus improve cooling.

Some people be like:

margotpi

Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:50 pm

I got lucky on the power supply guess !

very nice work, I wouldn't be able to solder the wires to those tiny connectors, I guess I am 'stuck' with the HATS pins but I don't mind

I may instead copy your setup for the spacers, it's a really good idea to elevate the fans as you did

thanks for sharing !

drgeoff

Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:12 pm

If you are even half decent at soldering, soldering wires to the underside of the board where the 5 volt and ground pins are soldered should be within your capabilities.

margotpi

Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:42 pm

drgeoff wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:12 pm
If you are even half decent at soldering
I am not ! I am really bad at it, and my big fat paws don't help either !

'smallest' wire I have ever solder are in the 3 to 4 mm size not even to a board but to those snap on connectors .. result was ok-ish ..

I guess powering the fan directly from the power supply is out of the question for me, hopefully there are no recommendations against connecting to the HAT pins

LTolledo

Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:49 pm

margotpi wrote: ...hopefully there are no recommendations against connecting to the HAT pins
as long as you connect it when there is no electrical power (whatsoever voltage) supplied/connected to the RPi then you're "all green" and good to go. :D

Some people be like:

margotpi

Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:44 am

I did read about that 'must do' for the pi, everything must be connected when then unit is powered down .. even usbs and ethernets !

hopefully I'll remember that through time ..

I also read about voltage limits you can connect to the HAT, but not having the fans in my hands I can't check on that right now

I am assuming connecting directly to the power supply or to the HAT does little difference in terms of 'burdening' the pi, unless there are voltage regulators in the middle .. note that I don't know what I am talking about here

neilgl

Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:41 pm

I would have gone for a flirc case for cooling, no fans, no soldering, no noise.

margotpi

Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:31 pm

unluckily I found out about the flirc only after I bought the fanned armor case ..

LTolledo

Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:24 am

I also have a FLIRC case, but for RPi3B+.

its good to have the RPi3B+ in FLIRC case running near you during the cold months... as its a good source of heat to warm cold hands :D
so that means my RPi3B+ "runs" hotter than on the armor case, 45C vs 36C (ambient 18C).

and most of all... cant mount HATS/hard access to GPIO pins on RPi3B+ in FLIRC case....

but if you're not planning to GPIO tinkering with the RPi, then the FLIRC case may be ok.
(you can also do tinkering with the GPIO of RPi in FLIRC case... but you'll need to use "special ribbon cable" set to extend the GPIO outside the FLIRC case.

Some people be like:

margotpi

Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:22 am

as for now I am planning on using the Pi just a headless remote server I can log into and mess around with (no GPIO there)

one thing I would like to try is running cgminer on the Pi as a low power option, but I still have to try it or test its stability, I am reading a lot of different stories out there, but it would certainly be a nice alternative to a 'dedicated' motherboard/cpu/psu

maybe for my next Pi I'll get a flirc case, let's see how much I like the armor case, aesthetically I also dig the armor case without fans, looking nice there !

neilgl

Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:15 pm

Yes I have several other Pis for GPIO stuff, none in a flirc case but the 2 pi3 that run 24x7 are in flirc cases and so is the Pi4 now.

Return to “Beginners”