morten.bertheussen

Re: RPI 4B not booting

Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:13 pm

I'm fairly new with RPI and need some help.

What have i done so far:
  • Raspbian Buster with desktop on a SanDisk MicroSDHC Ultra 32GB 98MB/s using the tutorial found on:
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

I choose to the balenaEtcher route.
    Directory1.png
    Raspbian buster on MicroSD
    Directory1.png (106.14 KiB) Viewed 305 times
  • I have bought the official Raspberry Pi 15.3W USB-C Power Supply and it seems to be working great (steady red light on PWR).
  • The EEPROM is working as intended (Repeated 4Blinks followed by a short break when MicroSD card is not present).
  • When i cycle the power the ACT LED flashes bright green in an erratic pattern that i can not identify as LED warning flash codes, but more like it indicates data transfer. After ~20seconds the ACT stops flashing brightly, but continue to have activity allthough very dimmed.
    Figure 1.jpg
    Dimmed green ACT
    Figure 1.jpg (122.72 KiB) Viewed 305 times
My current plan is:
  • Try a 16GB MicroSD card
  • Try a different monitor at work
  • Try and SSH in to the RPI
To be honest, i am fairly new to the Raspberry PI and i would love some comeback on what i should try to get this to work.
Thanks in advance! :)

PS: I might add that i have read the guide on https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 28&t=58151.

jbudd

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:23 pm

You can tell if it's booting by putting ssh.txt and/or wpa_supplicant.conf in the drive that Windows can write to.

Plug the SD card into the Pi, connect your HDMI, keyboard etc and turn on. Give it 5 minutes. If there's nothing on the screen unplug it and check if ssh.txt and wpa_supplicant.conf have gone.
If so, Raspbian booted and you need to research HDMI output problems.

drgeoff

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:36 pm

The specs of the Samsung monitor linked to say it has HDMI and Mini-DisplayPort. Why use a MINI-DP to HDMI converter?

morten.bertheussen

Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:12 pm

jbudd wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:23 pm
You can tell if it's booting by putting ssh.txt and/or wpa_supplicant.conf in the drive that Windows can write to.

Plug the SD card into the Pi, connect your HDMI, keyboard etc and turn on. Give it 5 minutes. If there's nothing on the screen unplug it and check if ssh.txt and wpa_supplicant.conf have gone.
If so, Raspbian booted and you need to research HDMI output problems.
I will try this when i am done at work.

morten.bertheussen

Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:13 pm

drgeoff wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:36 pm
The specs of the Samsung monitor linked to say it has HDMI and Mini-DisplayPort. Why use a MINI-DP to HDMI converter?
Because the screen has PIP functionality and the HDMI port is used for this computer. :)
I got the adapter on the checklist for things to try once i get another cable. :)

itimpi

Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:51 pm

What HDMI -> Display port adapter are you using? It needs to be an ‘active’ one - a simple cable will not work.

I would check that the Pi is working correctly by plugging it into something like a TV HDMI port as that is almost certain to work if the Pi is working. If that works then you know your current problem is the way you are handling the micro-HDMI -> DP connection.

drgeoff

Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:58 pm

itimpi wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:51 pm
What HDMI -> Display port adapter are you using? It needs to be an ‘active’ one - a simple cable will not work.

I would check that the Pi is working correctly by plugging it into something like a TV HDMI port as that is almost certain to work if the Pi is working. If that works then you know your current problem is the way you are handling the micro-HDMI -> DP connection.
The OP's monitor has an HDMI input which he is using with another computer. Don't know if it is laziness or lack of intelligence or some other reason that he/she has not even temporarily unplugged that other computer from the HDMI input and plugged the RPi in to it.

itimpi

Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:04 pm

I saw that - but if the monitor has any unusual resolution or timings the HDMI connection may not work ‘out-of-the-box’. That is one reason I always suggest using a TV to validate a Pi HDMI port as one can be reasonably certain it will have a standard resolution and timing.

Return to “Beginners”