McGuigew

Control my shutters with a radio emitter?

Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:06 pm

Hi everyone!

I posted my questions on reddit but it was of no help, I hope I have better luck here!

I am new to the raspberry pi scene and to coding in general, but I have been very lucky to be able to make a security camera and a timelapse machine with RpiZs. My next project would be to control the shutters in my house through voice command. I honestly did not bother looking up how possible that was and went on Ebay to buy an emitter/receptor that is 868mhz, like my shutters commands (they are already wireless and 868mhz is noted on all commands). I just bought this house so I don't have a clue how to get my shutters signal, neither do I know how to wire or use the emitter/receptor. I probably sound silly, could anyone tell me if that project is possible? and how hard it would be?

I bought this : https://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 9140777019
Anyone with a little knowledge can tell if I can wire that directly to the RPI or if I need something else? Thanks!

McGuigew

Re: Control my shutters with a radio emitter?

Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:23 am

UP! Nobody knows anything about that?

gordon77

Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:36 am

Your link just directs me to a page to sign in...

joan

Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:39 am

Ditto the link.

Anyhow just search for 434 radio on the forum to find an appropriate topic.

B.Goode

Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:49 am

McGuigew wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:23 am
UP! Nobody knows anything about that?

Most support and advice in these forums is offered by volunteers donating their own free time. Maybe noone with both the skills and inclination to respond has logged on in the 14 hours since your query. (Much of that period will have been night-time hours in Europe and the Americas.)

And as a practicality, these forums have an Unanswered Topics search. By your own action your question would have been suppressed from the results of that search.

gordon77

Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:44 am

I think it would useful to know..

Make and Model of blinds.
Frequency and protocol the blinds use.
Do you have a remote for the blinds.
Could the remote be modified to interface to the RPi.
What you have bought.

McGuigew

Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:59 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if my impatience was disrespectful! I didn't mean to sound like that.

OK, I'll do my best to make my query more precise.

The blinds are from Tryba, a french brand. But I suspect the wireless part was added after the blinds, not sure. I have small remote for each blind. Reading what's noted behind one of them :

"MVM-STM2-N
3 V CR2032
No. 9008041030.47
868Mhz Band"

Looked behind another, says exactly the same things. I also have a general remote that works with all blinds, I can make groups of blinds and everything, it's a TempoTel 2.

Regarding what I bought, sorry for the bad link, I think the object isn't on ebay after I bought it. I'll copy the description of it here (in French but very transparent) :

Type de module de communication : RF
Genre de module emetteur recepteur : FM
Genre de modulation : FSK
Frequence : 868MHz
Interface : SPI
Sensibilite du recepteur : -105dBm
Tension d'alimentation : 2.2...3.8V DC

I added a picture of it.

Could the remote be modified to interface the Rpi ? Maybe, but I'd like to avoid opening the remotes of do anything with them as my little project must not modifiy the normal way things work for now (or my wife might kill me).

I hope that's better information!
Attachments
IMG_20190915_230519.jpg
IMG_20190915_230519.jpg (221.63 KiB) Viewed 620 times

B.Goode

Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:50 pm

With no experience or practical knowledge in this area, it seems to me that there are (at least) two 'known unknowns' here. (There might be many 'unknown unknowns')

How do you interface that module to the Raspberry Pi board? What are the functions of the 12 pins? What is the protocol or command structure that is implemented over the SPI interface?

How do you get that module to 'talk' over the 868MHz band to the controller for the shutters? What sort of messages can you send and how are they encoded?

I notice the spec is "module emetteur recepteur" (Transmitter/Receiver)

So if you could solve the RPi interface issues maybe you could use it as a Receiver to capture and decode the messages being sent from the Remote Control to the shutters? And then regenerate those messages yourself from the RPi?

In short, I think you need a whole lot of specific proprietary information about the fm12bdp module and the shutter controls to be able to progress this.

McGuigew

Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:47 am

Thanks you for answering! Following you remarks, I wrote to the vendor, he just sent me this sheet that I have to study, here it is :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wNoKMX ... sp=sharing

The first quick read gave me the impression it was a good purchase as it states it can be used for that type of purpose.

EDIT: The first page says "SPI compatible serial control interface ", does that mean I can use it directly with my RPi ?
Last edited by McGuigew on Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McGuigew

Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:50 pm

This seems important!
Attachments
schema.png
schema.png (113.11 KiB) Viewed 534 times

McGuigew

Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:02 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:50 pm
So if you could solve the RPi interface issues maybe you could use it as a Receiver to capture and decode the messages being sent from the Remote Control to the shutters? And then regenerate those messages yourself from the RPi?

In short, I think you need a whole lot of specific proprietary information about the fm12bdp module and the shutter controls to be able to progress this.
That is indeed the project sir! But seeing that document is quite frightening to me as I have no technical knowledge. It seems very complex...

cmrincon

Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:01 pm

Hi!

I agree with gordon, we need more information to help you. We need to know the modulation type used in your shutters in order to help you. Notice that it's posible you wasted your money in a wrong transceiver.

I did something similar but with my garage door. For that purpose a SDR was very usefull to know the modulation type, simbol rate and what to transmit.

Cesar.

Return to “Beginners”