RL600

Can't install software on the pi

Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:35 am

Hello all,

I have installed Raspbian on the raspberry pi. This is the first time I have to deal with Linux. I want to install software but that don't go so well. Only the .deb file was automatically opened with the Xarchiver . The other extensions such as .rpm or tar.bz2 I tried it with the terminal but the only thing I get are errors. I have searched on youtube and google, but I just don't get it running. Can somebody give me a sort of turtorial on how to install software on the raspberry pi.

RL600

simonpb1

Re: Can't install software on the pi

Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:50 am

You usually install using apt-get normally as the root user.

Search on google for installing packages on raspberry pi it will almost always use apt-get

for example to install a mysql database

sudo apt-get install mysql

efflandt

Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:18 pm

Before downloading packages from other sources, check if such a package is already in the Raspberry Pi repositories. I am used to using somewhat easier synaptic in X and am just learning how to use the old terminal program aptitude. Run it in a terminal (or lxterninal):

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude
Whenever you run it, first hit "u" (unless just done recently) to update packages and wait. You can search by entering "/" and search term. When you find a package you want, hit "+" (usually: Shift +/= key). Then "g" will go (lists pkgs, then do again to install). Or "q" at any time to quit.

If you get any outside packages, make sure that they are the proper architecture for the ARM cpu (if not just scripts). Files for a regular PC (x86 or amd64) will not work. Debian uses .deb files. Files ending in .rpm are for RedHat or Fedora.

Files ending with .tgz or tar.gz are zipped files and directories that xarchiver should be able to extract. But they do not necessarily install unless there is a script within that content that you need to run (see if there is a README file included in extracted files or directories).

For extracting .tgz or tar.gz files in a terminal you would do the following (or .tgz if file name ends with that):

tar -xzvf filename.tar.gz

Type man tar in a terminal and hit Enter for more info

RL600

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:44 pm

I'm trying at this very moment. But I have a very noob qeustion. In the terminal I type in for example "cd map". After he goes in to this map I don't know how I can leave that map.

RL600

joan

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:51 pm

Linux directories are pretty much a tree structure.

Use

cd ..

to step up one level.

Use

pwd

to show your current position within the directory structure.

RL600

Can't install software on the pi

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:02 pm

Currently, I try to install avast, but that doesn't work.
I go to this page http://www.avast.com/nl-nl/linux-home-edition#tab1 and click on the .deb file.
Then I tried with the "sudo apt-get install < package >.deb" to install the package, but he gave me a error.

RL600

cmatthews

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:41 pm

The apt-get command is designed for pulling packages down from an existing repository ( a bit like the app store for RPi but better and free). If you download a .deb package or source code from a website then the procedure is different. However, even if you follow the correct procedure, it is unlikely that the avast .deb file you downloaded will work, because it will most probably have been compiled for a PC architecture which uses x86 processors, not ARM.

If you want to try installing the .deb, try the following from inside the directory where you downloaded the .deb file to:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i <package-name>.deb
www.mydominion.co.uk

cmatthews

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:50 pm

The avast software that you linked to isn't going to work, its not built for ARM.

Do you REALLY need antivirus right now? My view is that it would be overkill unless you have very sloppy habits with respect to downloading and executing code from unverified sources, others might disagree.
www.mydominion.co.uk

ahstwin

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:05 pm

Generally, linux based OSs don't need AV programs. Easy as that.

If you're starting out in linux then these commands in terminal will be your friend:

cd .. - Goes up 1 directory
ls - Gives a listing of all the files and folders in your current folder.
sudo apt-get update - Checks the net for updates to any of your installed applications
sudo apt-get upgrade - Installs any missing updates you haven't gotten yet.
sudo apt-get install ________ - Searches the software repository on the internet for a raspberry version of the software you're trying to look for and installs it.
startx - Brings up your GUI interface (i.e. the desktop and other stuff)
sudo poweroff - turns off your Pi from the command line
sudo reboot - Restarts your Pi from command line

These are just to get you started. Many, if not all, operations in windows can be done in linux using a command line. If you need any tips on commands just google it

RL600

Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:42 pm

Thanks for all the nice information,

I will try in the next few days (I'm very busy now). By the way I found this site a few hours ago.
http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~sjc/raspberrypi/ (A really must read article). In the next weekend I'm going to try it on 2 pi's. Can't wait. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Return to “Beginners”