bmwc3

Calibre Not Updating Pi 3

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:06 am

Hi Everyone,

Looking in the repository, calibre should be on version 3.39.1 However, when I try to update it, the pi says that it's on the latest version of 2.75.1

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get install calibre
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
calibre is already the newest version (2.75.1+dfsg-1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

I feel like I'm missing something really simple, but I've updated raspian and everything else.

What can I do to update Calibre?

Thank you!

fruitoftheloom

Re: Calibre Not Updating Pi 3

Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:07 am

bmwc3 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Looking in the repository, calibre should be on version 3.39.1 However, when I try to update it, the pi says that it's on the latest version of 2.75.1

Building dependency tree

I feel like I'm missing something really simple, but I've updated raspian and everything else.

Thank you!

What release of Raspbian are you actually running ?
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot) RaspiOS64 ARM64
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

bjtheone

Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:59 am

That version of Calibre is in Stretch. I suspect you have not yet updated to Buster or your upgrade did not go particularly well.

I can confirm the new version for Buster, since I am running it.

Note:

sudo apt-get upgrade << Updates to latest versions in current release you have installed
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade << Updates to latest versions in latest release available

Also, it is usually better to start fresh. While you certainly can upgrade to newer releases, you are carrying the baggage of all the tweaks and fiddles you did to the old release. Sometimes you get odd conflicts and strange behaviour. Of course I don't practice what I preach and have linux systems that have survived many release upgrades. On the other hand, I have also spent much time fixing them.

Given that it is so painless, I would strongly recommend starting with a fresh SD card and installing Buster on it. Add in the apps, like Calibre that you use, and then stick the old SD card in a USB adaptor and copy across whatever user data you care about. This has two advantages: (1) It will give you a fresh, clean install to work with and (2) you don't run the risk of horribly breaking your current install and worse case, loosing whatever user data you have on it. If you have your user data cleanly separated from the OS (ie not on the SD card with the OS), then this obviously does not apply.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:27 pm

bjtheone wrote:
That version of Calibre is in Stretch. I suspect you have not yet updated to Buster or your upgrade did not go particularly well.

Note:

sudo apt-get upgrade << Updates to latest versions in current release you have installed
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade << Updates to latest versions in latest release available

Also, it is usually better to start fresh. While you certainly can upgrade to newer releases, you are carrying the baggage of all the tweaks and fiddles you did to the old release. Sometimes you get odd conflicts and strange behaviour. Of course I don't practice what I preach and have linux systems that have survived many release upgrades. On the other hand, I have also spent much time fixing them.

Given that it is so painless, I would strongly recommend starting with a fresh SD card and installing Buster on it. Add in the apps, like Calibre that you use, and then stick the old SD card in a USB adaptor and copy across whatever user data you care about. This has two advantages: (1) It will give you a fresh, clean install to work with and (2) you don't run the risk of horribly breaking your current install and worse case, loosing whatever user data you have on it. If you have your user data cleanly separated from the OS (ie not on the SD card with the OS), then this obviously does not apply.

Note to go from one Raspbian Release to another the sources have to be changed as stated in the Buster Blog and not recommended:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/buster ... -raspbian/

SueGeo

Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:37 pm

bmwc3 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Building dependency tree

Thank you!
There may not be a current version in the repository. on Linux Mint, I had to update from the Calibre web site. My guess is Raspbian only has an old version in the repository, like Mint does. But I don't see Pi support on his website.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:58 pm

SueGeo wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:37 pm
bmwc3 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Building dependency tree

Thank you!
There may not be a current version in the repository. on Linux Mint, I had to update from the Calibre web site. My guess is Raspbian only has an old version in the repository, like Mint does. But I don't see Pi support on his website.

Calibre do not offer an ARMHF version on their website:

https://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux

Please do not use your distribution provided calibre package, as those are often buggy/outdated. Instead use the Binary install described below.

Binary install
calibre has a binary install that includes private versions of all its dependencies. It runs on 32-bit and 64-bit Intel compatible machines. To install or upgrade, simply copy paste the following command into a terminal and press Enter:

bjtheone

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:32 am

Interesting.... I use Calibre a lot. When I setup the 4B I started with Buster Lite, added Mate desktop and then added Calibre via

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install calibre
Seems to have worked fine, and I am definitely running verison 3.39.1.

sudo apt-cache showpkg calibre
produces:

Package: calibre
Versions: 
3.39.1+dfsg-3 (/var/lib/apt/lists/raspbian.raspberrypi.org_raspbian_dists_buster_main_binary-armhf_Packages) (/var/lib/dpkg/status)
 Description Language: 
                 File: /var/lib/apt/lists/raspbian.raspberrypi.org_raspbian_dists_buster_main_binary-armhf_Packages
                  MD5: 186d9ede4fee8b62a65e3debb2c12a1e

bmwc3

Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:32 am

bjtheone wrote:

Note:

Thank you! I followed your suggestion of doing a fresh install, backed up the SD card, reformatted it, and installed Buster. Everything was up to date and it also fixed this weird issue where I was able to connect to the wifi but didn't have access to the internet.

Return to “Beginners”