raspberrypifreak
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:30 am

firmware update for pi zero w?

Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:41 am

Does it exist? :D

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 14985
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: firmware update for pi zero w?

Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:52 am

Which firmware were you thinking of, and why do you ask about an upgrade?

Most of what you might call "firmware" is stored in the boot partition of the SD card and will get updated along with the kernel and bootloader when you do sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade.

Firmware for things like the WiFi chip are in other packages that will also get updated via this method.

There is no upgradeable firmware store in the main chip, just a small permanent boot ROM. The Pi 4B is the first Pi to have any updatable code stored in the main chip.

LTolledo
Posts: 1761
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:29 am
Location: Anime Heartland

Re: firmware update for pi zero w?

Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:54 am

@ OP do you have a RPiZeroW?
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

raspberrypifreak
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:30 am

Re: firmware update for pi zero w?

Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:06 am

LTolledo wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:54 am
@ OP do you have a RPiZeroW?
Yes I do.

raspberrypifreak
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:30 am

Re: firmware update for pi zero w?

Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:08 am

rpdom wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:52 am
Which firmware were you thinking of, and why do you ask about an upgrade?
I don't know. I just heard about firmware updates for the pi 4 to keep it cool, so I thought there may be firmware updates for the Pi Zero W that might improve it in some way.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20439
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: firmware update for pi zero w?

Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:20 am

raspberrypifreak wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:08 am
rpdom wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:52 am
Which firmware were you thinking of, and why do you ask about an upgrade?
I don't know. I just heard about firmware updates for the pi 4 to keep it cool, so I thought there may be firmware updates for the Pi Zero W that might improve it in some way.

Any updates of kernel / firmware / packages, if any, are included in the Raspbian Buster Operating System when upgrading:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo teboot
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

User avatar
davidcoton
Posts: 4008
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:37 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: firmware update for pi zero w?

Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:27 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:20 am
Any updates of kernel / firmware / packages, if any, are included in the Raspbian Buster Operating System when upgrading:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo reboot
FTFY
Signature retired

raspberrypifreak
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:30 am

Re: firmware update for pi zero w?

Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:54 am

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated! :)

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 35789
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: firmware update for pi zero w?

Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:10 pm

davidcoton wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:27 am
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:20 am
...

Code: Select all

sudo reboot
FTFY
But, sudo teboot is better. That one boils the IoT kettle, activates the robot to pour water on the tea-bag then waits five minutes for it to brew before rebooting the Raspberry.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

User avatar
thagrol
Posts: 1777
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:41 pm
Location: Darkest Somerset, UK
Contact: Website

Re: firmware update for pi zero w?

Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:04 pm

raspberrypifreak wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:41 am
Does it exist? :D
Strictly speaking no.
firmware
noun COMPUTING
permanent software programmed into a read-only memory.
The only firmware in a zero/zeroW(H) is the first stage bootloader built into the SoC. That's only upgradable with a new revision of the SoC and then you'd have to be able to handle the chip replacement...
This space unintentionally left blank.

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12117
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: firmware update for pi zero w?

Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:17 pm

True, the RPI4 is the first PI to actually has re-writable memory, that can contain firmware (boot code).

Earlier RPI's, including the zero, DO NOT HAVE firmware in upgradable permanent memory, they have no permanent memory at all, expect a very small piece ( a few kilo bytes) of boot code that has been "baked in the silicon", and cannot be changed, and a few BYTES of one time programmable PROM with a pre-defined use.

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10745
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: firmware update for pi zero w?

Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:50 pm

rpdom wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:52 am
There is no upgradeable firmware store in the main chip, just a small permanent boot ROM. The Pi 4B is the first Pi to have any updatable code stored in the main chip.
A quibble... The updatable firmware for the Pi4B is NOT part of the SoC. It is a separate EEPROM on the PCB.

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 14985
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: firmware update for pi zero w?

Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:55 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:50 pm
rpdom wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:52 am
There is no upgradeable firmware store in the main chip, just a small permanent boot ROM. The Pi 4B is the first Pi to have any updatable code stored in the main chip.
A quibble... The updatable firmware for the Pi4B is NOT part of the SoC. It is a separate EEPROM on the PCB.
Is it? Which chip is that then? I see a PMIC, SoC, RAM, USB and Ethernet chips on the board.

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10745
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: firmware update for pi zero w?

Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:56 pm

raspberrypifreak wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:08 am
I don't know. I just heard about firmware updates for the pi 4 to keep it cool, so I thought there may be firmware updates for the Pi Zero W that might improve it in some way.
Cooling is not an issue with the PI0/Pi0W. The SoC on those boards is a single CPU core plus the VC4 graphics at a default 1GHz. The Pi4B has 4 far more capable CPU cores at a default 1.5GHz and an upgraded VC6 graphics core. As a result, the Pi4B generates a LOT more heat. Indeed, under any conditions I have ever run a Pi, a Pi4B is the first one I have ever seen even begin to show an overheating warning. (Fortunately, it was easily remedied, even if the remedy *looks* rather ugly. I"m still deciding how I'm going to tackle a permanent, clean, solution. It'd be easy except for a shortage of 5v pins...)

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10745
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: firmware update for pi zero w?

Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:57 pm

rpdom wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:55 pm
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:50 pm
rpdom wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:52 am
There is no upgradeable firmware store in the main chip, just a small permanent boot ROM. The Pi 4B is the first Pi to have any updatable code stored in the main chip.
A quibble... The updatable firmware for the Pi4B is NOT part of the SoC. It is a separate EEPROM on the PCB.
Is it? Which chip is that then? I see a PMIC, SoC, RAM, USB and Ethernet chips on the board.
Beats me. Perhaps one of the RPT engineers will tell you...or correct me.

hippy
Posts: 5760
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: firmware update for pi zero w?

Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:27 pm

rpdom wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:55 pm
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:50 pm
A quibble... The updatable firmware for the Pi4B is NOT part of the SoC. It is a separate EEPROM on the PCB.
Is it? Which chip is that then? I see a PMIC, SoC, RAM, USB and Ethernet chips on the board.
AIUI, though I might be misremembering -

The Boot Eeprom is on the rear of the board at the top right with GPIO pins at the top.

The Eeprom for USB is on the front of the board, immediately bottom left of the VLI chip.

The Eeprom for LAN is the chip below that, above the jack socket.

hippy
Posts: 5760
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: firmware update for pi zero w?

Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:32 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:20 am
Any updates of kernel / firmware / packages, if any, are included in the Raspbian Buster Operating System when upgrading:
Except that depends on what one means by "firmware". The Boot Loader Code which is held in the Boot Eeprom is not currently updated by an apt or apt-get process though it may be in the future.

Return to “Beginners”