BogoMax

Recommended USB/SSD hardware

Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:56 am

OK I know this is lazy, but there are so many references to SSDs in the forums that I've given up trawling through the threads.

What I would be grateful to know from someone who has actually bought and is using an SSD via the USB3.0 interface is what hardware combination they are using (preferably available in the UK) and which they are satisfied with. :?

I know that's not great grammar but hopefully the meaning is clear.
Did I mention that I love my Raspberry Pi(s) :D. Amazing power from a tiny device.

bjtheone

Re: Recommended USB/SSD hardware

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:39 pm

From everything I have read the actual SSD does not seem to matter much. In a ultra high performance gaming laptop it likely does but for a Pi 4B attached over USB 3.0, pretty much any SSD delivers similar performance. I would suggest buying whatever name brand SSD is readily available and hopefully on sale locally.

The part that does matter is the USB/SATA interface since some chipsets with some firmware do not play well. Various folks have reported ones that seem to work and others that fail. The truly happy making issue is that it seems that some manufacturers change out the chipset they are using without changing the model number of the cable. A few folks have flashed new firmware and resolved the issue. My suggestion is buy the cable from somewhere local or with a good return policy and try it out. It is either going to work (hurray) or not.

I will try and list whatever info I can gleam off of mine tonight when I am back home. However I purchased it from a local computer supplier in Canada.

RaTTuS

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:53 pm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-SATA-Adapt ... 01N2JIQR7/ sort of thing is all you need then any ssd you find will be happy *

*YMMV but I use
https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-SATA-Adapt ... 01N2JIQR7/ if you can wait a bit
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

BogoMax

Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:26 pm

Thanks to bjtheone and RaTTus for the helpful replies.

I've gone with RaTTus' recommendation.

As a follow-on question, I have a legacy Kingston HyperX Fury (SHFS37A 240 GB).

This is labelled as "5v 1A" which is the current it draws I assume.

I've seen something about drawing a maximum of 1.2A from the PPi4, but I'm not sure if it only applies to the GPIO pins, the USB interface or both.

Can anyone clarify this for me please? Don't want to blow up the Pi and an SSD drawing 1A is a bit too close for my comfort.
Did I mention that I love my Raspberry Pi(s) :D. Amazing power from a tiny device.

RaTTuS

Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:29 pm

as long as you have a 3A PSU on the Pi it should be OK - it wont blow anything - just may not work
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

drgeoff

Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:24 pm

BogoMax wrote:
I've seen something about drawing a maximum of 1.2A from the PPi4, but I'm not sure if it only applies to the GPIO pins, the USB interface or both.
When using a 3 amp supply that can maintain 5 volts at any current not exceeding 3 amps, you can take up to 1.2 amps total from any mix of USB ports and GPIO header without impacting the RPi4B itself.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:27 pm

BogoMax wrote:
Thanks to bjtheone and RaTTus for the helpful replies.

I've gone with RaTTus' recommendation.

As a follow-on question, I have a legacy Kingston HyperX Fury (SHFS37A 240 GB).

This is labelled as "5v 1A" which is the current it draws I assume.

Can anyone clarify this for me please? Don't want to blow up the Pi and an SSD drawing 1A is a bit too close for my comfort.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /#pi-power
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

bjtheone

Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:31 am

So the enclosure I use is a:

https://www.amazon.ca/Mediasonic-Drive- ... B009DNIWKA

"sudo lsusb -v " provides the following info:

idVendor 0x2109 VIA Labs, Inc.
idProduct 0x0711
bcdDevice 4.14
iManufacturer 1 VIA Labs,Inc.
iProduct 2 USB3.0 SATA Bridge
iSerial 3 000000000028

Interestingly buried in the large amount of data is the claim:

MaxPower 8mA

It certainly has not been an issue powering off of a Canakit p/s on a 3B+ or an official Raspberry p/s on a 4B. The SSD I am using is a Kingston A400 128 GB.

BogoMax

Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:54 pm

Thanks bjtheone for the information.

Being the impatient type I ordered the one RaTTus posted from Amazon. It arrived a couple of hours ago and I've now fdisked it, installed an ext4 partition and used NOOBS to reinstall the /root partition on the SSD which seems to be working perfectly and is quite quick!

2231puppy

Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:20 am

Look up WD PiDrive on Amazon. I know you've probably solved it by now, so I'm just posting this for anyone who looks at this forum in the future.

Return to “Beginners”