killgraft

New rasberrypi users, cant get into GUI

Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:17 pm

Just got using the Rasberry PI today, using the wheezy linux from the recommended page on the site.

First time logging in I got into the set up page, only thing I really did was change the password (to "hello")

after rebooting, it asks for login/password. after entering I get a prompt saying

"pi@rasberrypi ` $"

After looking around a bit, I tried typing "chsh -s /bin/bash" as recommend to get into the GUI after this prompt. All this did was bring up another password prompt, and then put me right back to the $ prompt.

Any help would be appreciated for this new(ish) Linux user.

Wheel_nut

Re: New rasberrypi users, cant get into GUI

Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:19 pm

Type startx and enter.

MattCook

Re: New rasberrypi users, cant get into GUI

Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:54 pm

Startx is the answer, as mentioned. But to be a little more helpful perhaps ...

The command you used it the change shell command (chsh). The Shell and the GUI are not the same. The Shell is a CLI (command line interface), the GUI is the graphical user interface you were trying for. Google for Linux Shell Wiki if you want to know more.

Windows has a CLI which you get by running CMD. Only the one CLI though. Linux has lots of choices for everything. Lots of CLIs, lots of GUIs. This is either flexible, or confusing, depending on how you want to look at it.

Linux Startx Wiki in google will tell you more about what happens when you type startx, if you want to understand just what is going on in a bit more detail.

I hope that helps. Knowing a bit about what is happening is more useful than just typing in commands that you read on the web. Safer too - although I would hope any malicious commands (to format your SD card etc) would be picked up pretty fast by the community.

Matt

Return to “Beginners”