purelife

So stressed, Pi won't start up!

Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:17 am

I've tried so many times, with different SD cards, different OS, but my Pi model B still does not start up, I don't know what to do, I have tried different power supplys, keyboards everything, only a red light comes up. Help I'm so stressed!

Mursili

Re: So stressed, Pi won't start up!

Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:55 am

I am certain that we will need more detail to understand your problems. What OSs/versions have you tried, what sore of SD card have you tried, what power supply are you using?

fozzy bear

Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:30 am

Hello purelife

My first bit of advice.

Try not to stress out too much. There is no point
as being overly stressed doesn't help you to solve
problems ( also unhealthy ).
I understand you have probably been nervously
awaiting delivery ( as was I before my Pi arrived )
and noone enjoys these potential and initial
teething problems.

My attitude is "It either works or it doesn't" ( simple hey )
and I don't really care if there is a problem.
I am not going to have a stress attack over it.
I just go get a coffee etc and chill and then try
another approach and eventually you get there.

As the other user said we also need more details before
we can proceed.

So go get something good to eat and drink
out of the refridgerator ( coffee probably not a good idea right now).
Try to chill outside in the fresh air awhile

and then we can get stuck into solveing your problem(s).

Next Step

Have you been using preloaded SD cards ?
What are the OSes/images you are using ?
Have you checked your SD cards on another
PC/computer before first inserting into the Pi ?
( do this if you haven't and you should see
firstly a smaller FAT32 partition at the front of the
card (at the start) with various Linux startup files.
This FAT32 partition should be around 60MB or so.
The rest of the space ( some or most of it)
on the card is taken up by the Linux partition
which is EXT4 and only visible to a Linux
computer.).

If you think you have a problerm
with your SD card OS image then
you need to reimage the card
( all this info is already here on the site).
Download whatever image you want
and then reimage the card
( you will need an SD card reader as well).
Try to restart/reboot your Pi.

Next

Make sure you place your Pi on a stable
and non conductive surface [if not in a case].
Make sure all your cable plugs are inserted
firmly/fully into their sockets and that cables
won't snag anything and drag your Pi
onto the floor. Also make sure you are using the
right cables [and that they aren't damaged]
with the right plugs [ e.g. don't try to force
a mini USB power plug into the micro USB
power input] i.e. yes this is all common sense.

I would plug in the power supply last.

What power supply are you using ?
Should be 5V DC out and at least 700ma rated output current.
I am using a 1 amp supply which works fine ( 2 amp even better ).
Your power out and plug into your Pi uses a male micro USB
plug into the female USB socket on your Pi.

Next

You said you are getting a red power LED display
on your Pi so you know you have power.
Are any of the other LEDs flickering ?

Next

What video out are you using ?
( composite, HDMI or DVI-D ?).

If your HDMI out is not set up yet
HDMI and DVI-D will not work.
So you need to use the composite out
and set up HDMI before that can be used
on your Pi.

Are you getting anything on your display ?
Is the power plug for the display plugged into
the power and switched on ?
Is the display switched on ?
Make sure your Pi to display video cable
is plugged in correctly at both ends.

Next

That about covers it for the initial issues.

If you want to go any further
we need answers to the above steps.

Remember to chill out and not worry about it.

It will be resolved in good time.

cheers

fozzy

purelife

Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:41 pm

Hi, thanks for your advice but I have tried everything you suggested, it still does not work, I dont know what to do. It is just a plain sd card, Im trying to put a OS into myself using the raspberry pi website instructions. But it doesnt work. Only a red light comes on. I know the monitor is fine as are the sd cards. I tried Raspbian, Debian and Linux, but to no avail. My power supply is also the correct one. Basically I am doing everything you have pointed out, it still does not work!

Wheel_nut

Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:49 pm

If only the Red LED comes on when you plug in the Power Supply then the most likely problem is that the SD Card does not have a correctly written Operating system on it.

What method are you using to download and write the OS to the SD Card?

Please give as much detail as possible.

purelife

Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:32 am

Im using a win32 disk imager but it won't work. Also what does it mean by FAT32??

MattCook

Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:37 am

A different approach would be to tell us roughly where you live, and try to meet with someone with a working set-up. (Use PM to swap physical/email addresses without the world having to know.)

Swapping each component of the working system one at a time will enable you to determine which component(s) are causing the trouble.

Unless you live somewhere quite remote, I would expect that there is someone not too far away who may be able to help.

Matt

Wheel_nut

Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:41 am

purelife wrote:I've tried so many times, with different SD cards, different OS, but my Pi model B still does not start up, I don't know what to do, I have tried different power supplys, keyboards everything, only a red light comes up. Help I'm so stressed!
OK, You are failing to write the OS to the SD Card. Concentrate on this step as there is no point in putting the SD Card in the RPi until the OS is correctly written to the SD Card.

(Forget about FAT32, it is a Disk Format and not significant to your problem)

1) Are you able to run the Win32DiskImager? Does it open in its own Window on your Windows PC?

2) Are you using a SD Card to USB adapter to plug the SD Card into the PC? Note that the SD Card slot in most Laptops won't work with the Win32DiskImager Program.

3) Have you downloaded the latest version of Raspian Wheezy and stored it on your PC?

4) Are you able to find the Raspian Wheezy Image using the Browse function in Win32DiskImager?

5) Are you able to select your SD Card as the Output device in Win32DiskImager?

Please try to give us answers in as much detail as possible so we can assess the source of your problem.

purelife

Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:50 am

Hi, I can manage to write the image with the win32, it does recognise it and says its complete. And it shows up in the usb reader which is holding the sd card. But when I put it in the Pi nothing occurs! I followed the step by step guide, dont know what else to do..

fozzy bear

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:17 am

I'm assuming you are doing your imaging on a Windows
machine ( XP ? ).

It doesn't really matter which version ( probably has to be 32 bit though ).

After you do your image write have you then gone to My Computer
and opened the SD device ( which is removable mass storage in
Windows ) ? If you don't see any startup files there then something
went wrong with the imaging and you will have to try again
( if your SD card has a write lock slider switch then make sure it is set to the write position
before you image ).

There is the remote possibility that you have a defective Pi
( more than likely a problem with the SOC chip and there can be other problems
with soldering etc out on the pcb ).

Hope you have some success soon.

fozzy

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:54 am

If the card is correctly written, and at least there are the files on it as described in the wiki, then the PI should at least try to boot those files, and you would see the green led blink and at least see the rainbow screen.

When having "nothing happens" boot problems, its best to eliminate as many possible problem sources as possible, so try to boot with the smalles configuration possible, that is except for power and monitor cables, plug in no other cables! Obviously if the PI boots to the login screen you need a keyboard, but that is for later, the keyboard could interfere with the booting process so its best to leave it out initially.

Also, HDMI setups are more complicated than a simple composite video setup, so you may want to try that before advancing to a HDMI setup.

There are two possible reasons for boot problems if the card is ok;
1) Power problems, just the fact that the power light is burning doesn't mean the power is OK!
2) A defect that prevents the PI from reading the card.

Good power is essential for the PI to boot, but its a little easier if no USB devices have to be powered. Some causes can be: Power supply that is underrated, (chinese supplies do not always do what their labels say), unsuitable mini-USB cables that have wires that are too thin, and last but not least, a bad F3 polyfuse that has developed a too high resistance, and is "preventing much of the power to reach the PI. Power can be verified by measuring (with a multimeter) the voltage between TP1 and TP2, which should be above say 4.85V.

each PI has been tested in the factory, and passed, but problems can still occur, especially the card holder can cause problems due to bent pins, and other things that prevent the card from making good contact, so simply closely observe the card holder for defects.

If none of this works, you may have a "dead PI" to return under guarantee, but this doesn't happen too often.

fozzy bear

Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:06 am

The HDMI setup mentioned above may be necessary in some cases
and going by the fixed post on this at the top of this forum
I was initially under the impression that the HDMI output had to first be
enabled within Linux before it would work.

This doesn't seem to be the case as I am using a HDMI cable plugged into
a HDMI to DVI-D adaptor to plug into my thin screen LCD PC monitor
( and this works with no other changes ).
Maybe my rasbian image came with all the settings right for HDMI output ?

fozzy

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:56 am

HDMI should work on most tv/monitors out of the box - no setting up required.

If the card is set up correctly, and it still doesn't boot, and you have a decent power supply, and nothing plugged in, then its possible the Raspi is defective. It's rare but not unheard of (and very unlikely to be a defective SoC - more likely a bad solder connection. SoC are thoroughly tested even before they are soldered on to the board)). If you continue to have no luck, I'd suggest an RMA of the device to the original seller - you should get a replacement pretty quickly.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:55 pm

The PI's GPU firmware test if it can detect a HDMI device, if not it simply defaults to outputting a downscaled composite video signal.
As there can be technical problems with HDMI setups, if you are able to test the PI without them you have a better chance of finding the problem.

UglyMike

Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:13 pm

Another possibility is that somehow you broke of a very small sliver of the SD card slot. :( This is a real Achilles heel on the Pi. It is very flimsy and breaks incredibly easy. It's not all that easy to see either ( from the tone, I guess you already understood it happened to me....) Result would indeed be a perfectly installed Rasbian/Xbian/whatever leading to a red light. :evil: This is because possibly your SDCard is not getting a good connection. Look closely at the black border of your SDCard holder. When in doubt, insert the SDCard, press down firmly on it ( on the other side of the PCB, there is a sturdy ridge where you can hold your other finger). Then plug in the power and look closely at the LED. If this makes the green LED light up, you found the culprit and there all guides all over the web on how to fix it. :P If this doesn't help, then sorry, no idea what's wrong.... :roll:

purelife

Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:14 am

I appreciate everyones help. My computer that I'm using for imaging is a windows xp. I have checked the removable disk containing the sd card and it does have a startup file in there. I don't understand the adapter lock key, is this really important? All the pins and everything looks fine to be honest. I am also using a HDMI to VGA converter. I think I forgot to mention this - It did work a few times before but then the screen would freeze, so I took the power supply out and put it back in but this time nothing comes up. When it did work I could see the Raspberry symbol and it was booting and everything, but then it stopped, and it said something like 'it failed' or something. So I tried it again, but that was last week and now it doesn't come up at all! I only get the red light, the green light does not appear anymore. I don't know what happened or what I'm doing different..

Wheel_nut

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:28 pm

Why have you NOT let on until now that you had the RPi booting up (even if partially)?

Your use of an HDMI > VGA converter is very significant. Is this a SEPARATELY POWERED unit or is it powered from the HDMI Interface? Please provide a link to the device you are using.

Could you give FULL details of each component of your rig. This thread is so littered with red herrings that it has led many of the helpful posters to mis-diagnose your problem. So please give details of each component:

RPi Model, Rev# and Memory size
Power Supply
Cables
Keyboard
Mouse
WiFi Adapter (if any)
USB Hub (if any)
HDMI > VGA Converter
Monitor
Anything else you have attached

purelife

Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:09 am

OK

I have a raspberry pi model B
The converter is a hdmi to vga converter - http://tinyurl.com/d3gp3bm
I use this as I don't have a hd tv and want to use it on my small vga flatscreen. It did come on it a few times, I saw the raspberry symbol and colours and booting up of it, but now its just completely stopped working.
The power supply is my brothers blackberry charger, its specs meet the rasb pi requirements.
I use a normal hdmi cable.
I use a small usb keyboard and a small usb mouse.
I have tried to set it up without any extra attachments - it still won't work.
I have bought a wifi adapter but haven't used it yet.
The monitor is a small cheap old flatscreen called RELISYS, its VGA.
And I'm using a SanDisk 32gb sd card.

Wheel_nut

Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:47 pm

This is like pulling teeth! I will try one last time to help you.

I asked "RPi Model, Rev# and Memory size " ... You replied "I have a raspberry pi model B"

I need to know:
1) Rev 1 or Rev 2?
2) Memory size 266MB or 512MB?
3) Country of manufacture UK or China?
4) When you apply Power, Does the YELLOW LED flash for a few seconds before leaving only the Red LED lit?

I am aware or differences in the behaviour of the F3 Polyfuse on some production units where the Polyfuse displays a higher than specified Resistance. This is why I need to know the full configueation of your rig to assess current drawn. It is possible that the Polyfuse resistance has risen after your initial Boot and is now fropping your supply voltage below the 4.75V limit as measured between TP1 and TP2. There is a simple work-around for this so don't panic.

You are lucky that I have an identical HDMI to VGA converter to yours. It does require dome configuration parameters set up in the /boot/config.txt file but let's take it one step at a time.

Last question: What is the Resolution of your Monitor e.g. 1024 x 768 ?

purelife

Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:48 pm

Hi, I am now more stressed out than ever!

I don't know what you mean by rev1 rev 2. Its model B, with 512mb (I got a replacement upgrade from 266mb, but even this doesn't work).
I also recently bought the proper raspberry pi power supply. The Rpi is made in this country I'm assuming as I bought it from Farnell online company. No yellow light appears.
I am so confused and depressed, I just don't know why it won't work. I've spent so much time and money and effort on this product. I even just tried it on a hd tv with hdmi cable but it simply won't work. Its weird because it worked before but then would crash on boot up. This time nothing comes on except a red light and nothing on screen. I don't understand for the life of me why this doesn't work, this is unbelievably now my 4th Rpi! I don't know what to do, I have tried everything. I don't know what the resolution is, but it is an old flatscreen which I'm using the hdmi converter with. It did come on before but now it won't work at all, even though I have all the correct attachments; I'm highly baffled.

joan

Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:04 pm

Remove power from the Pi.

Put one of the SD cards you have prepared into the SD card slot on the Pi.

Switch the Pi on and look at the LEDs. What do they do?

purelife

Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:10 pm

OMG ITS WORKING!
I swapped the sdhc cards around.. I cant believe this.
Anyway I have another problem, now I have a horrible old fashioned sign appearing in the middle of my old 15inch flatscreen, which reads Out Of Range. I can't get rid of this. Also I have the Raspbian wheezy OS installed, when do I put in the password? A screen with Raspi-config comes up, then I pressed on Finish with the keyboard. But now a blue dollar sign is appearing, what do I do? There's all this computer language I don't understand and I don't know how to fit my screens resolution correctly. Please someone help, this is progress!

joan

Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:16 pm

If you type

whoami

on the keyboard what response do you get?

purelife

Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:26 pm

I tried whoami, nothing occured, just the blue dollar sign appeared.
I think I passed the login and password stage but then nothing happens.. why???

joan

Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:32 pm

I don't know.

I suggest you remove power for a few seconds and then power it up again.

Log in with username pi and password raspberry (the password will not be echoed).

I think its best that you then run raspbian config again and examine each option before pressing finish.

sudo raspi-config

Return to “Beginners”