cats squirrel

ssd compatibility

Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:01 pm

it is possible to use an ssd card (Samsung 970PRO) on a PC type computer (running ubuntu) and use the same device on a RPi4 USB3?

Is the formatting different?

My RPi 4 recognises the ssd but does not show any files I loaded onto it using the PC/ubuntu.

Roken

Re: ssd compatibility

Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:16 pm

The lack of useful information is astounding.

What filesystem is used, how are you connecting etc.
Headless PI. OMG, someone cut it's head off. Oh, hang on. it didn't have one to start with.

swampdog

Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:45 pm

Perhaps the OP needs to start again. I'm getting M2.PCI for a google on "Samsung 970PRO".

To the OP, theoretically, yes. I've been exchanging an ssd between a Pi4 and linux mint all week.

cats squirrel

Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:29 pm

swampdog, thanks, so what formatting did you use?

Roken, the astounding info is not necessary, either it is compatible, or it isn't. Doesn't seem to be. SSD in caddy with ASMedia chipset, through USB3. Pi4 recognises the ssd, but does not show any files.

swampdog

Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:00 pm

Start at the beginning of this thread to see how complex it might get..

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8#p1515778

Generally speaking, anything (filesystem-wise) ubuntu can see, the pi can also - ie: ext2,3,4. I haven't tried xfs,btrfs,zfs on the pi (nor encrypted, aka luks) so lets assume that's not the case or you'd have said? I do know it supports lvm2 with little effort.

Assuming no hardware problems (above link) and no bizarre file systems (above) then when you plug that usb caddy into ubuntu it should (possibly automount - I use Mint). Post output of this..

Code: Select all

$ lsblk
..before inserting the usb cable. Repeat after inserting it. Post both else nobody can help further. I'll be away until next week so help others on the forum help you iyswim ;-)

cats squirrel

Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:21 pm

thanks a lot, swampdog, much appreciate your kind approach.

Only difference comparing before and after connecting ssd via usb3 is addition of :

sda 8:0 953.9G 0 disk

however, if I connect up the ssd with a powered USB, it doesn't show the ssd.

Hope that helps someone?

When I try to access the ssd via GO Devices, it shows:

Samsung%20SSD%20970%20PRO%201TB.drive' is not valid

Caddie has ASMedia chip set.

cats squirrel

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:45 pm

OK, I have it working. I had to format it every conceivable way before it would work.

During my journey, somewhere it said it had 'Atari' something or other. It was replaced with 'sun'. Don't know what that means, but I don't care.

If others are having problems, suspect the chipset in caddies, only those with ASMedia seem to work. Also, powered USB seems to be a problem, too.

One thing I have found, the caddy case (and therefore the ssd chips) run significantly cooler once it is working properly.

Good luck, and thanks to all those who tried to help, rather than moan at me. I am a beginner with RP devices, but studied microelectronics at Cambridge University, so not a complete fool!

Ta

swampdog

Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:10 pm

Been away longer than expected!

When plugging/unplugging stuff it's helpful to open a terminal and type this..

Code: Select all

$ sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog
Loads of other stuff may be going on (kinda like the windows event log) but unlike that system "-f" is like "follow" so as soon as something writes into the log you'll see it. Feel free to hit <CR> two or three times (like when pinging) to make it easier to notice new entries. CTRL-C to get back to command line.

Return to “Beginners”