mushu999

RPi 4 on Buster returns odd system information

Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:47 am

Hoping someone could explain why different utilities are saying different things on my fully-updated RPi 4:

Code: Select all

> uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 4.19.57-v7l+ #1244 SMP Thu Jul 4 18:48:07 BST 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux

> pinout
SoC                : BCM2711
And yet:

> cat /proc/cpuinfo
Hardware	: BCM2835
Which do I believe and why are they different? Is there a patch for this? My problem is that once I see something wrong I don't trust any related info, so how can I be sure that the pinout displayed is trustworthy?

Just to be sure:

> cat /proc/device-tree/model
Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1
Thanks for any help!

trejan

Re: RPi 4 on Buster returns odd system information

Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:04 am

This is a frequently asked question. The upstream Linux kernel maintainers decided that every single Raspberry Pi board should show BCM2835 there even if it is a RPi 4 with a BCM2711. Ignore the Hardware line in /proc/cpuinfo. You should decode the revision field or look at /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/model

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:42 am

I have no idea how to stop this question from reoccurring. The upstream maintainers made an utterly stupid decision IMO, and we are the ones who have to keep answering for it.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

B.Goode

Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:22 pm

jamesh wrote:
I have no idea how to stop this question from reoccurring. The upstream maintainers made an utterly stupid decision IMO, and we are the ones who have to keep answering for it.

It won't stop the question recurring, but perhaps someone could give @mahjong some boilerplate text to add to the Common Pitfalls sticky - https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 91&t=83372

At least that way the question could be answered by posting a link rather than having to type (or find and paste) an explanation each time. And it might reinforce the idea that the forum is actually a resource that accumulates knowledge.

rpdom

Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:26 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:22 pm
jamesh wrote:

It won't stop the question recurring, but perhaps someone could give @mahjong some boilerplate text to add to the Common Pitfalls sticky - https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 91&t=83372

At least that way the question could be answered by posting a link rather than having to type (or find and paste) an explanation each time. And it might reinforce the idea that the forum is actually a resource that accumulates knowledge.
Well, there is an answer in the FAQs here https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... i-software "Why does cpuinfo report I have a BCM2835?", but you have to scroll down a bit to see it.

A more direct link would be handy for posting.

hippy

Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:41 pm

The question is going to keep occurring until /proc/cpuinfo, and anyting else, does not report information which appears to be wrong to the user.

If upstream won't fix it, downstream won't patch it; that's how it's inevitably going to be.

Return to “Beginners”