mushu999

RPi4 just arrived! Excitedly I open the box, and...

Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:59 am

First I see "Made in the UK" and I thought "woot! no chinese stuff!"

Then I take a nice deep smell (don't ask...)

_IGP4193 (Medium).jpeg
_IGP4193 (Medium).jpeg (187.38 KiB) Viewed 364 times

Finally I flip it over to admire the precise toolwork and sexy board etching, and this is what I see:

_IGP4194 (Medium).jpeg
_IGP4194 (Medium).jpeg (182.28 KiB) Viewed 364 times
_IGP4195 (Medium).jpeg
_IGP4195 (Medium).jpeg (145.15 KiB) Viewed 364 times

I wonder why they still put it in a box and sold it to someone. I'm assuming they had problems attaching the USB 3.0 ports and had to fix it manually? Should I be concerned about cold-solder joints or tracings getting melted? Plus, how can I prove that *I* wasn't the one that did this and that it came to me this way? I got it from Canakit out of Canada, if that means anything. I usually buy from Adafruit but they didn't have any in stock. Now I'm afraid to plug it in and start playing...

/sad

jbeale

Re: RPi4 just arrived! Excitedly I open the box, and...

Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:07 am

From what I can see in the photo, that does not look it would meet the IPC standards for PCB soldering that I remember.
I can't quite tell but if it's just flux residue, it might actually still work ok. If there is any solder bridging between pins, of course that is bad and will not work.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: RPi4 just arrived! Excitedly I open the box, and...

Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:23 am

OK, that's not OK, can you email [email protected] FAO James Hughes so I can arrange to get it returned to us. We will send you a replacement plus stuff to cover the postage.

Meanwhile, can you photo the QR code in more detail so we can track it's origin.

Thanks.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Return to “Beginners”