Involute

Using a desktop PC for Pi development

Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:36 pm

Noob here. I've had a Pi 1 and a Pi 2 which I basically just powered up and never did anything with because I didn't have an application in mind. Now I have an application, and a Pi 4, and I'm thinking more seriously about the mechanics of developing a Pi application.

I can hook up a separate monitor/keyboard/mouse, but that takes up a lot of space on my desk. I'd anticipated this with the previous Pis and tracked down an Atrix Lapdock (for my purposes, a nearly ideal solution) to address it, but I've never been able to get the Atrix to work with a Pi. Another solution would be to use my Windows 10 desktop's monitor/keyboard/mouse, and there seem to be several ways of doing this. Is there any one way that's considered best? Thanks for any tips and pointers to guides/tutorials.

trejan

Re: Using a desktop PC for Pi development

Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:39 pm

Use VNC + SSH to do everything over the network or buy a KVM to switch your keyboard/mouse/display between your PC and the RPi.

Andyroo

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:09 pm

I have a Samba share set up to the directory I am developing in and use Visual Studio Code to edit files in but save them on the Pi.

I then have a couple of ssh sessions (often with TMUX running) to execute the programs. If it’s a GUI that I need, then I’ll use VNC to do the testing or plug a screen etc it.

I’ve not tried a keyboard/video/mouse (KVM) switch - I would expect it to have to be an electronic on to work though.

I also have a VM with the Raspberry Pi Desktop for PC/Mac available if I need it.

The above is based on a Mac but I expect a P?c could do the same :lol:

W. H. Heydt

Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:33 am

Andyroo wrote:
I’ve not tried a keyboard/video/mouse (KVM) switch - I would expect it to have to be an electronic on to work though.
KVM switch come in a variety of configurations and ports. The one I connect Pis to is an Iomega "HD MiniView HD KVMP Switch HDMI". Newegg carries them... https://www.newegg.com/iogear-gcs1794-h ... 6817399048 Please note that I never claimed them to be inexpensive.

epoch1970

Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:15 am

trejan wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:39 pm
Use VNC + SSH to do everything over the network or buy a KVM to switch your keyboard/mouse/display between your PC and the RPi.
An USB serial console cable (GPIO on Pi’s side, USB on PC side) is another option. Text only, no graphical display.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

hippy

Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:14 pm

Andyroo wrote:
And often not cheap. I side-stepped the cost by having a separate Mouse/Keyboard switch and a separate HDMI switcher. If the PC has HDMI/VGA output and the monitor has HDMI(DVI)/VGA inputs, if happy with VGA from the PC, one can use the monitor to select between the two.

I built my own Mouse/Keyboard switch using a USB hub and a slide switch.

It is a bit more awkward to use than an commercial KVM but a lot cheaper.

ElEscalador

Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:48 pm

Realvnc. Preinstalled at least on the last couple versions. You can leave your pi at home and program/control your robot or whatever from the space station or anywhere else with internet.
Robotics tips, hacks, book extras https://youtube.com/practicalrobotics

Andyroo

Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:05 pm

ElEscalador wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:48 pm
Realvnc. Preinstalled at least on the last couple versions. You can leave your pi at home and program/control your robot or whatever from the space station or anywhere else with internet.
The ISS (last time I checked) crew only had a ‘home’ user 10Mb link - not bad BUT the latency delay was horrid and you would loose the mouse :lol: At the time they where also still running W2K :oops:

This was out of the 300Mbps down link the station had in total. Main issue was some of the ground stations could not cope with the faster speed...:lol:

I hope they got a free upgrade as the monthly cost would be a bit more that I would want to pay!

Beorn_Bear

Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:50 am

You will get a better respone time with a KVM over Realvnc. I find the Realvnc create more overhead and the Raspberry Pi does not react as fast with Realvnc.

Return to “Beginners”