KillerCroc

need simple instructions for omxplayer install (no internet access on pi)

Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:32 am

Hi there. I'm a beginner when it comes to the Pi, and I want to play MP4s on it.

I think omxplayer is the way to go, but the instructions I've read for installing it seem to direct the Pi to the internet for download. And the rest of the instructions assume some Pi proficiency (Pi-ficiency?) that I don't have yet. :P

Can someone give me step-by-step instructions on how to install? I know how to use a thumb drive, and I can get to the command prompt. That's about all I'm good for, lol. Thanks much in advance!

P.S. yes, I've tried running the omxplayer and looking for it; it's not there currently. :|

KillerCroc

Re: need simple instructions for omxplayer install (no internet access on pi)

Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:47 am

Still no luck on this. Mods, if it needs to be in a diff section, feel free to move it plz. :mrgreen:

W. H. Heydt

Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:03 am

There aren't going to be any simple instructions if the Pi doesn't have internet access. Out on the internet are where the software repositories are, so that's where you get the packages. There are ways to create a local repository (though at some point there still has to be internet access), but that is much more complex than just installing from the net.

klricks

Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:29 am

What OS are you running?
omxplayer is already installed by default in Raspbian Buster.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

rpdom

Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:12 am

klricks wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:29 am
What OS are you running?
omxplayer is already installed by default in Raspbian Buster.
It's not in Buster Lite. Maybe that is what the OP is running.

One option would be to download the .deb package for omxplayer, copy it to the Pi in question using a USB stick or something and use dpkg to install it. That would fail if any of the dependency packages are missing or old.

There are other ways to do it, but ideally it would be best to give the Pi internet access just for long enough to update and install the package.

KillerCroc

Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:47 pm

Thank you for the responses. I've settled on trying to get my internet going (seems like the easiest way to get omxplayer). However, that's not happening so far.

*Put in my ssid and psk in wifi settings
*edited /etc/network/interfaces so that iface eth0 inet is "dhcp" rather than "manual"

Also, plugging directly into a known-good hardline connection rather than wifi didn't get me internet.

Any ideas on what I should try next?

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:11 pm

KillerCroc wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:47 pm
Thank you for the responses. I've settled on trying to get my internet going (seems like the easiest way to get omxplayer). However, that's not happening so far.

*Put in my ssid and psk in wifi settings
*edited /etc/network/interfaces so that iface eth0 inet is "dhcp" rather than "manual"

Also, plugging directly into a known-good hardline connection rather than wifi didn't get me internet.

Any ideas on what I should try next?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... ess-cli.md
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

KillerCroc

Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:30 pm

Thank you for this!

So,
sudo raspi-config = no sign of any WiFi options or settings in the menu

sudo iwlist wlan0 scan = "scanning not supported"

Return to “Beginners”