pathos

Do I HAVE to use LibreOffice?

Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:12 am

So the last time I messed with Linux was about 2012 or 2013, and the Ubuntu I was using came with LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice and I remember it taking over my computer and being impossible to remove and spamming ads at me and just generally really hating it. So I've got a Pi 3 now and I'm wanting to put OpenOffice on it instead of LibreOffice, but everything I'm reading says OpenOffice won't run on the Pi's ARM processor. So is LibreOffice my only option here for a MS Office replacement? And has it gotten better in the last 5 years? >_>;;

klricks

Re: Do I HAVE to use LibreOffice?

Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:24 am

pathos wrote:
...... and I remember it taking over my computer and being impossible to remove and spamming ads at me and just generally really hating it.......... And has it gotten better in the last 5 years?
LibreOffice has never been like that. Likely you downloaded something else along with LO such as some kind of download manager............ Or did not download from the official LO web site........
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

LTolledo

Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:30 am

There were ads? :shock: really? :o
sample images please....

Do we have other choices instead of LibreOffice? :geek:

In the two years I've been using the RPi as desktop (RPi3B then to RPi3B+) I've never seen any ads on Libreoffice (mainly using Calc).
and that was before I installed PiHole. Am happy with it then, and still now. :D
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

W. H. Heydt

Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:04 am

I've been using LibreOffice on PCs for years and on Pis ever since they've had it and I've seen any ads associated with it.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:24 am

pathos wrote:
So the last time I messed with Linux was about 2012 or 2013, and the Ubuntu I was using came with LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice and I remember it taking over my computer and being impossible to remove and spamming ads at me and just generally really hating it. So I've got a Pi 3 now and I'm wanting to put OpenOffice on it instead of LibreOffice, but everything I'm reading says OpenOffice won't run on the Pi's ARM processor. So is LibreOffice my only option here for a MS Office replacement? And has it gotten better in the last 5 years? >_>;;

LibreOffice is not adware and is a perfectly acceptable Office Suite.

Though there are several web browser based "cloud" alternative Office Suites.
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

ghans

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:28 am

Did you install LibreOffice from the "app store" (package manager) ? Using package management makes installing software much safer and convenient, and also takes the Pis ARM CPU into account. The package manager on Raspbian is called APT. Incidentally, Ubuntu uses the same system because it is a descendant of Debian, too.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libreoffice
will install a version of LibreOffice which is guaranteed to be free of adware.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

davidcoton

Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:56 am

You don't HAVE to use anything on your Pi, but by turning down LibreOffice you reject the most cost-effective Office package available.

I've been using it for over ten years, replacing MSOffice completely (it will now read any MS format I throw at it).
I use it on Windoze and Ubuntu.
I use Writer (including complex forms), Calc (mainly accounts) and Impress, have also used Draw and Base occasionally.
I've never had an ad from OpenOffice or LibreOffice.

Weaknesses?
  • Generation of PDF from forms documents, I reported a bug, it was fixed, but later reverted (the third party workaround does do too much self-advertising).
  • Font compatibility between OSs .
Signature retired

LTolledo

Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:56 am

On this RPi3B+ desktop, with Raspbian Stretch Desktop version, am currently looking at an opened LibreOffice Calc...
its been opened for an hour now, me doing some spreadsheet stuff...
an hour before that, my piHole server was also "shutdown" (and power turned-off just to be sure) :|

I dont know if there is any "ad cloaking and de-cloaking algorithm" present in LibreOffice for Raspbian Stretch.... :?
I've been straining my eyes :shock: waiting for those ads to pop up as I work on the spreadsheets.....

do I need to wait a little longer just to see just 1 ad to pop up? :mrgreen:
anybody lucky? (screen capture please....)

Some people be like:

christopholous

Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:18 pm

I can recommend a light weight alternative to LibreOffice

Abiword - full featured word processor
gnumeric - full featured spreadsheet software

Both are very small and support modern formats and you will probably be able to accomplish all the same things on them.
Your mother is so fat, the recursive function computing her mass causes a stack overflow.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:11 pm

christopholous wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:18 pm
I can recommend a light weight alternative to LibreOffice

Abiword - full featured word processor
gnumeric - full featured spreadsheet software

Both are very small and support modern formats and you will probably be able to accomplish all the same things on them.
For text, there is also that good old workhorse: vi. My wife wrote an entire novel and about 20 short stories just using vi, the MS macro package, and nroff. Granted, the learning curve may be a bit steep and it isn't WYSIWYG, but it is light weight (especially in comparison to any "office suite") and very responsive even on a minimal Pi. Plus, unlike LibreOffice, it is a perfectly functional programming editor (which is my major use for it).

scruss

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:38 pm

Even if you could run OpenOffice, you wouldn't want to run it. LibreOffice is the community fork from Oracle's OpenOffice, and actually contains features that users might want. OpenOffice was missing useful functions for years that LibreOffice added quickly.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

christopholous

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:48 pm

My wife wrote an entire novel and about 20 short stories just using vi, the MS macro package, and nroff.
hard core :D
Your mother is so fat, the recursive function computing her mass causes a stack overflow.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:38 pm

christopholous wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:48 pm
My wife wrote an entire novel and about 20 short stories just using vi, the MS macro package, and nroff.
hard core :D
No...hard core is Lord Dunsany, who--well into the 1950s--submitted manuscripts written with a quill pen on foolscap paper. Of course, *he* could get away with that.

FYI..the first ever typed manuscript to be submitted for publication was by Samuel Clemens (aka Mark Twain). He hired a typist to transcribe his hand written manuscript.

LTolledo

Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:20 pm

Have some old WordStar and Quattro Pro programs still lying around....
I might try using those in Dosbox...in this RPi3B+ Desktop.....sometime this week.... just for fun.... :D

Some people be like:

scruss

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:45 pm

There's a really good chance that LibreOffice can read your Wordstar and Quattro Pro files: they have a remit to create filters for old file formats. Managed to get a friend's supposedly-lost PhD thesis back from old Mac floppies using some old hardware plus LibreOffice.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

Return to “Beginners”