Jomabhur

Can I get Clarification on How to use a 2 lead 5v fan on UNN Admission

Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:43 am

Hey My name is Jomabhuv, I am very new to all of this. I really need to know how to make use of my 2 lead 5v fan on Unn admission. I know many people do not require fans but it gets pretty toasty here in the desert and im cheap so the AC is still off at 90 degrees : .

I have a simple pc type 5v fan with 2 leads positive and negative, I am ok with it running all the time but my question would be if it is safe to connect it directly to the 3v or 5v and ground GPIO pins.

I have seen about half of the people say its perfectly safe and the other half say it could damage the pi.

So is it safe to do so and if so should i connect to the 3v or 5v

PS I am not worried about theoretically unsafe only verifiably unsafe from actual experience, i have attached a crappy picture of the fan (sorry device with good camera had to be charged)

IOTON

Re: Can I get Clarification on How to use a 2 lead 5v fan on UNN Admission

Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:28 pm

Depends of current consumption of your fan.

wildfire

Re: Can I get Clarification on How to use a 2 lead 5v fan on UNN Admission

Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:14 pm

Link looks dodgy to me unn-admissions-list-merit I'll leave for the mods to decide, in the mean time my personal advice, don't click on it.

EDIT: OK after further looking the link appears safe enough, (I still have some reservations) and apologies to the OP for raising suspicion.
NF

Return to “Beginners”