vol.2
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:17 pm

size of BCM2711

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:08 pm

Hi, I'm looking for a heatsink size for the raspberry pi 4. Can anyone tell me the exact size of the BCM2711? I'm looking for the perimeter of the surface area.
The pi4 mechanical drawing doesn't have this. The closest it comes is showing the center of the chip, but there is no way to infer the size of the chip from what is given.

Thanks,

User avatar
joan
Posts: 14847
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:09 pm
Location: UK

Re: size of BCM2711

Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:43 pm

The top is bevelled. The flat area is 10 mm by 10 mm (as close as I can measure).

vol.2
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:17 pm

Re: size of BCM2711

Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:34 pm

joan wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:43 pm
The top is bevelled. The flat area is 10 mm by 10 mm (as close as I can measure).
Thank you! :)

User avatar
IOTON
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:00 pm
Contact: Website

Re: size of BCM2711

Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:05 am

Image

vol.2
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:17 pm

Re: size of BCM2711

Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:41 pm

IOTON wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:05 am
Image
Sweet. Thank you. This is awesome. Very helpful and should totally be added to an official schematic.

webbsmurfen
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:22 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: size of BCM2711

Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:16 pm

Hmm... How about using a heatsink then? Is it enough to just cool of the top or do i need a special made one to cover the whole chip

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 5494
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: size of BCM2711

Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:29 pm

webbsmurfen wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:16 pm
Hmm... How about using a heatsink then? Is it enough to just cool of the top or do i need a special made one to cover the whole chip
The chip underneath will be smaller than the metal cap (smaller than even the raised area), so the heatsink only needs to make contact with the raised area of the metal cap.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

webbsmurfen
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:22 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: size of BCM2711

Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:57 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:29 pm
webbsmurfen wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:16 pm
Hmm... How about using a heatsink then? Is it enough to just cool of the top or do i need a special made one to cover the whole chip
The chip underneath will be smaller than the metal cap (smaller than even the raised area), so the heatsink only needs to make contact with the raised area of the metal cap.
Awesome! I think you just answered two of my questions, this one and another elseware :D Thanks

Return to “Beginners”