samui99

Newbie buying Pi - question about disk partition

Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:20 pm

Hi All

I am planning to buy a Pi as an Xmas present for an 11 year old and was planning to get one with a 16Gb preloaded Raspbian SD card so there is plenty of space for him to install new programmes if he wants.

However I have read that the image partition means that the full 16Gb space on the card will not be available. Is this correct and is there a way to get around this? I don't think either him or I will have the skill at first to be able to partition the SD card to get access to the full disk space.

One of the UK suppliers (thepihut) I have looked at does state the disk has an "auto extending partition to make full use of the card" although I was probably going to buy from another cheaper supplier.

Any advice please?

Thank you.

thedogstarman

Re: Newbie buying Pi - question about disk partition

Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:36 pm

Save the money and spend just a tiny bit of time setting it up. You'll thank yourself. There are a couple options to do this, and what helped me was this page:

http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setu ... terface.29

A little past halfway down there are steps to either manually resize it or build a separate data partition. Hope this helps!

rickseiden

Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:46 pm

First thing you can do when you log in is run:

sudo raspi-config

One of the options is to extend the partition (don't remember the exact wording). Then you reboot, and let it go for a while (5-10 minutes, maybe), and you'll have full use of the card.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Dweeber

Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:03 pm

I would be greatly tempted to not buy a preloaded SDcard however... Chances are whatever distro you are getting will be out of date by the time you get it and you will be upgrading the OS anyway.

It is relatively easy to download the images and write them to the SDcard yourself and you will have that knowledge then to do it again should the card get corrupt.

You can also save your self some hard earned dough by just buying the SDcard without the preloaded software which you can buy from many more available sources. Having a spare card is also a good thing in case something goes wrong and you need one.. much better than having to wait until you can go pick one up or get them delivered.

There are always other places you can spend your money.

You don't indicate where you are located but right now on Amazon US you can get an 16GB class 4 MicroSDHC with SDcard adapter for $6 ... hard not to pick up a couple for that price.

As rickseiden says, whatever size cards you use, part of the initial process is expanding to the full size of the SDcard since the distro images are for 2GB which won't be enough space to even do an upgrade with.

Update: the $6 deal on Amazon is gone now... and they are back up to around $11 but they drop to $9 on a very regular basis. I typically pickup 3-4 when they are down there as I have many uses for them. Ref: Amazon Link
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

Joe Schmoe

Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:16 pm

Dweeber wrote:You don't indicate where you are located but right now on Amazon US you can get an 16GB class 4 MicroSDHC with SDcard adapter for $6 ... hard not to pick up a couple for that price.
Are you sure about that? As it happens, I was just looking on Amazon last night for 16GB cards, and most were priced at 11 (or more) - free shipping. Clicking around a bit found one priced at 6, but (surprise! surprise!) the shipping was another 5. That's how they get ya!
Update: the $6 deal on Amazon is gone now... and they are back up to around $11 but they drop to $9 on a very regular basis. I typically pickup 3-4 when they are down there as I have many uses for them.
Oh, OK.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Dweeber

Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:21 pm

Thought I'd check after I had posted that... I bought 5 of them for $6ea the other day... Use Prime shipping they were there the next day even though I used the "Free" 2 day shipping. One of the perks of being in Phoenix with one of the big Amazon warehouses nearby. You can get somethings the same day if you pay the $3.99 delivery fee.

The price jumps around but they drop to $9 on a regular basis which makes them very inexpensive not to pick some up. As a MicroSD card, you can use them in phones and other devices. You can also put them into a USB thumb drive and image them where a notebook for example might have problems dealing with a full size SDcard. More options than just getting the full sized SDcards themselves.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

Return to “Beginners”