Nexure123

Raspberry Pi Upgrading.

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:37 pm

Hi, i don't own a raspberry pi yet. But i am about to buy one for a project i am working on. (Probably a RPI 3 B+)

As a perfectionist i wanted to see how i could improve my raspberry to make it work better.

Here's my question:
Can i add more ram?
Can i change the CPU?
Can i change the OS?
Which language is used for the I/O?

It would be great if you could answer this

B.Goode

Re: Raspberry Pi Upgrading.

Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:13 pm

No.
No.
Yes.
Most Programming Languages can be used to control the gpio pins.

rpdom

Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:50 am

The recommended language for programming the Pi is Python. (Many others can be used, but that is the one that has best support). There are a few libraries available for it to control the GPIO pins. WiringPi, pigpio and gpiozero. There are tutorials on the Raspberry Pi website that cover the basics. There are also code examples in the MagPi magazine, which can be bought in printed form, or downloaded for free in pdf form.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:09 am

Welcome to the forums.
Nexure123 wrote:
Hi, i don't own a raspberry pi yet. But i am about to buy one for a project i am working on. (Probably a RPI 3 B+)

As a perfectionist i wanted to see how i could improve my raspberry to make it work better.

Here's my question:
Can i add more ram?
Because the memory interface is part of the VC4 GPU, the is no way to address more than the 1GB RAM that a Pi3B+ comes with. Even if you wanted to replace the RAM package, you'd need to be able to do reflow soldering as it is put on the board as a ball grid array (BGA) connection. this is not a process you are likely to be familiar with, have the equipment to do, nor the experience to pull it off. Hence the short answer is: No.
Can i change the CPU?
The Pi doesn't have a CPU the way you think of it. That big package on the top of the board is a "System on a Chip" (SOC) and comprises both the graphics processor (VC4) and 4 CPU cores (ARM Cortex-A53). The whole package is a Broadcom BCM2837B0. Broadcom doesn't sell their SoCs in small quantities (where "small" is less than 100s of thousands per year). The only other SoC than the '2837B0 could be replaced with would be the BCM2837A0, which is found on the Pi3B. As above, the physical replacement process is complex and requires special equipment and skills. So, again, the short answer is: No.
Can i change the OS?
The OS and all associated programs and files normally resides on a micro-SD card, but it can partly or completely reside on other attached media, such as USB sticks, SSDs, or HDDs. There are several OSes that have been compiled to run on Pis. Most OSes that run on Pis are versions of Linux, but there are a couple that aren't. It is recommended that you start with Raspbian, which is the OS maintained and supported by the Raspberry Pi Foundation and is specially tuned to run well on Pis. Many people never run anything else. Note that NONE of the OSes that will run on a Pi are the desktop versions of MS Windows. So, here, the short answer is: Yes.
That depends on just how much work you are able to and want to do. As noted, there are libraries set up for Python. There are also libraries set up for Scratch. As is typical of unix/Linux systems, C is available. Many other languages are available.

It would be great if you could answer this
[/quote]

hippy

Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:44 pm

Can i add more ram?

Not in any generally useful way, not in the way you are probably hoping for.

Can i change the CPU?

Not practically, not easily, and it wouldn't be sensible to do so.

Can i change the OS?

Yes. You can even create your own. But the OS has to be capable of running on a Pi unless you want to run it using emulation which is generally impractical and too slow to be of much use.

Almost any. In fact it might be a struggle to find one which doesn't allow I/O access.

LTolledo

Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:44 pm

Nexure123 wrote:
This would have to be "binary language"....

Aside from the ones you listed, there are some "cool upgrades" for the RPi, but not directly to the board itself.
I've deployed several already....

Can you enlighten us on the project you have in mind?
As a perfectionist and depending on that project the RPi may or may not be for you.....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:40 pm

And the answer is in. You're looking for the 4GB version of the Pi4B. (See today's blog post.) If the Pi4B doesn't have what you're looking for, one possibility is to wait for the Pi5B...which should be along in the next 2 to 5 years. (My crystal ball is pretty hazy.)

A comment on the "perfectionist" point...

What you're asking for has nothing to do with being a "perfectionist". It has everything to do with wanting a product to have the exact and specific features you're looking for. A Raspberry Pi is what it is. What you see *is* what you get. There are people who chop bits off here and there, but with one exception that I know of, no one *adds* anything permanently to a Pi. (The exception involves the amount of eMMC flash storage on a CM3, and that effort is now moot for anything that isn't over 32GB, thanks the the CM3+ boards.)

wildfire

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:39 am

Nexure123 wrote:
Hope you haven't bought that 3B+ yet. :D

All the replies you've received are valid, when you buy a Pi you get what's in the box. Anything on the board is fixed and cannot be upgraded (even replacing like for like eg for repairs could be difficult).
NF

Return to “Beginners”