Solitude

Powering a raspberry pi 3 b+ with batteries

Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:13 am

Hi, I am relatively new to raspberry and I need my raspberry to run on batteries for a project Im working on. After looking online for solutions I found many different batteries that run on different voltages with a variety of additional boards, if anybody could give me an explanation about the differences or just a link to a know good product, that would be fantastic.

LTolledo

Re: Powering a raspberry pi 3 b+ with batteries

Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:44 pm

There have been lots of discussions of battery powered RPis here in the forum.

just type "batteries" in the Forum Search box above and am pretty sure you'll get lots of hits....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

W. H. Heydt

Re: Powering a raspberry pi 3 b+ with batteries

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:36 am

Solitude wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:13 am
Hi, I am relatively new to raspberry and I need my raspberry to run on batteries for a project Im working on. After looking online for solutions I found many different batteries that run on different voltages with a variety of additional boards, if anybody could give me an explanation about the differences or just a link to a know good product, that would be fantastic.
Short version.... The Pi wants a steady 5v at up to 2.5A. There are no 5v batteries that I know of, so you will need a voltage converter from whatever the battery puts out to the 5v the Pi requires. Some battery systems (such as "powerbanks") have the voltage conversion built into the battery case. Nominal battery voltage (voltage goes down as the battery discharges) is determined by the cell chemistry and the number of cells.

Return to “Beginners”