Matt35

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ is SUPER slow

Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:51 pm

Hey !
Total newbie here.
I've just purchased and installed a raspberry pi 3 and the damn thing is not usable
Loading a single page take 3 minutes, youtube videos stutter and stop then restart and restop, it freezes whenever I do a single thing
Is there some sort of tweaking needed ?
Of course I updated Raspbian

Maybe it's because of the hardware :
I installed and I boot Raspbian via USB (16go Kingston), I have no SD card in there

Should I buy a good SD card or a better USB key?

In advance, many thanks

(sorry for bad english, not a native)

neilgl

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ is SUPER slow

Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:38 pm

I would get a micro SD card and install raspbian on that.
On my pi3 I can watch YouTube no problem e.g. Black Sabbath Snowblind.

LTolledo

Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:23 pm

since you already got your RPi3B+ booting from USB drive....

try enabling the swap file, and set it to 1024MB...

at the moment am posting this on a RPi3B+ , in Chromium with 6 tabs open (am able to open more without problems)
and watched YouTube videos on this RPi3B+ for almost 10 hours yesterday.... and the videos played nicely....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

HawaiianPi

Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:06 am

Try it with an "A1" performance rated micro SD card, like the SanDisk Ultra A1 series. It should be much faster than a typical USB flash drive. And don't bother adding swap, as suggested above, that will not make your Pi faster.

What are you using for a power supply?

Post the output of the following commands:

Code: Select all

cat /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/model;echo

vcgencmd get_throttled
In general, though, the Raspberry Pi is not a fast computer. I'm not sure where people are getting the impression it is? Personally, I could never use one as a primary computer (although there are a few here on these forums who do use a Pi as their daily driver). Raspberry Pi computers are great for a lot of things, but a general purpose desktop computer is not one of them.

However, the performance you seem to be getting is worse than expected, and that could be due to the USB flash drive you are booting from (and possibly an inadequate power supply). Booting from an "A1" rated micro SD card will help with OS speed and responsiveness.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Matt35

Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:41 pm

Thank you all for the advices !

I'm not really sure for the power supply but I have something like "40 A, 30 mA, 240V" written
And for the commands output :
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus Rev 1.3
throttled=0x0

I know it's not a power computer, my main goal is just getting one smooth tab of youtube or have spotify on it

So, if I get https://www.amazon.fr/microSDXC-SanDisk ... B073JYVKNX this and boot Raspbian from it, it should resolve my issue ?

wildfire

Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:13 pm

I have a couple of 3B+'s, one with codec licences the other without.

How about giving us a link to you tube that stutters for you.
Shirley McGregor, (1966-2019). Always remembered. Look after Bonny Conny for me Hon. RIP.

Matt35

Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:22 pm

It's not necessarily a problem with youtube, it's chromium pages, it takes forever to open one, one scroll down usually ends up in a freeze (like this forum for example), it feels like I don't have enough RAM, like if I had 40 opened tabs on my desktop computer

wildfire

Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:35 pm

OK, can't help you there. I don't use the over bloated chromium browser. With my Pi's I use firefox.
Shirley McGregor, (1966-2019). Always remembered. Look after Bonny Conny for me Hon. RIP.

Hanicef

Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:21 pm

Matt35 wrote:
it feels like I don't have enough RAM, like if I had 40 opened tabs on my desktop computer
Try running

sudo sysctl vm.swappiness=10
in the command line and see if that helps.

Usually, Linux is trigger-happy with swapping. It is sometimes willing to swap even with plenty of RAM left. The command above lowers the swapping threshold, causing it to only swap when the RAM is running out.

This only lasts for the current session. If you want to make it permanent, create 99-sysctl.conf in /etc/sysctl.d and input the following code in it:

vm.swappiness=10

neilgl

Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:36 pm

Yes that 64GB micro SD card should work fine.

HawaiianPi

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:30 am

Matt35 wrote:
So, if I get https://www.amazon.fr/microSDXC-SanDisk ... B073JYVKNX this and boot Raspbian from it, it should resolve my issue ?
If your issue is OS/filesystem performance, then yes. If it's RAM or CPU related, then no.

How many tabs do you have open?

LTolledo

Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:59 am

May I suggest SSD drive and SATA to USB adaptor combo instead?

its what I use in my RPi3B+ desktop and in another RPi3B desktop. Tried overloading the RPi3B+ with (I think it was) 20tabs in Chromium, plus other apps running in the background. still the response was pretty slick....

My PiTop RPi3B uses mSATA as boot drive. same use-case as the 2 above...

Some people be like:

Matt35

Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:37 pm

Hanicef wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:21 pm
Matt35 wrote:
it feels like I don't have enough RAM, like if I had 40 opened tabs on my desktop computer
Try running

sudo sysctl vm.swappiness=10
in the command line and see if that helps.

Usually, Linux is trigger-happy with swapping. It is sometimes willing to swap even with plenty of RAM left. The command above lowers the swapping threshold, causing it to only swap when the RAM is running out.

This only lasts for the current session. If you want to make it permanent, create 99-sysctl.conf in /etc/sysctl.d and input the following code in it:

vm.swappiness=10
It did not help, the issue must come from my USB key

Just loading a chromium page with google takes like 2 whole minutes

What gear do you suggest LTolledo ? SSD must be expensive

Matt35

Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:38 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:30 am
Matt35 wrote:
If your issue is OS/filesystem performance, then yes. If it's RAM or CPU related, then no.

How many tabs do you have open?
Only one, I'm just opening one chromium page and CPU or RAM gets to 100%

LTolledo

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:29 pm

My RPi3B uses cheapo Sunbow 60GB SSD and Eluteng "Blue" SATA to USB 3.0 adapter

The RPi3B+ has Crucial BX500 120GB SSD and Inateck UA1003 SATA to USB 3.0 adapter

As the prices of SSD has gone down, with prices sometimes not much different compared with microSD cards, its better to get the SSD rather than microSD cards.
Have a look at your favorite online store for further details.

Attached some pictures of RPi desktop on SSD
myRPi3B+Desktop.jpg
myRPi3B+Desktop.jpg (104.01 KiB) Viewed 646 times
RPi3B+overRealVNConRPi3B.jpg
RPi3B+overRealVNConRPi3B.jpg (95.32 KiB) Viewed 646 times

Some people be like:

Matt35

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:26 pm

That config costs like 10 more bucks, but I guess it's for the better, I'll keep that topic updated when I get these items, thanks a bunch

HawaiianPi

Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:19 am

Right now 128GB SSD prices are similar to A1 performance rated micro SD cards (possibly even a bit less), and in larger sizes the SSD will often be cheaper. You do need to find a USB-SATA adapter cable or enclosure that is compatible with the Raspberry Pi boot-loader, and that has been problematic for some people.

Since you don't have your location in your profile I don't know if my recommendations will help, but the one that worked best for me was the older 6-inch Eluteng adapter cable with the black SATA connector.
Unfortunately that was replaced by a newer model with a blue SATA connector that I do not recommend, because it was not 100% reliable for booting and rebooting a Pi3 from SSD.

However, there is another company named TNP that seems to have a generic version of the old Eluteng black adapter cable on Amazon USA (TNP USB 3.0 to SATA Adapter Cable ). Other than the lack of Eluteng branding, it's exactly the same adapter, as far as I can tell, and it's been working great for me.

Note that booting from a USB drive will be slower than booting from an A1 rated micro SD card, but once the system is up and running the higher IOPS of the SSD should offer better performance. It's still not going to make a Raspberry Pi a "fast" computer, but it will reduce OS and file system lag to make it feel more responsive.

In the end it all comes down to how patent you are. For me, even an SSD booted Pi 3B+ is far too slow to use as a daily driver. Most inexpensive Chromebooks will handily outperform a Raspberry Pi 3B(+). My mid-tier HP X2 Chromebook completely blows my 3B+ away, and even rivals my Win10 gaming laptop for most normal day to day tasks (other than demanding games, of course), and the battery life is outstanding!

LTolledo

Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:04 am

As I have posted previously I've been booting my RPi3B using a cheap 60GB SSD paired with the Eluteng "Blue" SATA to USB adaptor, and been using that for the last 3 months. Its the only one in my setups with that connection configuration.
No problems so far.

As what HawaiianPi mentioned in other earlier post (on another thread), it could be the combination of SSD firmware, SATA cable chipset and firmware, and PSU.

Maybe I was just lucky with my combination. ;)
Might try pairing it with the Crucial BX500 SSD on the RPi3B+ and see what happens....

I liked the Eluteng Blue due to the not-so-bright indicator lights it has, used it mainly for connecting HDD data drives to my RPiNAS.

Some people be like:

bensimmo

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:34 am

All sounds bulky and complicated with SSD :-) it's the USB drive, even slow uSD cards are not that bad.

With a simple small and compact uSD Samsung Evo or SanDisk A1 or similar A1 rated card, the 3B+ is perfectly usable. It'll boot up faster than you can blink.

Install Raspbian directly using the Etcher or similar guide on the main site, don't use NOOBS if that what you have already tried ( main difference is easier updates in future and a quicker boot sequence).

*My hints and tips*
Never log in or sync Chrome unless you have a Pi specific login.
Or you can select what you want to sync first.
Try Vivaldi and enable background hibernation of tabs and stop looping of pictures.
Some pages will never work quickly, Google Mail, Drive, Office, Facebook.
Look for the mobile version/low bandwidth options if you can.
Have fun and report back.

HawaiianPi

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:01 am

LTolledo wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:04 am
As what HawaiianPi mentioned in other earlier post (on another thread), it could be the combination of SSD firmware, SATA cable chipset and firmware, and PSU.

Maybe I was just lucky with my combination. ;)
Maybe, but if it's picky about combinations, I still would not recommend it. The great thing about the old black Eluteng adapter is that it worked with every drive I tested it with, and I tested a lot of different drives (both HDD and SSD).

Maybe I'll take another look at the blue Eluteng adapter and try it with some other drives. After it was unreliable with the first drive I tried, I didn't test it further. Although in my defense, it was a frustrating and time consuming test, because it seemed to work at first, and would sometimes work for extended periods before unexpectedly failing to boot or reboot. I do prefer the design of the blue adapter cable with the power and activity LED, so I really wanted it to work.

I do agree with the sentiment above, though. A1 performance rated micro SD cards are good enough for most things, and they just work. They are significantly faster than standard Class-10 cards, and the performance improvement from a standard SD card to an A1 card is more than the next level up to an SSD. So for people with modest storage needs, I recommend an A1 rated micro SD card.

For people who need large capacity storage an SSD starts to make sense, because large micro SD cards can get pretty expensive, so SSD can cost less and improve performance a bit. Other areas where it may benefit would be for coding, database or content creation. Anything that does a lot of reading and writing to the file system. Small differences in performance become much more noticeable when you're banging on the file system for an extended period of time.

LTolledo

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:42 pm

@HawaiianPi
am interested on the setup that "frustrated" you with the Eluteng Blue SATA to USB3.0 adapter.
what HDD/SSD maker/model number did you pair it to.
as it got me curious and might want to "replicate" the setup (if I have the same HDD/SSD in my stock)......that is if you dont mind.....

...am now on my second day (with about 4 cold boots, 3 reboots, and 3 poweroff-shutdowns) on this SSD-boot RPi3B+ "daily driver" setup, using the Crucial BX500 120GB SSD and Eluteng Blue adapter.
...no problems so far... working just as well as if am using the Inateck UA1003 cable....

Some people be like:

Return to “Beginners”