Nytician

Remove Network Features @ Software Level (Raspian)

Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:56 pm

Basically my goal is to develop a personal mini pc/retro console. Now I’m not planning to buy a 3 or above, just a simple one. I’m wanting to create a SD card with a custom version of Raspian WITHOUT any ability for network features, like WiFi dongles etc... is this possible? To clarify the goal is not to just turn it off but to fully remove the package/kernal or whatever it’s called! Appreciate any responses I get, thanks!

DougieLawson

Re: Remove Network Features @ Software Level (Raspian)

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:50 pm

What do you think you'll achieve by doing that?

You can delete any /lib/modules/**/net drivers but it's going to be disappointing when you find you want to connect to a network later.

I really can't see the point in crippling the OS in that way for a perceived threat that doesn't exist.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

hippy

Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:33 pm

Maybe get a "retro-Pi" for your retro console; an original Zero, A or A+. That way there will be no wireless or wired networking for anything to use.

Nytician

Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:34 pm

Ok well worse can scenario I want it back I reinstall the OS. So I can delete the network libs? And the original PI’s have no Ethernet too? That’s interesting. On a side but related note can I edit what’s installed on the OS via the SD card say on a PC? Basically is there a piece of software for windows that would allow me to get all the apps I want for Raspian before I even put the card into the PI? Hope that makes sense, thanks for your repi’s haha...

Nyt.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:56 pm

Nytician wrote:
Ok well worse can scenario I want it back I reinstall the OS. So I can delete the network libs? And the original PI’s have no Ethernet too? That’s interesting. On a side but related note can I edit what’s installed on the OS via the SD card say on a PC? Basically is there a piece of software for windows that would allow me to get all the apps I want for Raspian before I even put the card into the PI? Hope that makes sense, thanks for your repi’s haha...

Nyt.
The original Pi B did have ethernet, but no wireless.

If you are happy recompiling the kernel, you can simply remove the networking features from it, and no-one would be able to re-enable simply by returning the modules.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

B.Goode

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:01 pm

Nytician wrote:

Nyt.

"And the original PI’s have no Ethernet too? That’s interesting. "

But not strictly correct. And not what was written.

The first release of the PiZero was several years after the original Pi, late in 2015.

The 'original Pi' (Raspberry Pi 1 Model B) from Feb 2012 did have built in Ethernet.

The Raspberry Pi 1 Model A, with no Ethernet, came a year later in 2013.

"Basically is there a piece of software for windows that would allow me to get all the apps I want for Raspian before I even put the card into the PI? "

No. You can get software add-ons for Windows to read/write Linux ext4 filesystems, but that doesn't make it possible to install additional apps.

Return to “Beginners”