bobbyisrad

Is this any different than the Linux I've used for years?

Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:35 pm

I plan on using the Pi as a headless server for my home network. So I will be using the CLI 99% of the time. Is this the same Debian Linux that I already know? Are there any changes or gotchas that are specific to the raspberry distro/hardware? Thanks!

azeam

Re: Is this any different than the Linux I've used for years

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:09 am

Well, the big difference between the RPi and a "normal" Linux computer is that the RPi has an ARMv6 cpu, therefore some applications won't run (yet) on the RPi. The raspbian repository is huge though and pretty much everything that you will find in a regular Debian distro works just fine. The USB limitations can be good to keep in mind and the cpu isn't very fast. The boot process is different from a computer with BIOS as well. But the short answer, at least for me, is yes - it's the same Debian Linux that you already know.

pluggy

Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:50 am

If you're staying within the constraints of the SOC and open source stuff. Yes its exactly like 'PC' debian at the command line. Its a slow processor and the USB implementation leaves a bit to be desired, but it is Debian and almost everything works as Debian. If you're a BASH junkie, you'll be right at home......
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

ski522

Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:38 pm

pluggy wrote: the USB implementation leaves a bit to be desired
Leaves a lot to be desired in my book! But I know they are working on the USB drivers...otherwise as others have said you'll be at home with CLI...it's Debian, just on an ARM cpu.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:53 pm

pluggy wrote:If you're staying within the constraints of the SOC and open source stuff. Yes its exactly like 'PC' debian at the command line. Its a slow processor and the USB implementation leaves a bit to be desired, but it is Debian and almost everything works as Debian. If you're a BASH junkie, you'll be right at home......
Pluggy, do you have to mention the USB in EVERY post?? Note to others - the vast majority of people should not see USB issues now. And we are actively looking at the remaining issues, which should give a 10 folder decrease in issues over what has already been done.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

notarat

Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:01 pm

jamesh wrote:
pluggy wrote:If you're staying within the constraints of the SOC and open source stuff. Yes its exactly like 'PC' debian at the command line. Its a slow processor and the USB implementation leaves a bit to be desired, but it is Debian and almost everything works as Debian. If you're a BASH junkie, you'll be right at home......
Pluggy, do you have to mention the USB in EVERY post?? Note to others - the vast majority of people should not see USB issues now. And we are actively looking at the remaining issues, which should give a 10 folder decrease in issues over what has already been done.

Wow. A "10 folder decrease", huh? Fewer folders is always a good thing, I guess. :twisted:

pluggy

Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:59 pm

jamesh wrote:
A tad tetchy about it James ? IMO, the USB is the Pi's biggest problem. If you care to look back through my posts, I've done 5 between this one and the last one in this thread and none of them mention USB so I refute your claim I mention USB in every post. Granted I mention it in quite a few.

In my defence I have stated on more than one occasion that the USB situation has improved hugely since I first got a Pi. Much of my stuff I had issues with at the start now work satisfactorily. If the Pi sucked that much I wouldn't have bought 3 of 'em.

When my webcams and some other USB stuff work as well on the Pi as they do on my numerous other Linux boxes , I'll shut up about USB. I'm typing this on a Linux box with a keyboard the Pi won't entertain.

bobbyisrad

Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:28 pm

After working with it all day, I really haven't noticed any difference between this and other versions of Linux. My DHCP/DNS/syslog server installs all went just fine. I like this thing.

jamesh

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:43 am

pluggy wrote:
jamesh wrote:
A tad tetchy about it James ? IMO, the USB is the Pi's biggest problem. If you care to look back through my posts, I've done 5 between this one and the last one in this thread and none of them mention USB so I refute your claim I mention USB in every post. Granted I mention it in quite a few.

In my defence I have stated on more than one occasion that the USB situation has improved hugely since I first got a Pi. Much of my stuff I had issues with at the start now work satisfactorily. If the Pi sucked that much I wouldn't have bought 3 of 'em.

When my webcams and some other USB stuff work as well on the Pi as they do on my numerous other Linux boxes , I'll shut up about USB. I'm typing this on a Linux box with a keyboard the Pi won't entertain.
Tetchy? Yes. You are putting off potential purchasers with incomplete or out of date facts. That's why there is a level of tetchiness - you comments directly effect the uptake of the Raspi. We know there are remaining USB issues, but for the majority of people this will not be a problem. Do you put that in your posts? No, you just say the USB is shakey with no explanation. You are warning off people for whom the problem may never exist. That's not fair.

I don't read every post btw, we get quite a few, but I have noticed you mentioning the USB in many of them - the fact I have noticed means they must stand out. And note that even if you keep mentioning any USB issues in every post you make, it won't speed up the fixes! So really, it's completely unnecessary.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

pluggy

Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:30 pm

Prior to this thread It was the 14th of November I last mentioned the 'U' acronym, prior to that it was the 8th of November. Maybe my posts only flag in your psyche if I mention said 'U' acronym ?. I probably make more positive noises about the Pi than I do negative. Even this one was a positive post with negative undertones.

Dear Noob, thinking of buying a Pi ?, go for it, they're fabulous. I have 3.

jamesh

Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:46 pm

pluggy wrote:Prior to this thread It was the 14th of November I last mentioned the 'U' acronym, prior to that it was the 8th of November. Maybe my posts only flag in your psyche if I mention said 'U' acronym ?. I probably make more positive noises about the Pi than I do negative. Even this one was a positive post with negative undertones.

Dear Noob, thinking of buying a Pi ?, go for it, they're fabulous. I have 3.
Much better.

Return to “Beginners”