DanielWS

Downloading Noobs or Raspbian.

Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:03 pm

For about 5 hours I've been trying to download Noobs. According to my estimate I have about 40 hours yet to go. I never have any problem downloading files but Noobs download fails about every minute so have to click retry.

I suppose I need to buy an SD card preloaded with Noobs or Raspbian for my 3 B+. Any recommendations on a source?

B.Goode

Re: Downloading Noobs or Raspbian.

Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:29 pm

DanielWS wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:03 pm

I suppose I need to buy an SD card preloaded with Noobs or Raspbian for my 3 B+. Any recommendations on a source?

The Raspberry Pi Foundation download servers are usually well-resourced, reliable and responsive.

However, usefully recommending a source for a pre-loaded card might depend on knowledge of which part of the globe you are living in.

(Be aware that pre-loaded cards cannot be relied upon to contain the most recent or current releases of the bundled Operating Systems. You might want to check with your potential supplier, or specify this as a condition of your order.)

procount

Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:44 pm

As B.Goode says, the RPF servers are pretty reliable, so it may just be a temporary problem.

As an alternative you can try my PINN alternative to NOOBS (see my sig. for details and download from https://sourceforge.net/projects/pinn/f ... p/download). You could always replace it with NOOBS later on if you prefer (provided you don't overwrite recovery.cmdline, because that will wipe out any installed OSes).
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

HawaiianPi

Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:56 pm

Another alternative is to use the torrents with a Bittorrent client. I have one of my single board computers configured as a torrent server which I use for downloading and seeding my favorite open source software and Linux distros (I seed Raspbian & NOOBS 24/7).

But in your case you don't need to do anything as elaborate. Just get a Bittorrent client for whatever OS your main PC runs and download the torrent files for Raspbian or NOOBS (they are tiny, so even with connection speed problems it should download quickly).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “Beginners”