creative-2008

Won't boot (have read sticky)

Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:33 am

After swapping SD cards to try out a fresh install my Pi 3B+ will not boot from either the original (working) SD or the newer SD which I've just flashed the latest image onto using Etcher.

It doesn't matter whether there is an SD card present or not, the red power light comes on but the green ACT light does nothing.

I have the official power cable, which has worked perfectly all along even when also powering external USB drives. I have tested the Pi with two other power sources also, and have the same thing. Since reading the sticky post this morning I feel confident that it couldn't be a power issue anyway because the red light comes on and stays on.

I have reflashed the image again using Etcher and still nothing.

At the weekend I am going to borrow a friend's Pi and test my SD cards in that.

Does anyone have any suggestions in the mean time?

creative-2008

Re: Won't boot (have read sticky)

Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:36 am

Also, just to say that I don't have a power meter to test the board with. If I can get my hands on one I'll give it a go, but for the cost of buying one I feel better off just replacing the Pi.

pcmanbob

Re: Won't boot (have read sticky)

Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:14 am

So if you don't have a volt meter to test for the presence of the 3.3v you can do a basic test using a red LED and a 470 ohm resistor ,
you just need to connect it like this

now you can have the LED round the wrong way which means it will not light up even if 3.3v is present , but if you test it with the LED connected both ways round then you can be sure you have done the test.

If you are going to continue with pi project that include using the gpio a cheap digital multi meter would be invaluable, like the DT830B or XL-830L would be fine for low voltage work which is all you need for working on a pi, both can be had from online sellers for for under £10
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

Return to “Beginners”