Jondedy

A pictureframe for my grandma

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:33 pm

Hey there guys!

I am completely new to the Raspberry Pi, and kinda new to Linux. Have tried Ubuntu a couple of times throughout the years and that's about it, never did anything with coding in any kind of Linux.

My idea was to build a digital pictureframe for my 89 year-old grandma. A really basic one to be exact. I searched for a long time on the web but couldn't find anything that came close to what I want.

I want a system that boots up into showing a full screen slideshow of the pictures I put on the internal (Micro) SD-Card. There should be no need for Wi-Fi or any other form of networking since my grandma does not have any form of network connectivity.

The final idea:

A 22 inch pictureframe with a nice wooden case that she can hang up or put down somewhere. One that she can see with her bad eyes and can store a lot of pictures of her daughter, grand sons and recently born great grand son. :)

Thanks for reading and I hope someone can help me out :D

Systems at hand:
Raspberry Pi 3B+
Raspberry Pi Zero
Normal Windows computer
My systems:

Dell Optiplex 990 i5-2500 / 14GB DDR3 / RX580 / 500GB SSD
Raspberry Pi 3B+
Raspberry Pi Zero

W. H. Heydt

Re: A pictureframe for my grandma

Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:13 am

Look up the program "fbi" (frame buffer image). You can run it easily on a Pi0. You don't need Xwindows running, so it can be Raspbian Lite. It will run images in sequence or randomly. You can set the timing between successive images. It can either switch images or fade from one to the next. No actual programming (beyond setting up a crontab entry) needed on your part.

rpdom

Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:51 am

The screen might be an issue, unless you get a 22" HDMI TV or monitor and rehouse it in a wooden frame with adequate electrical insulation and ventilation. A Pi Zero would easily handle the rest.

Jondedy

Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:12 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Look up the program "fbi" (frame buffer image). You can run it easily on a Pi0. You don't need Xwindows running, so it can be Raspbian Lite. It will run images in sequence or randomly. You can set the timing between successive images. It can either switch images or fade from one to the next. No actual programming (beyond setting up a crontab entry) needed on your part.
Thank you very much! I will look into it right now :D
My systems:

Raspberry Pi 3B+
Raspberry Pi Zero

Jondedy

Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:14 am

rpdom wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:51 am
The screen might be an issue, unless you get a 22" HDMI TV or monitor and rehouse it in a wooden frame with adequate electrical insulation and ventilation. A Pi Zero would easily handle the rest.
Yeah, I did not plan to close the case entirely on the back, since the back will showing only to the wall behind it :) And the Pi0 will be mounted in it's little case somewhere conveniant. But first I wanted to figure out the software before going on to the hardware :D
My systems:

Raspberry Pi 3B+
Raspberry Pi Zero

Jondedy

Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:39 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Hey there! I set it all up and it seems to be working great, only some errors that I will have to figure out later, but that will work out I think :)

I was wondering. Is there a way to turn off the file details at the bottom of the screen? I am using the following command, also in the boot files:

Code: Select all

fim /home/pi/foto --slideshow 15
Is there something I can add so that it not shows the image details at the bottom of the screen? I can't find anything about it :)
My systems:

Raspberry Pi 3B+
Raspberry Pi Zero

W. H. Heydt

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:59 pm

Jondedy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:39 pm
I was wondering. Is there a way to turn off the file details at the bottom of the screen? I am using the following command, also in the boot files:

Code: Select all

fim /home/pi/foto --slideshow 15
Is there something I can add so that it not shows the image details at the bottom of the screen? I can't find anything about it :)
I haven't set fbi up in a while, but as I recall there is an option not to show that data. It's all in the man page (man fbi).

Return to “Beginners”