RDS

WiFi - Hot Spot Access

Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:42 pm

The latest Issue (82) of the MagPi magazine features an article, starting on Page 38 with details about how to build a Pi Keyring.
On Page 41 of the same article, there is mention of using the Pi to create a Hotspot.

I am a regular and very satisfied user of VNC at home (both from a Windows PC and an Android phone) but someone please confirm that the article does mean that (In my words) a Pi can be used where there is no internet and can be used to create a WiFi Hot Spot that I could log into from an Android Phone and therefore access and Program the Pi.

The application I have in mind for this is to be able to use the Pi in a Caravan where it will, for example, be used to monitor the water level in our Fresh Water tank and provide warnings of a low water level. I am able to construct the necessary electronics for the sensing and indication but I am not sure I have understood the article correctly regarding the WiFi Hotspot.

RattusRattus

Re: WiFi - Hot Spot Access

Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:14 pm

*IF* I have understood you correctly you are asking:

Can I use a Pi as a a WiFi ACCESS POINT (Hot Spot) even if the Pi itself can not see or access the internet.

YES

Obviously when accessing this 'HotSpot' from a laptop, mobile phone etc. the only thing you will be able to communicate with will be the Pi itself

/Rattus

RDS

Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:17 pm

Thank you. That is exactly what I was hoping for.

YitEarp

Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:57 am

RDS wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:17 pm
Thank you. That is exactly what I was hoping for.
Super easy to do too

https://thepi.io/how-to-use-your-raspbe ... ess-point/

Beware though if you use something like PiHole it kills the AP i think its to do with taking over dnsmasq never really looked into it but after awhile i noticed it was no longer active (I hadn't actually used it in awhile)

RDS

Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:24 pm

@YitEarp
Thank you, I had not seen that article before.

Come to think of it, I am not sure though how to access the Pi Headless, although I hope I can still use VNC.

YitEarp

Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:22 am

RDS wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:24 pm
@YitEarp
Thank you, I had not seen that article before.

Come to think of it, I am not sure though how to access the Pi Headless, although I hope I can still use VNC.
Yeah you can do it via VNC all you need is terminal. However i would recommend using the GUI straight from HDMI of the RasPi if you have access to it as VNC can be a little slow in some cases

RDS

Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:33 pm

Thanks but there will be no Physical access to the Pi, in the application I have planned. VNC is essential and I use it daily on 4 other Pi's and it is extremely good in my opinion.

Return to “Beginners”