darkpenguin

Where are the DTBs for Raspbian kernels?

Fri May 24, 2019 6:40 pm

I wanted to replace the default kernel provided by the Raspberry Pi Foundation (raspberrypi-kernel) with one of the Raspbian kernels (linux-image-rpi*). I noticed that the DTBs and overlays are gone (/boot/overlay and /boot/*.dtb). Without them, the device does not boot.

My investigation has revealed that those things are indeed included in the raspberrypi-kernel package. That means, they are actually a part of the kernel. So why are they not in the Raspian kernels? Maybe there is another package I couldn't find that those kernels for some reason do not depend on?

There is also raspberrypi-bootloader-nokernel, and it seems that it includes those things - which explains the difference between "-nokernel" and the normal bootloader. However, this package seems to be outdated (March 2018), and also for some reason libraspberrypi depends on the "normal" bootloader and wants to remove this one. I understand that libraspberrypi is provided by the Foundation and not by Raspbian, but surely there must be some reason for this that I overlooked?..

BespokeTech

Re: Where are the DTBs for Raspbian kernels?

Fri May 24, 2019 9:06 pm

Raspian is the official pi OS and is developed by the foundation. Have you had a read through the official kernel compiling guide? If you follow it to the letter it works just fine.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... uilding.md

darkpenguin

Re: Where are the DTBs for Raspbian kernels?

Sun May 26, 2019 12:26 pm

I do not want to build it, I just want to use the prebuilt image. And I do remember then when I built the kernel years ago, I built DTB as a part of it too. However, for some reason DTB is not included in the prebuilt image... and there is no package called "linux-dtb-rpi2" or something like that, so a question arose - why is it not in the kernel, and where is it?

My current understanding is that we're supposed to use "raspberrypi-bootloader-nokernel" if we want another kernel, and... apparently the DTB there is supposed to work with any version of linux-image-* from 3.6 to 4.9 . But this seems hardly believable. Is DTB a part of the kernel or not, after all?..

Return to “Beginners”