spartucus48

using the pi

Tue May 21, 2019 8:52 pm

hey guys, im new to the pi. like what can i do? im not used to command lines but i want to be.

B.Goode

Re: using the pi

Tue May 21, 2019 9:03 pm

spartucus48 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:52 pm
hey guys, im new to the pi. like what can i do? im not used to command lines but i want to be.

Greetings Tyler,

You can't be that new, you have been asking questions about it for nearly 5 years...

To learn about using the Linux command line you could try reading the book that the Raspberry Pi Foundation publishers have produced:
https://store.rpipress.cc/products/conq ... nd-edition

spartucus48

Tue May 21, 2019 10:07 pm

I bareky use the pi though. can it be used as my primary computer?

HawaiianPi

Tue May 21, 2019 10:34 pm

You can use the Desktop versions of Raspbian for a windowed GUI experience, and commands can still be used in a terminal. Or you can go with the Lite version of Raspbian for a lighter weight OS with a command line only interface.

Raspbian is based on Debian GNU/Linux and there are loads of online tutorials for using the CLI and Bash. You can write Bash scripts to perform complex operations if you commonly use multiple commands in succession. Any software that requires a GUI (Graphical User Interface) will not work in Raspbian Lite by default, but there are lots of programs and utilities that don't require a GUI and run fine from the command line.

For example, I have one Pi3 configured as a Minecraft 1.12.2 survival multiplayer server for myself and a small group of friends. The server is run without a GUI on a headless 3B+ (no keyboard, mouse ot screen) under Raspbian Lite. I control and administer the server via SSH and Screen.

The server was started in 2017 on a 3B and then upgraded to a 3B+ in early 2018.
The screenshot above was taken on my gaming laptop while logged into the Creeper Pie server (server render distance = 10).

spartucus48 wrote:
Yes, but I would not recommend it. There are others here who do use a Pi as their daily driver, but they must have far more patience than me, because even a Raspberry Pi 3B+ can be frustratingly slow at times. If you're looking for an inexpensive primary computer I'd suggest a Chromebook.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

W. H. Heydt

Tue May 21, 2019 11:04 pm

Whether or not you can use a Pi as your primary (desktop) computer is a complex and controversial topic. It depends on several things, such as what you expect your main computer to be capable of doing and how you use it. For lightweight usage, e-mail (including webmail), a browser in which you never open more than a few tabs, not using things like YouTube or other graphics heavy applications in a browser, it can work. It also handles LibreOffice very nicely. If you expect it do everything, do it fast, browser with lots of tabs open, graphics all over the place, or relatively modern games, then no, it won't do the job.

As for learning Linux commands...an excellent platform for that. If you make a really serious mistake--"on a clear disk, you can seek forever"--replacing the system is a 10 minute job of re-flashing the SD card.

ejolson

Wed May 22, 2019 5:53 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:04 pm
Whether or not you can use a Pi as your primary (desktop) computer is a complex and controversial topic. It depends on several things, such as what you expect your main computer to be capable of doing and how you use it. For lightweight usage, e-mail (including webmail), a browser in which you never open more than a few tabs, not using things like YouTube or other graphics heavy applications in a browser, it can work. It also handles LibreOffice very nicely. If you expect it do everything, do it fast, browser with lots of tabs open, graphics all over the place, or relatively modern games, then no, it won't do the job.

As for learning Linux commands...an excellent platform for that. If you make a really serious mistake--"on a clear disk, you can seek forever"--replacing the system is a 10 minute job of re-flashing the SD card.
It is tempting to replace large desktop computers that consume extra electricity with very small single-board computers that work just as well. This appears to be a continuation of the green tree-hugging movement adapted to the mega-cities where there are either no trees to hug or they are unpleasantly covered with soot. While making an earth-saving fashion statement can be an important attention getting device, reducing electrical consumption has genuine merit, especially if it doesn't fill the garbage with mercury-containing light bulbs.

From what I understand, the design goal of the Raspberry Pi was not to replace the desktop, but to provide a real computer cheap enough a child could own that could be used to learn programming. The GPIO were intended to motivate programming by enabling physical computing projects a child might find interesting. It turned out that the Pi itself filled a niche much wider than education that included hobbyists, makers and engineers working in industry. As a result millions have been sold.

However, just because the Pi is good for many things doesn't make it suitable for everything. In my opinion the Pi 3B and 3B+ have just enough features and capability to try and use them as desktop replacements but not enough features or capability for every person to be happy about that replacement.

LTolledo

Wed May 22, 2019 8:15 pm

spartucus48 wrote:
Yes it is possible, but....

If you're still using the one from 5 years ago, then you'll need LOTS and LOTS of patience....

If you're going to use the RPi3B+, or even the RPi3B, then you'll need just a wee bit (almost zero) of patience....

the question how large is your patience meter?

I am using the RPi3B+ as a primary computer, RPi3B as my secondary computer....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

HawaiianPi

Wed May 22, 2019 9:36 pm

ejolson wrote:
In my opinion the Pi 3B and 3B+ have just enough features and capability to try and use them as desktop replacements but not enough features or capability for every person to be happy about that replacement.
That pretty much sums it up.

I recently repaired a computer for a friend of a friend. It was some super cheapo laptop with an AMD APU that literally took more than 10 minutes to boot Windows, and was maddeningly slow doing pretty much anything. For her a Raspberry Pi would have been a huge upgrade, but I'd still recommend a Chromebook.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

ejolson

Thu May 23, 2019 3:27 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:36 pm
ejolson wrote:
In my opinion the Pi 3B and 3B+ have just enough features and capability to try and use them as desktop replacements but not enough features or capability for every person to be happy about that replacement.
That pretty much sums it up.

I recently repaired a computer for a friend of a friend. It was some super cheapo laptop with an AMD APU that literally took more than 10 minutes to boot Windows, and was maddeningly slow doing pretty much anything. For her a Raspberry Pi would have been a huge upgrade, but I'd still recommend a Chromebook.
Is it possible your friend is running Windows 10 with a digital compost of antivirus software installed before the operating system upgrade?

I bought an AMD laptop a few months ago as the store was selling the old ones super cheap to clear inventory for the new Ryzen-based ones. I installed Arch Linux and have been very happy how responsive it is. It's also nice to have a built-in DVD burner in case I need to make shiny coasters or Christmas tree ornaments.

For a comparison of how CPU performance compares between Raspberry Pi and other computers, you can make a Pi pie chart using this program.

Return to “Beginners”