hunterjwizard

Re: Pi Zero not booting

Tue May 21, 2019 10:03 pm

Correct, no LEDs ever show at any time regardless of power source; every tested power source has powered the Pi3 without issue.

LTolledo

Tue May 21, 2019 10:10 pm

Most likely you got defective RPiZ if its not powering via microUSB.

you may need to have those replaced as soon as possible. Better contact the seller about it.....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

hunterjwizard

Tue May 21, 2019 10:26 pm

You think I managed to get two defective units in a row? Again, not disputing, just trying to confirm. Is the RPiZero failure rate really that high?

Just to note: both units appear when attached to USB to a desktop.

Is it worth trying the GPIO powering? Or does the simple fact that I get no LEDs at all indicate this is probably a lost cause?

drgeoff

Tue May 21, 2019 11:40 pm

You are inserting the micro-SD the right way? Unlike other RPis, the card contacts are face down - towards the top of the circuit board.

hunterjwizard

Tue May 21, 2019 11:49 pm

There's really only one way the card can be inserted without having to force it(which I suspect is not wise). Do you maybe have a picture of what you mean? I checked around online, assuming this image is accurate:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/uMLaNqOBdvk/maxresdefault.jpg

then I have the card inserted correctly.

dl324

Tue May 21, 2019 11:51 pm

hunterjwizard wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:26 pm
You think I managed to get two defective units in a row? Again, not disputing, just trying to confirm. Is the RPiZero failure rate really that high?
I bought a Pi Zero and a Pi Zero W from two different sources. All 4 worked.
does the simple fact that I get no LEDs at all indicate this is probably a lost cause?
There's only one LED (green) on the Pi Zero W and it indicates accesses to the microSD card. It should be blinking as the Pi boots.

When you connected the Pi to your computer, power was being supplied through the USB OTG connector. When you're trying to boot, power is coming from the power USB connector. When you have power connected, you should be able to measure 5V on pins 2 or 4 (GND is on pin 6, and others) and 3.3V on pin 1 or 17.
zwHeader.jpg
zwHeader.jpg (26.74 KiB) Viewed 404 times

rpdom

Wed May 22, 2019 3:07 am

Is your Pi Zero in a case? There have been some reports of the mini-HDMI adaptors not pushing in far enough to make contact.

Although the complete lack of LED activity is not a good sign.
Signature is on holiday.

LTolledo

Wed May 22, 2019 9:35 am

As a last resort (and if you are willing to sacrifice it) you may try to power the RPiZero via the GPIO headers pin 2 (+5v ) and pin 6 (Gnd).

do double (or even triple) check the connection before powering.
once you are confident that you made the right connection, power up the RPiZero (dont forget to put in the working microSD from the other RPi)

if the LED blinks, and boots the RPiZero, the microUSB port may already be damaged.
if the LED does not blink, your RPi is RiP..... call the seller if it is still under warranty.....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

hunterjwizard

Wed May 22, 2019 3:05 pm

Yep, sounds like I need to go ahead and return both of them. Not really sure what to do, here. Getting two dead ones in a row is highly disconcerting.

dl324

Wed May 22, 2019 4:24 pm

hunterjwizard wrote:
Yep, sounds like I need to go ahead and return both of them. Not really sure what to do, here. Getting two dead ones in a row is highly disconcerting.
Have you measured the voltage on the headers when you're trying to boot? It could be that the connections on the power connector are messed up. Though having it happen on two boards is unlikely unless you're doing something to put mechanical stress on the connector.

Have you tried applying power to the header pins (carefully so you don't short anything or connect to the wrong pins)?

hunterjwizard

Wed May 22, 2019 8:11 pm

dl324 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 4:24 pm
hunterjwizard wrote:
Have you measured the voltage on the headers when you're trying to boot? It could be that the connections on the power connector are messed up. Though having it happen on two boards is unlikely unless you're doing something to put mechanical stress on the connector.

Have you tried applying power to the header pins (carefully so you don't short anything or connect to the wrong pins)?
I hadn't checked the voltage yet, but was going to try that tonight. I'm not doing anything abnormal to the pis, they aren't in a case, just floating free. I suppose a bad USB cable is potentially a problem, but why would it only damage the zero and not the 3? I don't know, but it keeps me awake at night.

I hadn't tried applying power directly yet, either. Was thinking about ways I could do that.

Does anyone happen to know if there's a place that sells pre-configured/tested pis? Eventually I need a working zero for this project, I wouldn't mind paying a few extra bucks to get one with a boot card and a note saying "yes, this one runs."

B.Goode

Wed May 22, 2019 8:36 pm

Does anyone happen to know if there's a place that sells pre-configured/tested pis?

Extract from STICKY: Is your Pi not booting? (The Boot Problems Sticky) viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58151
Before we address the reasons why your Pi may not be booting, there are some important facts you should know.

Factory-tested
Every Raspberry Pi has been tested and shown to be working before it leaves the factory, so you can be confident that your Pi has booted successfully at least once! Manufacturing problems do happen, and it is technically possible that your Pi might be DOA. The chances of this being the case, though, are extremely slim. Raspberry PI`s do not usually stop working for no reason: in the majority of cases, not booting points to an issue with the SD card, not to a defective Pi. It is also important to note that the Pi might be booting, but there may be another reason why you are not getting video output.

So every RPi board purchased as being 'New' from a reputable vendor will have been factory tested.

dl324

Wed May 22, 2019 9:10 pm

hunterjwizard wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:11 pm
Does anyone happen to know if there's a place that sells pre-configured/tested pis?
No company that wants to stay in business very long will ship product that hasn't been tested.

There's always the possibility that parts that pass QA tests could end up being DOA for the end user due to infant mortality.

Do the rest of the tests that have been suggested. If nothing still works, do a return. What you don't want to do is send them back only to be told that it was operator error and be billed for their time and return shipping.

Where are you located? Maybe someone local would be willing to help you.

hunterjwizard

Wed May 22, 2019 9:24 pm

I had assumed the units went through basic QA-testing. I work for an electronics company myself, and am pals with the QA guy. But I also know small, cheap electronics(such as the RPi) get run off in massive quantities, and at least some failure rate is to be expected. However, if the devices are being tested and booting at the factory, that does substantially lower the likelyhood that I somehow received two defective RPis in a row. So, more likely(and I am perfectly willing to embrace this) we've got operator-error.

I have some new SHDC cards arriving today(different brand) I plan to try. What I had meant was I was hoping for was to find someone who sold a Pi and card that had already been pre-loaded with Rasbian and booted on that pi, not to imply that the pis aren't fully tested before leaving the factory. I'm sure I've just done something wrong, but am running out of ideas as to what it could be.

hunterjwizard

Sat May 25, 2019 10:44 pm

So I finally got the new SDHC cards in and decided to start fresh. And... both pis work fine. Still not sure what I was doing wrong, but I now have a pair of fully-booting Pi Zero Ws. I'm going to go ahead and keep them both, since there's no shortage of uses for these things. Thanks for all the help!

Return to “Beginners”