pasjr78

Need to operate 12 servos at a range of 1200 yards

Tue May 21, 2019 3:12 am

Hello, I have a project in mind, and no I have no clue how to do it, nor have I obtained any hardware yet. What I want to create needs to operate 12 servos, one at a time upon command of pushing a button, as well as I need to be able to operate from a distance of around 1200 yards, out doors, somehow wireless. The 12 servos, will all be together as a unit, but operate independently. All they need to do is say turn 60-90degs and return to there starting postion. I have kind of searched around online. And I have not found much as to how to even begin. What I did find is that the RaspberryPi world is the world I should be in for this. So I am hoping I can get some amazing guidance, so I can present it to my investor so I can buy the hardware to get started.

topguy

Re: I Have No Clue.

Tue May 21, 2019 6:35 pm

Your main problem is distance.

But its unclear from your description exactly where that distance come into play.
- I'm guessing the "button" is near the operator ( you ) in this scenario, and the servos are 1200 yards away.
- How much obstructions ( houses, forest, hills ) are in this 1200 yard distance.
- Is there 12 buttons or just one ? ( and if its only one, how critical is it that all twelve servos move at the same time ? )
- Also how far is one servo from another servo ?
- Do each servo location have power, are these small servos or big ones ?

davidcoton

Re: I Have No Clue.

Tue May 21, 2019 6:42 pm

At 1200 yards you will need some form of dedicated radio link. You could check out LoRa, or find a proprietary solution. Just make sure that it is legal in your country, as a radio link capable of sending data that distance can also cause serioous interference and if illegal could attract the interest of the authorities.
Signature retired

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Need to operate 12 servos at a range of 1200 yards

Wed May 22, 2019 8:14 am

pasjr78 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:12 am
Hello, I have a project in mind, and no I have no clue how to do it, nor have I obtained any hardware yet. What I want to create needs to operate 12 servos, one at a time upon command of pushing a button, as well as I need to be able to operate from a distance of around 1200 yards, out doors, somehow wireless. The 12 servos, will all be together as a unit, but operate independently. All they need to do is say turn 60-90degs and return to there starting postion. I have kind of searched around online. And I have not found much as to how to even begin. What I did find is that the RaspberryPi world is the world I should be in for this. So I am hoping I can get some amazing guidance, so I can present it to my investor so I can buy the hardware to get started.
Shooting range?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

PiGraham

Wed May 22, 2019 8:26 am

jamesh wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:14 am

Shooting range?
That was my thought too.

The OP isn't really a question about RPI, it's about radio comms / remote control.

B.Goode

Wed May 22, 2019 8:39 am

After removing the technology specific parts of the post -
I have a project in mind, and no I have no clue how to do it... I am hoping I can get some amazing guidance, so I can present it to my investor

No further comment...

jamesh

Wed May 22, 2019 8:54 am

B.Goode wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:39 am
After removing the technology specific parts of the post -
I have a project in mind, and no I have no clue how to do it... I am hoping I can get some amazing guidance, so I can present it to my investor

No further comment...
Indeed.

I am reminded of a story of a sister company to a place I used to work. Marketing guy stomps in to R&D, "I've got a fantastic idea, we all need to get together to brainstorm". So, they all get together, and the guys comes out with "We need to make a microwave, but that COOLS things down instead!!. You guys can do that, right?"
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Gavinmc42

Wed May 22, 2019 10:34 am

OP wants a lot for his/her first post.

LoRa is one answer.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

LTolledo

Wed May 22, 2019 9:37 pm

If there is no other choice..... you can always use 1200 yards of control wires for the servos.... ;)
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

JohnsUPS

Wed May 22, 2019 11:15 pm

Seems like wireless would be the way to go.
I have had good luck with these:
https://www.amazon.com/EnGenius-Technol ... 2-fkmrnull

I have deployed a set (for remote barn security cameras), and a friend of mine has deployed two sets of these. Work great, are stable and don't drop out. This would take care of the Ethernet connection, the Pi configurations on either end (or maybe a laptop on one end and the Pi on the other) would need to be set up, of course.

Return to “Beginners”