milincjoshi

Drone Swarm

Mon May 20, 2019 8:20 pm

Hi,

I am looking for a tutorial which can help me create a Swarm of Drones with the help of Raspberry Pi. It would be very helpful if this was included in Robotics Projects or one of the big projects.

scotty101

Re: Drone Swarm

Tue May 21, 2019 8:59 am

:shock: Wow!

I don't mean to burst your bubble but this is a HUGE project and well beyond that can be simply described in a tutorial for beginners. This is the type of thing that a University research team will spent many years developing.

How about you start with one drone and continue from there. Even the complexities of controlling and stabilising a single drone isn't something for a tutorial.

I admire your ambition but you can't just jump straight in to such a complex project.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

bensimmo

Tue May 21, 2019 9:26 am

If you start on the ground, you may want to look at the micro:bit
Use its onboard sensors to get direction etc, use the radio to have them talk to each other, add other sensors and motors as needed.
Stick a pi as the computer to start them all off?

That's quite a few beginners projects one after the other. Not something I've done.

The move to the air if you want an airborn swarm.

Gavinmc42

Wed May 22, 2019 12:04 am

HUGE, HUGE, HUGE project,
Wonder how many people and how much money went into Intel's drone swarm.
Just think of the battery charging of all those drones so they have enough charge to do a performance :o

Uni's don't have that amount of money so do desktop tiny bot swarms powered by pager vibration motors.

However, could some of those new toy drones be hacked a bit?
Those ones with the sensors you can move around by hand movements.
Airhogs Supernova Flying Orb is one of these, others are showing up.
Are they sensitive enough to detect each other?
What happens when you throw a bunch of these into a room?

Back in to early days of the new bots, Insect like behavior emerged from some MIT bots like Hannibal and Attila.
Start here if you want to try this at a higher level and don't have Intel's budget?
https://www.bitcraze.io/crazyflie-2/

To have enough power to carry a Pi Zero, I am keeping my eye on these.
https://betafpv.com/collections/2s-whoo ... quadcopter
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

milincjoshi

Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:05 pm

Ok, how about a tutorial for building just one independent drone.
Something similar to https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... ld-a-buggy.
I am trying to understand what parts to use and how to interface them with raspberry pi.

I tried doing some research online and found that
1. Weight matters
2. Motors need to be more powerful, brushless preferred and
3. There needs to be a ESC for the motors.
4. The batteries need to be LiPo as there is more power consumed.

I am looking for a start to end tutorial which is something like the buggy tutorial mentioned above which can teach me how to hook the parts together and program the drone to fly.

Lego51

Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:20 am

If you go to flitetest.com they have a ton of information on drones and rc aircraft. They have some fantastic vids on YouTube about PIDs and all of the intricacies of drones. Some great info on beta flight which is a flight controller software that runs on a lot of drone controller boards. I would start by buying and learning to fly a small drone . Learn how to tune and adjust it. That will teach you a lot about how the controller boards work and how their on board sensors interact. I hope that helps .:)

Gavinmc42

Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:03 am

I'm dancing on Rainbows.

Andyroo

Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:30 pm

One thought I had is to use a couple of small wheeled robots and get them to work in sync. Even something like the CamJam will let you learn a lot about control / autonomous design / communication at a lot slower speed (robot not you).

Its a lot simpler to work out two dimensions at first (to say nothing of being cheaper - a bomb costs less than a crash) and get the links / controls up and running then add a couple more before adding third dimension. By using furniture in the room you can learn about part of the swarm dodging around things while other bits can move directly.

Somewhere in here you will need to have have mastered the basics of flight control for one unit and thats not as simple as it looks - when learning to fly model helicopters you are told it is cheaper to buy a training machine for a few £100 than replace the blades / frame on a more expensive machine to master the basics (not saying they where right BUT :oops: :lol: )
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

Gavinmc42

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:11 am

Use three of these wheels?
https://www.rotacaster.com.au/shop/35mm ... eels/index
Four will work if you have some sort of suspension.

Might be able to use small stepper motors in direct drive, size 11?
Nothing to wear out compared to DC gear motors which will need speed control for best operation.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

Return to “Beginners”